PDA

View Full Version : Wing tip attachments

wapelhj
09-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Hi Guys,

As I get closer to covering more and more questions pop up.

As I read the wing tip attachment strips procedure I should wait until after covering to install the strips? If I drill the strips and capstrips and countersink the capstrips and then cover the capstrips do I pop rivet the strips through the fabric???????????????????/////////

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AirFox
09-14-2015, 07:32 PM
Rivit the wingtip strips after covering but before tape. I used solid rivets but pop rivets will work.

jiott
09-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Agree with Scott. I drilled, c'sunk and fitted the strips before covering, but did not actually rivet and glue them until after covering.

TahoeTim
09-15-2015, 02:21 PM
exactly what the current manual says to do :D

wapelhj
09-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Current Manual - that might be a good idea.

Has there been a revision of FAB-A-5 since 1994? I'm referring to step 8.

I like putting the tips on and overlapping the wing fabric onto the tip.

Seems like just a builders choice or is the some science behind putting the tips on later?

Appreciate your time.

Jim

TahoeTim
09-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Since you didn't state what model you were building in your OP, I assumed you were working on a 7.

The wing tips butt against the fabric and are attached with screws. I favor this method because it gives me access to the electrical connections inside the tips.

wapelhj
09-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Hi Tim,
A little background - I thought I was done building airplanes after a IO-320 Lancair and redoing a S-35 V-tail Bonanza and then I bought a S5 TD kit that was 1 percent done.

Fabric is new to me but I'm having a great time and will be going to the covering workshop in Seattle in Oct.

Builder's choice- it's a wonderful thing!

Thanks again.

Jim

TahoeTim
09-17-2015, 07:49 AM
I also have a way of trying to customize my projects. On the kitfox I am really stuck on following the book exactly the way it is designed because it's such a good design! The best I have come up with is some 3D printed parts and of course laying out the panel to my desires.

lol - it's my third (first fabric plane) and my wife says it's my last. She is an awesome supporter and assistant but she is seeing the pain I endure from the long hours. She saved me yesterday from screwing up a bubble door. I talk out loud while I am thinking about my next move. She just happened to hear me say something obviously wrong and stopped me with a spinning drill in my hand. :eek:

I seem to forget how much work it is. It truly becomes a labor of love. At my age it's harder to do the long hours I used to throw at my builds.