PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Matco Solid Tail-wheel to Pneumatic

Jono
09-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Hi All,

We’ve just upgraded from the 6” Solid wheel to the 7” pneumatic wheel (WHLT-7P) and others may find this post of use one day.

A while back Dad and I were taxiing out for a local flight when the 2-leaf tailspring finally decided to give way after years of service. I emailed John McBean who helped us to organize a new and improved 3 leaf spring. John also mentioned that it would be a good idea to move away from the solid tailwheel that we had (Skystar kit supplied).

When at Oshkosh this year we wandered over to the Matco stand and started talking to the (very helpful) staff. Soon after we’d done a deal and we were the proud owners of a new 7” inch tailwheel.
We opted for the 7” the staff at Matco explained:

“The 7 inch tire holds more air and is less susceptible to pressure changes as the 6 inch pneumatic tire is”

So I finally got around to changing over the tailwheel assembly. I found that the original assembly used a 7/16 bolt to connect to the tailspring while the new one was slightly smaller (actually there was a bush in there)
So we slowly and carefully drilled out the hole to a 7/16 (this is when we discovered that it had a bush in there.. doh :rolleyes: ..)

After bolting the new assembly straight on it was time to connect the tailwheel steering chains.. Wouldn’t you know it they were too short now. So we added an extra link in each chain and it was perfect.

Time for the test run!

Started up and within seconds of taxiing there was an enormous difference, it was so smooth and even better was the fact that the tailwheel steering was much lighter now (I do recall the Matco guys telling us why back at Oshkosh but I cannot remember the reason)

My only criticism is that I’m not a fan of the grey tire (looks a bit funny to me)9887

Anyway… those of you guys still running solid tailwheels, I’d recommend going pneumatic it’s great!
Jono

Dusty
09-28-2015, 12:38 AM
You can upgrade the rim and tyre
Machine the lower castle nut and hollow bolt,get it welded or drilled to stop it undoing.
Thes will provide clearance for the larger diameter tyre(2.00x50
Around 7.5 inches diameter ,these are available at a commercial wheel and caster supplier,and have a near industructable nylon split rim,
a longer axle bolt 2 washers,job done!
If you are happy with your present upgrade you will be real happy with the larger softer tyre.
The matco 8inch would be nice but weight and being taller ruled one out or me

kitfox5v
09-28-2015, 03:16 PM
I love my Matco 8 inch pneumatic tail wheel. It helps to see over the cowling when I taxi. Best buy I've made and a whole lot better than that maule wheel.

rosslr
09-29-2015, 01:51 AM
Flash Jono - get some tyre black and a rattle can and it will look great!

r

mscotter
09-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Have at it with a Sharpie!

Jono
09-29-2015, 04:38 PM
Flash Jono
hahahaha.....Ross, my tail-wheel is probably smaller than the bearings in your Bush-wheels!

Have at it with a Sharpie!
As a child I never could keep my colouring inside the lines.. so there'd be Sharpie all over the hangar walls :D

SS7Flyer
09-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Carry and extra tube and tools to change it. I had non stop flats using that set up. That is the front tire off a wheel chair. The 8" can be ran flat and on grass you don't even notice.

Jono
09-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Carry and extra tube and tools to change it. I had non stop flats using that set up. That is the front tire off a wheel chair. The 8" can be ran flat and on grass you don't even notice.
Thanks Mate, I was a little concerned about that.. I'm also heavily involved with the gliding scene and I know that our workshop put the remains of an old tube inside the tire (kinda like a liner i guess) and this has aparantly reduced tailwheel flats in gliders / tow planes to almost zero. One rainy day (and hopefully not before) I might do the same.

Still the 8" is looking better with each post.....
Jono

jrevens
09-30-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks Mate, I was a little concerned about that.. I'm also heavily involved with the gliding scene and I know that our workshop put the remains of an old tube inside the tire (kinda like a liner i guess) and this has aparantly reduced tailwheel flats in gliders / tow planes to almost zero. One rainy day (and hopefully not before) I might do the same.

Still the 8" is looking better with each post.....
Jono

I've got one of the lightweight 8" Matco wheels... thinking about giving it a dose of "Slime". If you use the proper quantity it's less likely to cause an out of balance condition. It also slows down air loss through the tube.

kmach
10-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi, I have been using the Matco 8" light weight since spring 2011. I upgraded from a lang 6x2 solid, it made a big difference, smoothed out the bumps. It has worked flawlessly for me. I have a new tire and tube coming, the tire is starting to get some cracks in between the ribs the ribs are worn down allot too(~350hrs). I put air in it maybe 3 times a year when it is getting too soft.