PDA

View Full Version : Engine Instruments

kitfox2009
08-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Hi all
I am considering modernizing the engine instrumentation on my 1999 Vixen UL 912.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to find replacement sending units to match up with the Westac gauges so maybe I should join the digital age.
I am looking for suggestions from the users on the forum in order to replace the round oil pressure and temperature, fuel pressure, EGT CHT , voltage and coolant temperature. New manifold pressure might be nice as well.
Is there ONE reasonably priced reliable unit that would replace all of the above? Approximate cost would be helpful.
I don't really want to change over to a complete glass cockpit,hopefully just engine monitoring.
Would appreciate experiences and suggestions.
Thanks
Don

DesertFox4
08-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Don, I've had excellent service through two Kitfoxs and 2500 + hours flight time using Grand Rapids Technologies EIS. They have a model specifically for a Rotax and all the engine monitoring features you would need. A very nice option is the fuel flow feature for around $300.00 extra over the basic unit. You may also add altimeter and VSI and really clean up your panel. I've had great customer service from them the two times needed. Both were compitantly delt with right over the phone.
The only draw back is the readout is rectangular in shape and would require some panel reworking.
If you would like to retain that very nice looking panel, you should give our sponsor MGL's website a good look. They have both 3 1/8th & 2 1/4" digital engine instruments that would drop right in your existing holes.

rv9ralph
08-07-2015, 12:01 AM
After the needle for the coolant gauge fell loose, I decided it was time to replace my Westec quad instruments on my KF3. I purchased the MGL 3 1/8 in instruments that i will be installing this weekend. The E1 EMS has 4 thermocouple channels and 2 pressure/temp channels. It also gives the bus voltage, RPM and Hobbs. I also purchased the TP-2 which has 2 channels for pressure temp. My plan is to put the coolant and oil temp on the TP-2. And 2 EGT, 2 CHT, Oil Pressure and voltage on the E-1.
I can't tell you how well they work yet, but MGL in their US office in Torrence, CA was very helpful in answering my questions before purchase.

Ralph

TahoeTim
08-07-2015, 07:40 AM
When I was laying out my panel, I started with the same solution as Ralph. I ended up going with the MGL Extreme EMS to have it all contained in one gauge. I added the fuel cube and fuel pressure. The smaller footprint and the color screen tipped the scale for me over the mgl gauges and grand rapids.

cap01
08-07-2015, 07:28 PM
I've had good luck with the Grand Rapids . I've got almost 800 hrs on mine and a friends speedster has more than that. the few little problems that we've had the Grand Rapids people have really good to work with. The fuel flow option was worth the money , only thing, you've got to remember to manually enter the amount of gas added after refueling

3 tracks
04-27-2016, 06:29 AM
I have a 2003 Series 7, with the Westec Quad gauge. I'm having the same issue with needles jumping all over the place. I'm not the builder and limited experience with electronics. Considering replacing the Westec with the MGL E1EMS. I see rv9ralf. has done the conversion. Would he or anyone else like to comment on this? Like how difficult or easy this was to do.
Thanks John

kitfox2009
04-27-2016, 06:54 AM
G`morning guys
I am not sure if it will last, but I have recently done my annual and part of it was to check and double check ALL grounds and connections. I took apart connectors to oil temp sender,cleaned contacts,etc.
Now ALL the gauges in the quad are steady and seemingly accurate!
I guess I am old school and have never been exposed to "glass" yet, but now that my round things are seemingly working well, I am staying the course.
I am sure if I was building new, glass is the way to go though.
Don

Av8r_Sed
04-27-2016, 05:58 PM
I'm using the MGL E1 on my 582. It's solid and accurate as far as I can tell. It's much better than the Westach Quad I started with. I like that I can set alarm points on each measurement. You wouldn't go wrong with one as long as you're looking for a good basic instrument.

rv9ralph
04-27-2016, 09:25 PM
I replaced both the Westech Quad gauges in KF3 when the needle for the coolant temp fell to the bottom of the window. I installed MGL E-1 for CHT, EGT, Oil Pressure, Volts, it also includes Tach, and Hobbs, additional features I have not yet used are maintenance timers with alerts and flight timer. I also installed a TP-2 for Oil Temp and Coolant Temp.

The install was easy, match wires to sensors. Instructions very good and easy to follow. It is nice to see the Bar Display with Low and High limits set and a BRL (big red light) to tell me when things are not within limits.

The only issue to speak of was that I had to replace my Oil Pressure sender. The Westech sender was a 4 wire sender and I could not decode which wire when to what. MGL sells a sender.
Ralph

3 tracks
04-28-2016, 05:52 AM
Hi Guys
Thanks for the quick response, and the good information. I went to the hanger yesterday to check all the grounds and wire connections. It was raining so didn't get a chance to test fly. Looks like the MGL is doing a good job for you guys. I'll probably install one in the near future. I like a instrument I can depend on.
Thanks John

3 tracks
06-14-2016, 06:05 AM
Just finished up the install of MGL E1 and The TP2. I put the Hobbs, Volts, RPMS, EGT, and coolant temp. on the E1.The oil pressure and temp on the TP2. Ended up replacing oil temp and coolant sensors with new Westeck I didn't have to I just wanted everything new. Oil pressure sender VDO 150lbs 10 Bar one wire. I'm seeing much cooler temps with this setup versus the Westeck Quad. I like it so much I bought the ALT-3 and ASI-3 haven' installed yet. The ALT comes with a OAT probe to be mounted, anybody have any suggestion on where and how to mount .
Thanks John

jiott
06-14-2016, 10:04 AM
I believe the OAT probe can go anywhere it is NOT in direct sunlight or in the warm exhaust stream. You want ambient air in the shade. Lots of choices. I put mine on the belly on the opposite side of the exhaust stack.

jiott
06-14-2016, 10:08 AM
I mounted mine thru the fabric with a small aluminum plate glued to the inside of the fabric for reinforcement. Use epoxy for glue, NOT PolyTak fabric cement or you will bubble the paint on the out side. Ask me how I know.

3 tracks
06-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Thanks Jim
Is there a particular kind of epoxy?

jiott
06-16-2016, 12:13 PM
I just used the Hysol that is used everywhere else on the plane.