PDA

View Full Version : Glare shield Cutout

dcsfoto
09-22-2015, 12:50 PM
anyone got a template of the cutout for the tubes at the front of the glare shield? and willing to share

David
7SS 912iS

jiott
09-22-2015, 01:29 PM
As I remember, there was a template in the build manual, but it didn't work very well for me. I ended up slowly modifying it a little at a time.

A tip that helps a lot is when you cover the glare shield with fabric, let the fabric overhang the cutout quite a bit. It will form nicely around the tubes and cover up a cutout that may not be real accurate.

PapuaPilot
09-22-2015, 05:41 PM
I just cut mine out last week. I didn't have a template but made a one out of poster board. I cut the poster board to match the curve of the front of glare shield. Then I marked a center line on the paper, the windshield and instrument panel. Next I laid a plastic ruler (so it didn't scratch my wind shield) from the top center of the instrument panel to the center of the windshield where the glare shield needs to touch. I measured how deep the cutout would need to be from the windshield to clear the "X" frame, as well as the width. Then I started to cut out an opening on the poster board with the depth and width that I measured. I kept putting the poster board in the position of the glare shield and cut it till there was about 1/8" clearance around the "X" frame. Once the template fit properly I positioned it on the glare shield and transferred the cutout pattern to the glare shield. I cut the opening in the glare shield accordingly and it fit really nice.

Make sure you don't cut too much out the first time, you can always make it bigger. If I remember right my cutout was 2" wide and about 4" deep. It was shaped like the end of a dog bone on the aft side where it goes around the "X" frame.

Hope this helps.

ken nougaret
09-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Maybe this pic will help.

jtpitkin06
09-24-2015, 05:29 PM
I, too used the poster board method for trimming the glare shield. However, I made the template in two pieces.

By using two sheets slightly wider than half the total width of the instrument panel it was easy to maneuver them into position. I drew approximate lines on the poster board for curves and cutouts, then trimmed them with tin snips. When I had a good fit on one sheet I set it aside and worked on the other. When I was able to completely fit both pieces I drew a line down the edge of the center joint.

With both halves removed I could align the center joint with the pencil line and tape them together. From there it was just a matter of laying the template on the glare shield.

That's when I discovered the glare shield supplied with my model 7 is 3 inches too narrow to fit the instrument panel and reach the fuselage sides.

At least I had a well fitted template for my new aluminum glare shield.

John