dcsfoto
09-10-2015, 05:48 PM
where is best to mount ADS-B and Xpdr antennas
understand they need to be 36" apart

David
7SS 912Is

TahoeTim
09-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Forgive me but I just don't get why people are installing ads-b five years early on an experimental aircraft.

Ads-b in is already down to $100 and I'm betting in and out will be less than $500 in five years.

off my soapbox

Dave S
09-10-2015, 07:01 PM
DCSfoto,

Normally the separtion requirement for radio antennas will be in the documents with the transponder/ADS-B and their respective antennas - I'd be inclined to go with the manufacturer's recommendations. Your 36" number seems to ring a bell with me regarding the separation of the transponder antenna and the ELT antenna for the parts I happend to have purchased.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear

dcsfoto
09-10-2015, 07:26 PM
First: I am installing "in" only for the free weather

Second: the mfg manuals say 36"
I want to know what people are doing on Kitfox's that
is working.

Paul Z
09-10-2015, 07:41 PM
If you wait you may be grounded waiting for equipment.

neville
09-10-2015, 08:17 PM
On my SS7 I mounted the xpnder antenna on the existing mounting plate just behind the grove landing gear on the right underside. I fabricated a ground plane/mounting plate about 36 inches aft on the left of center line
at a convenient under side point where I could pick up one of the unused factory tabs for the ads -b blade antenna. Both units work very well. On the recent trip to factory fly-in I had all the TFR's displayed on the GPS
from Seattle to McCall.

Dorsal
09-11-2015, 05:06 AM
My xponder antenna is mounted behind the pax seat and I have the GDL-39 with its on-board antenna stashed behind the instrument panel. Last year I installed a Navworx ADS-B out with the antenna mounted on a plate inside the tail (the only real purpose for this is to keep the system awake for real-time traffic). I know there are a variety of opinions on the value of the system but having flown with it for a while now I really like it and find, for me, it's worth it independent of the mandate.