PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brakes

DanB
07-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I have talked to some pilots who have had limited success with parking brakes. One indicated that he bought a "lower end" brake and it turned out to be worthless. Could someone steer me to a parking brake system that has worked well for them? I have Grove wheels and brakes and I took a look at their system...does anyone use that one? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,

SkyPirate
07-12-2009, 04:01 PM
you can use a line lock similar to what the hydraulic equiped brake systems that wreckers use,..it's about 2 inches by 3 inches by 3/4" thick ..you apply the brakes ..actuate the lock ..let off the brakes,..when you want to roll ..de activate the line lock,..now ..where to get one ..ebay says they have them listed,..but most of the truck/auto parts stores should carry them or know where to get them,..
don't get the system used for drag racing ..it's too big in size and weight,.. and the price tag will choke a horse.

once you see one ..there really isnt much to it ..one could be built with a little ingenuity

the easiest form of a line lock .. a gate valve that can be easily reached,..apply the brake ..close the valve,..problem is you'd need 2 ,..one for each wheel,..could hook up a dual control rod,..that went down to both valves.. mounted under the instrument panel,..brass gate valve's would be best,..apply brakes pull control rod to close gate valves,.. when you want to roll,..press in control rod..gates open

Chase

the drawing below is only for an example,..the "L" brackets should actually be on the other side of the brake lines ..if anyone want's to build one of these ..let me know I will give you an accurate diagram.

the bottom drawing is more accurate

Slyfox
07-12-2009, 04:36 PM
I have the matco parking brake in my RV. Absolutely love it. Check with matco.

SkyPirate
07-12-2009, 04:49 PM
the matco is basically a dual gate valve ..looks clean,..will do the job very well.

http://media1.veracart.com/matco/item_images/set_1/3579/md.jpg?1231266272

DesertFox4
07-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Dan, Kitfox Aircraft has one on page 35 of their parts catalog for $159.00

DanB
07-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Chase, I appreciated your drawing to drive it home...I'm a visual learner :)
Steve, I'll take a look at the catalog.