PDA

View Full Version : Warp Drive adjustable 3 blade ?

marl59
08-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Hello members, very new member here with a question. I am considering buying a Vixen with a new Warp Drive 3 blade electrically adjustable prop. Does anyone know of any current ADs or had any experience with this prop? Is it a good one? Thanks!

Av8r_Sed
08-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Which engine? What prop diameter are you considering and are you planning to go with square or taper tip? Keep in mind the mass moment of intertia and any limitations on engine or gearbox.

marl59
08-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Paul, Its mated to the NSI Subaru engine in a Vixen that has an Airworthiness Cert but was never flown on account of the builder's age. Dont know any more about the prop at this time. I'm researching in general terms at this point. Just wondering about Warp Drive props in general. I fly a Bonanza but I'm looking to get a small plane to get into the back country with. Ive always liked Kitfox.

avidflyer
08-13-2015, 05:35 AM
I would suggest going to the Warp Drive website to see if there are any ADs out on it. A call to Darrel at Warp Drive should also answer your questions about the prop. He is very easy to talk to in my experience. I have put probably 250 - 300 hrs on warp drive props with no issues with them. Jim Chuk

Dave S
08-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Steve,

Not familiar with the warp electric adjustable prop; however I have been running a warp 3 blade taper tip nickle edge ground adjustable for 6+ years that I got from John Mc Bean when I built the plane and it has worked out fine.....Extremely tough & solid material and no complaints with durability, strength or utility.

Jim Chuk's advice to call up Warp is spot on....just make sure that you actually get the factory in Iowa, not the guy who sells warp drive props and is not the factory. If you get the factory they are really good, knowlegable about their product and responsive....if you get the non-factory.....you are going to be disappointed unless they have discovered the concept of customer service:rolleyes:.....just my experience.

Darrel@ Warp knows about every engine prop/combo imaginable and how to set them up.....good person. Give him the serial # on the prop and he will tell you the prop's history, date of birth, etc.

Technically I don't think there would be any AD's unless they are making certified props too...and it would only be applicable those. When you consider what some of their customers use their props for (air boats blasting theough the Florida sawgrass & brush) you'll understand that aircraft service is an easy life for a Warp Prop.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive Tapered Tip

marl59
08-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks much Jim and Dave I'll do just as you suggested, thanks!
Steve

HighWing
10-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Just happened onto this thread. My guess is that the prop is one NSI was supplying in their hey day. It consisted of the NSI hub with warp blades. A good friend flew behind the prop in a Rans S-6 for many hours in our flight of six back in the day. Whether or not that hub is identical to my friends or a different version would be impossible to determine. I doubt Warp would be able to give advice on that particular propeller. And, of course, NSI is long gone. I believe it was called ??140.

HighWing
10-12-2015, 07:33 AM
The propeller was a Cap 140. I found a pic of the Rans and it had the square tip blades. The computer is still down so can't add pics yet.