PDA

View Full Version : Ready for final assembly

PapuaPilot
09-26-2015, 08:49 PM
We took my plane from our garage to the Chapter 103 EAA hanger in Nampa today where I will begin the final assembly of it. I am going to start by assembling the tail, then the wings and lastly the prop and cowlings. I am hoping to have DAR inspect it within a couple weeks. It's about time for another Kitfox to be born!

jrevens
09-26-2015, 08:59 PM
That is so good, Phil! Sure looks nice!

rosslr
09-27-2015, 01:48 AM
Go Phil!

I am bit behind ... but not that far! Hope it all goes well for you.

cheers

r

airlina
09-27-2015, 01:48 AM
Phil it will be good to add another IO-240 Kitfox to the fold. Anxious to here about your prop/ engine performance once you start your flying-keep us posted. Exciting times! Bruce N199CL

t j
09-27-2015, 05:42 AM
Is the N number approved?

PapuaPilot
09-27-2015, 07:18 AM
As far as the N number. I got a new number and which our anniversary and first initials.

If you are asking about the 'X', I talked with three FAA guys at the local FISDO, including the head guy. We looked at FAR 45.22 and 45.23 together. They agreed that it would be acceptable to use the 'X' in the N number and that it won't be necessary to put the 2" 'Experimental' label on the plane. The portion I wanted them to clarify in 45.22 was the statement about an "aircraft with the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago". They agreed that my Kitfox 5 would have the same external configuration as an early model Kitfox.

I don't think the DAR will disapprove it. If I'm not mistaken they use FARs and Advisory Circulars as a basis for doing the C of A. ACs are informational but not mandatory or regulatory, only the FARs are law. I already have my FISDOs approval to do this and they say it lines up with FARs.

In a nutshell FAR 45.22 allows you to use an 'X' under certain qualifying situations (which a KF meets). This is all that is needed to deem your plane experimental. FAR 45.23 says if you ONLY have the letter 'N" (i.e. IF YOU DON'T have an 'X') in your registration number then you MUST have the 2" 'Experimental" label.

Even so, here is what AC 45-2D says:

(2) You may insert the symbol (“C,” standard; “R,” restricted; “L,” limited; or “X,” experimental or provisionally certificated) appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the three types of aircraft listed below. The symbol may be placed between the nationality designation and the registration number, for example, NX1234.
(a) A U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago,
(b) A U.S.-registered aircraft with the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago that is operating under a special airworthiness certificate as an exhibition aircraft, or
(c) An amateur-built aircraft with the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago.

I am now imagining some of you updating your N numbers and removing the Experimental sticker. ;)

Here is an example of a NX regitered plane that some of you might recognize. :D

t j
09-27-2015, 07:59 AM
I hadn't thought about kitfox being 30 years old already. Good job on the research.

jmodguy
09-27-2015, 02:29 PM
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/forming_nnumber/

Check the last para on this faa.gov page. It states:

The FAA no longer issues numbers beginning with NC, NX, NR, or NL. On some older aircraft, these numbers may be displayed in accordance with FAR Part 45.22. (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/CFB016AA41963A1C86256A6900512337?OpenDocument)

How is your FSDO getting around this statement? I was all excited and stuff and the feds are still sending conflicting statements! :confused:

PapuaPilot
09-27-2015, 06:41 PM
I don't see where the conflict is. FAR 45.22 defines what "some older aircraft" are. The Kitfox is over 30 years old and qualifies according to FARs and my agreed with the statement FSDO.

If the DAR doesn't like my N number I will go back to the FSDO and ask again. I will find out in a couple weeks when I have the DAR inspect my plane.

I have a friend with an E-AB Super Cub who did the same thing and he is from Arizona.

dcsfoto
09-28-2015, 11:37 AM
You need to ask your DAR now

Your DAR will be from the MIDO office. The Manufacturing part of the FAA
may not think the same as your FSDO.

EAB aircraft are no longer certified by FSDO DARs

dcsfoto
09-28-2015, 11:45 AM
In My area The Oklahoma City MIDO you can, on a Kitfox
put a NX on the aircraft. It is not required to be on the registration certificate.

David Kelm
FAA DARF & DART
7SS 912iS inwork

jmodguy
09-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Keep us posted Papua. I like the NX number just want to make sure the process is right so the feds can't complain!
By the way - Nice looking KF V!
Bought a KF V project recently and hope to start covering next spring.
Regards

PapuaPilot
09-28-2015, 09:51 PM
David,
I'm think you are right on this. The X in the tail number isn't listed on the registration, you just add the "X" after the N if it is allowed by FAR 45.22. I looked at the registration certificate on my friend's E-AB Super Cub today, it only has N plus his number after it, not the X.

Progress Report:
I have made some progress since moving the plane on Saturday. So far I have installed the rudder, prop and finished installing the windshield, sky light and turtle deck plexiglass. I'm not going to pull off the rest of the protective plastic on all the plexiglass till everything is done. I am working on tail covers and securing the battery. I think I will be able to install the elevator and horizontal stabilizer tomorrow.

I had a slight panic tonight when my spinner didn't line up to the backplate. Then I realized that I clocked the prop to the backplate incorrectly. :( I had to remove it all and reposition everything to get it lined up properly. :)

The other exciting thing that happened was finding a hanger at the Nampa airport where I am based. Hangers are hard to get in Nampa and they sell really fast. This one was advertised about 10 days ago and I just happened to see the posting on the bulletin board in the terminal the day it was posted. It is 48' x 36' and has electricity, insulation, gas heating and an epoxy paint floor. I signed an agreement to purchase the hanger this evening. I already have a co-worker that is partners in an Avid Magnum who would like to move in with me. :)

rosslr
09-29-2015, 01:50 AM
Its looking good Phil! And well done on the Hanger - what great timing! Looking forward watching the final stages.

cheers

r

PapuaPilot
10-09-2015, 10:13 PM
I got the wings installed the other day, but there is a problem. The forward spar attach bolt for the left wing won't go in. The wing is contacting the fuselage butt rib and there is still about 1/8 of the hole that doesn't line up. :( The right wing went on just fine.

Unfortunately this part of the build was done before I took ownership of the project. I did have pictures from the previous owner with the wings installed and guessed everything was OK. Now with the fabric and paint on it it no longer lines up.

Brandon, who builds the wings, looked at it and made some suggestions. I am going to look into this tomorrow and see about adjusting or replacing the butt rib.

PapuaPilot
10-09-2015, 10:21 PM
I got a ride with Brandon this morning at Nampa in the new Kitfox STI. What a fun plane! The takeoff rolls were about 150', but I don't think he was doing max performance.

The landings looked easy and were very short too. One time on final is saw 36 mph groundspeed on the GPS, but we had a 8-10 mph headwind.

Thanks Brandon, I had a great time and can't wait to get my bird done. Thank also to John McBean for giving Brandon permission. :D

airlina
10-10-2015, 02:56 AM
Looking good Phil, I am sure you will resolve your wing attach situation and be wrapping it up soon. really gets exciting now. can't wait to hear how you do with the catto prop/IO-240 combo. Keep plugin. Bruce N199CL

TahoeTim
10-10-2015, 04:26 AM
An eighth at the spar pin isn't much at all

hopefully they told you one solution was to slide the butt rib mounts in a little further and re rivet them. You might have to grind the tips off and use new rivet holes but it can be done.

or if its only hitting at the top or bottom, then you have a twist in it that happened when the windshield was attached or when the bottom closeout was done, depending on which way it is twisted.

rosslr
10-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Guess you'l have the wing issue licked by now Phil? It was good that Brandon was around too to look and advise - but with your talents, I guess it will not be a big problem.

How would the new STOL version go up in west papua??!!

cheers

r

PapuaPilot
10-10-2015, 07:01 PM
I did get the forward left wing bolt hole to line up today. Yeah . . . :)

It was only the top of the wing that was contacting the fuselage butt rib, the bottom had over a 1/16" gap. I started by cutting away a small strip of the fabric along the top of the butt rib. Then I trimmed about a 1/16" a groove in the butt rib plywood where the #1 wing cap strip was contacting it. I feel this is still plenty strong, the butt rib plywood appears to be 1/4" thick.

PapuaPilot
10-13-2015, 08:12 PM
More progress. I have the wings bolted and pinned, fuel hoses connected, wing tips on and lights working. I had to temporarily remove the connector for the magnetometer so that the wires would pass through the spar. I finished last night by turning off all the lights off in the hanger then I turned on the plane's lights. :) Am I the only one that does this?

I still need to install and rig the flaperons, install the jury struts and mount the pitot tube. I ended up buying the Garmin AOA pitot tube after the fabric was on the wing. The AOA requires another length of tubing to the ADAHRS (in the fuselage). Does anybody have an idea how to get a length of 1/4" tubing past the fuel tank and ribs? :confused:

rosslr
10-13-2015, 08:30 PM
How utterly childish of you Phil!! We are all way too grown up to do things like that!!

Hey, it looks great. Exciting times. I bet of all the aircraft you work on and maintain, this one is the most exciting! As for the Pitot tubing, I took mine out to the wing tips and through the rear spar, thus avoiding the tank and ribs issue.

I am doing taxi tests and twigging at the moment....... not that there is a race to first flight or anything! Perhaps we could co-ordinate a simultaneous northern and southern hemisphere first flight!?

cheers

ross

jiott
10-13-2015, 08:37 PM
I ran both pitot/AOA tubes out to the wingtip and then thru the rear spar. Piece of cake!! Many people try to avoid doing this, I guess they think it is too long for the tubes and a more direct route is better. All these tubes do is send a pressure signal to the AHRS, there is no air FLOW involved so pressure drop thru a long tube is a non-issue. For maintenance or replacement later on, I think running them thru the spar is far easier (assuming you have removable wingtips).
Just my thoughts.

PapuaPilot
10-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Thanks Jim and Ross for the idea for running the AOA hose, I ended doing just that and got it hooked up just fine.

Today was a big day. One thing I did was to make sure the wings had the same dihedral and washout. I measured the height of all 4 corners of both wings from the floor and compared them. The numbers were excellent. Next I checked the washout by measuring angles at the root, lift strut attach and tip. Both sides were within 0.1 degree at all three points. I think it is going to fly good so I tightened all the lift strut rod end hardware.

With the help of my son we got the flaperons installed and rigged. It took longer than anticipated but turned out good.

My to do list is getting shorter. Most of the things left are just installing parts so I can do the weight and balance. Lastly there will be system checks, calibrations, programing the G3X and paperwork before scheduling the DAR.

DesertFox4
10-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Looking good Phil. Only a couple small steps from the finish line now. She is going to fly beautifully. Good luck with the DAR inspection/sign off.

rosslr
10-18-2015, 02:21 AM
It is looking great Phil! Nice to see that the rigging of the wings tested well - that must be very satisfying. Also to have the flaperons rigged up and working well.

I think we are on a parallel path.......

cheers

r

PapuaPilot
10-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Today I am doing some flight training at Stick & Rudder in Boise. I'm really looking forward to it. I got my insurance quote from Falcon last week and they are requiring me to get one hour of dual before they will cover my plane. The plan is to do one flight session at S&R. I already have my tailwheel endorsement and LITTLE bit of back country time ;).

Speaking of insurance, Falcon offers some discounts if you hanger the plane (25%), have an IFR rating (5%) or are a member of AOPA (5%). Having my hanger is going to save me money on insurance.

rosslr
10-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Just a 'little' bit of backcountry time eh Phl? the master of understatement I think .... and I thin your 'backcountry' time in WP may count for double time!

Nice timing to do the S&R training - I wish they were just around the corner from me! It would be nice to do an hour or so just prior to first flight. I too got an insurance quote and it is Aus$1800 (Approx. US$1300) - sound about right for a relatively low time pilot with only 30 hrs TW time????

It is looking really good Phil - love the paint scheme too.

cheers

ross

PapuaPilot
10-18-2015, 08:37 PM
I flew the S&R turbocharged Kitfox today with Aaron and we had a good session. We did some slow flight, stalls, turns and 9-10 assorted landings in 1.4 hours. By the end of the flight I was feeling pretty good about flying a Kitfox. With this under my belt I feel confident enough to take mine up for the first flight. The controls are pretty sensitive compared to all the Cessna planes I have been flying.

OK, now it's back to the hanger to finish my plane . . .

PapuaPilot
10-24-2015, 09:45 PM
Another big day. My goal was to get the weight and balance done and I did.

Before doing the W&B I installed the fire extinguisher, seat belts, cabin upholstery, fitted the wing root covers and pulled all the plastic off the windows. Some items were put in their place but most items were totally installed. The last item was to fill the tanks with unusable fuel before it was ready to weigh.

My empty weight is 886 pounds @ 8.11", which isn't bad for an IO-240 engine. I just ran the most adverse forward and aft CGs checks and everything worked out OK. I am only 0.01" from the forward one though. I wish my CG was a little more aft which will give slower stall speeds, faster cruise and making it easier to flare.

While I was at it I checked the toe in and both wheels are perfectly straight. Yeah!

I still have to calibrate the fuel sight gauges, program the Garmin G3X, paint the wing root covers, check and adjust the fuel injection and prepare the paper work for the DAR. Hopefully this all can be done in a week. :D

Well here are some pictures of my fully assembled plane. The last picture is doing the W&B. Yes, the wheels are just off the ground, barely.

rosslr
10-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Great stuff Phil! AND IT LOOKS REALLY NICE.

I am about to post on my site too - you will se my W&B is heavier i think!

cheers

ross

airlina
10-25-2015, 03:47 AM
Nice job on keeping the weight down , Phil. Most I0-240 powered Series 5 Kitfoxes come in around 950 lbs empty. You must have used some helium in the wing bays! As far as the forward C.G. goes this is typical with the weight of our engine. This showed itself early on in my flight testing by the inability to trim out all of the nose down stick pressure on final at slow speed with one notch of flaps. I later added the trim assist kit and gap seals to the elevator and this solved the problem. I also keep a 10 lb tool kit in the aft baggage area to help out. Also good idea to tune your fuel injection as per the Continental Service bulletin before the first flight. This was needed on my engine to produce a stable idle . Keep us posted you are almost home! Bruce N199CL

ken nougaret
10-25-2015, 05:27 AM
What does the model v say the empty cg range should be? My SS says 9.5 - 16. I know mine will be close to the forward as well with my o-200. What battery do you have and did you put it in the tail as per the manual? Ken

t j
10-25-2015, 05:40 AM
What does the model v say the empty cg range should be? My SS says 9.5 - 16. I know mine will be close to the forward as well with my o-200. What battery do you have and did you put it in the tail as per the manual? Ken

That must be the CG limits. Its not too unusual to have an empty CG forward of the CG limit. Any weight added, like fuel and a pilot, will move the CG back inside the forward limit.

PapuaPilot
10-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Ken,

My manual doesn't give the EWCG range. The 8.11" is the actual EWCG. The CG limits for a Model 5 with the 1 degree forward sweep of the wings is 9.96' to 14.75". My most adverse forward forward CG come out to be 9.97", just barely squeaking in.

As far as weight saving things I did:
-Removed the original alternator and installed the B&C 30 amp dynamo (saved about 6 lbs.)
-Used LED 3 in 1 lights on the wingtip instead of the Whelen set (reduced 6 lbs.)
-Used an Odyssey 680 battery instead of the original B&C (reduced ~8 lbs.)
-Installed the Garmin G3X instead of steam gauges/vacuum pump/hoses/etc. This probably saved 20 lbs.
-Installed 6.00 x 6 main tires instead of the 8.50 x 6 that came with it (reduced 5 lbs). I plan to get the Desser 22" tundra tires, but they weight the same as the 6.00 x 6 tires that are installed.

My other goal was installing anything I could in the tail or removing weight up at the engine so I could use the lighter Odyssey battery and move the CG as much aft as possible. Up front I used a Catto prop, which is about 12 lbs. and installed the lighter B&C alternator. For the aft end I put my ELT way back in the tail and installed the transponder, AHRS and ADSB in receiver aft of the baggage area.

ken nougaret
10-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Phil,
Thanks for the reply. May i ask what the catto prop cost you? I was looking at sensenich but read some things about the harmonics. Do you know of any issues with the catto and harmonics? I have the mccauley for the o-200, but i cant see putting a 20lb prop up front. Thanks, ken

PapuaPilot
10-25-2015, 03:14 PM
I believe my Catto prop cost $2750. The thing I like about Catto is that they design the prop to match your engine and airframe to get the best performance possible. Many people I know have gone through 2 or 3 props before they got the right one. I am hoping that I only will need one prop.

I haven't heard anything about harmonics issues with Catto props. You could always ask the factory.

PapuaPilot
10-31-2015, 09:40 PM
Today I was able to move my plane into my hanger that I just purchased at the Nampa airport. Unfortunately I had to push it because it wouldn't run. It started and ran for about 5 seconds during the first attempt. After that it wouldn't start again and was kicking back. :confused: I checked, but it wasn't hydraulic locked. Once I got it in the hanger I pulled the lower spark plugs, which were a little oily and wet with fuel. Next I checked the magneto timing and one of the mags was not timed right. I didn't pull the mag yet, but this has me concerned.

The last thing I did was to open the plane up for the DAR to inspect and I did most of the Condition Inspection. I found a few issues that need to be corrected before I fly.

rosslr
10-31-2015, 09:59 PM
Hi Phil,

Love the photo! It look like a studio for photo shoot of a model! Of course, that is just what it is!

Bummer about the engine run, but I guess you are the man to sort it. All the best for the inspection.

Go well.

cheers

r

airlina
11-01-2015, 04:36 AM
Phil, When I tried my first IO-240 engine start , the prop would swing about 20 degrees and go no further. I pushed her back to my shop , thinking the battery must be shot after sitting for 4 years during the build. No that wasn't it. Took out some plugs and saw they were wet-hmmmm? Went underneath and found that a mud dauber had plugged my cylinder drain tube ! Good thing it didn't fire or I would have liquid locked the engine and something would have broke. So , prime your engine then look underneath to see if fuel runs out of the cylinder drain. Cleared out the mud and the engine started but ran very poorly and wouldn't idle. Now bear in mind that this was a Mattituck built engine that was supposedly run and tuned in a test cell before delivery. I thought it would be plug and play install-not so fast grasshopper. Next step was to get the Continental Fuel injection service bulletin and perform this feat. A pressure gauge rig is required and I made one up for this purpose. This is a run tweak run tweak procedure that takes several attempts to get it right. Once this was accomplished the engine ran fine, and 700 hours later still does. Every few years I accomplish this procedure to keep the fuel injection tuned. If you need any further info let me know. Bruce N199CL

PapuaPilot
11-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the input Bruce. My cylinder drain is working fine. Something is wrong with the left mag timing, which might explain the kickback. There isn't any sound of the impulse coupling either so I think it is a problem with the mag or drive gear. I will pull off the mag tomorrow and hopefully see what is up.

Once I get the engine running I will do the fuel injection SB. I am very familiar with it, as it is part of the teaching I do with TSIO-520 engines with with the students I train. I just haven't done it on an IO-240.

skbenson
12-05-2015, 01:07 PM
Where did you end up installing the battery? I've got an O-235 upfront and moved my battery fwd behind the seat after seeing post of a battery coming loose in the tail. Your plane looks great! Regards.

PapuaPilot
12-05-2015, 07:45 PM
My battery is in the tail. I saw the post about the battery coming loose and added some extra clamps and made sure they were all thick steel ones, not aluminum.

PapuaPilot
12-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Oops, I didn't follow up in this thread about my engine not starting. I must have written about it in Ross' thread.

I found out my left mag has a retard breaker, not an impulse coupling. Some how this totally slipped by and I assumed the mag had an impulse coupling. This means mine requires a Slick Start shower of sparks for the engine to start. I considered just getting one till I saw it cost over $800, yikes. So I decided to upgrade and change that mag out for electronic ignition. I settled on the E-Mag and ordered it about a week ago. Unfortunately the E-Mag is on backorder and I don't even know if I will have it by Christmas.

I got my Special Airworthiness Certificate about a month ago, so I'm ready to fly other than the magneto. The weather here hasn't been very good for doing the first flight anyways.

I'm trying to be patient . . .

PapuaPilot
02-05-2016, 07:15 AM
It's been a long time since I updated this thread. I did my first engine run on Tuesday! The picture isn't great, but that's all I have.

Now for the rest of the story. I ordered an E-Mag back in November and the it was on back order through the holidays. I didn't get the magneto until mid January.

Last Saturday I tried to start the engine for the first time and was unsuccessful. The screen on my G3X went blank and the ignition wasn't firing at all. I was pretty sure that my essential bus wasn't getting enough voltage during the start. To fix it I am temporarily using a small 12 volt sealed battery to power the essential bus during the start and it WORKS! I need to make it a permanent installation.

On Tuesday I did a 12 minute run and everything appeared to be working and indicating fine. I just chocked and ran it in place. There were only two small problems. The ammeter was reading backwards; that was a 10 minute fix to reverse the wires at the shunt. The second thing was a small fuel leak at the fuel filter, which I have repaired. There was a manufacturing defect, a little dent in the face where it seals. I took out the defect by refacing it on some crocus cloth.

Yesterday I did the second run with the goal of taxiing. Again, no problems. The braking, steering and breaking the tail wheel loose all worked great. I also conditioned the brakes.

Today I am planning on doing a third run to calibrate the magnetometer and check the fuel pressures on the fuel injection system. If everything is OK there is probably going to be a first flight on Saturday. Woo Hoo! :D

Av8r3400
02-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Awesome, Phil. Congratulations!

tjfelles
02-05-2016, 10:43 AM
So cool, Phil!

airlina
02-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Allright Phil, another IO-240 soon to be in the flock so to speak. Getting close to a flight you will never forget, Bruce N199CL

rosslr
02-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Great news Phil! I've been watching daily and looking forward to the report -the next one will be even better ... and more fun for you! I hope it is more than 'just another plane' for you Phil - it must be different working with them every day than it is for us for who it is just a hobby.

all the best

ross

PapuaPilot
02-05-2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. Ross, this definitely is not just another plane. When you build one yourself it is very different than any other aircraft you have flown. I am sure all of you understand this.

I did another run up after work and got a few more things done. The big one was the compass calibration. It was so easy on the G3X. The PFD no longer says "Magnetometer Not Calibrated". :)

I had a very interesting experience today. While I was doing the run up the weather was sunny and clear. I was taxiing back to my hanger right around sunset and it looked like a rain shower was coming in. The AWOS was calling it mist but there wasn't any moisture on my windscreen. :confused: It was really odd. Next thing I knew the airport was fogged in. After I pushed my plane in I checked AWOS again and it was reporting 1/4 mile and ceiling 200'. This happened in less than 5 minutes. The temperature and dew point were the same. I can't believe how quick this happened, going from VFR to low IFR in minutes!

It looks like tomorrow will be the big day. I just have a few more things to check, install a few panels and it will be ready to go. The weather report is looking good too.

jmodguy
02-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Congrats Phil! Best luck on the flight

DesertFox4
02-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Congrats Phil. Hope the test phase is smooth sailing.