PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler, recycle or New?

SWeidemann
08-02-2015, 01:24 PM
In completing my Rotax 912ULS on the Kitfox, I am wondering if I can safely re-use the old oil cooler (which apparently has quite a few hours on it)?

The oil cooler I have is a different shape than the ones I have found in Kitfox & Lockwood. It is almost identical in width as the coolant radiator and would fit fine however I am wondering if it can be cleaned out and re-used or if I would be better off with a new (intact & clean) unit?

It has a number stamped on it (behr 1261800065c2) so assume it may be a Mercedes automotive unit.

Advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

Skot

kmach
08-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Hi,
I am putting a new 912 uls on my 5, new oil cooler all the way. As well as oil lines . I had a little metal in my oil filter on the old engine , so I definitely wanted a new oil cooler , you can flush them but you cant be sure if you get everything out. I also decide to change all fuel lines and coolant hose and anything else to get as close to 0 time

Depending on the condition of your old engine and cooler you may be able to use your old one.

The one I was using before and replacing is a Mocal 13 row narrow profile. You can get them from BAT Inc out of Florida.

kmach
08-02-2015, 03:25 PM
I think another brand used is Earls .

Dorsal
08-02-2015, 03:34 PM
My opinion, it is an unnecessary unknown for not a great deal of savings.

SWeidemann
08-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Conclusion: I'm going to clean it out real well and put it back on. There are no signs of leaks, no bashed fins. This way I won't need to fabricate any new brackets. Same was recommended by my Rotax guy and a neighbor who is a super finicky car officianado.

Skot

Slyfox
08-04-2015, 09:03 PM
good for you, do it. just take some solvent and poor it in there, than blow out real good with compressed air, should do it. in fact, if you first take an empty 1 gal jug, direct the out with a hose into the jug, then blow air into the other opening, you will generally get what is inside. at least you will know if it has junk in it. regardless, still put the solvent in there(mineral spirits) and blast out the solvent, again in a clean jug, to see what comes out. you should be ok. when I changed out my motor, I did that with my old cooler and put it on the new motor. no problems for me:)

SWeidemann
08-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Re: Cleaning out old oil cooler, a new twist.

I have rinsed out the old oil cooler (about four times now using kerosene and finally mineral spirits) and am still getting a grayish milky looking solution out of the rinse drained out. There have also been some blackish specs at the bottom of the paper cup I drained it into. Today with another rinse using mineral spirits, some more milky looking stuff and some metallic specs (looks like aluminum). Now I'm thinking I don't really want to put that thing back on my new engine & oil lines. What do any of you think?

Skot

TahoeTim
08-07-2015, 05:09 PM
seems you've already spent more time and money on chemicals than it was worth

when i used to race cars, i always tossed the cooler when i changed hoses.

Danzer1
08-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Personally, I wouldn't reuse anything that carries fluid if I found any metal in it. Why risk a new engine with old, cheap (compared to the engine) corrupted parts?

kmach
08-07-2015, 09:41 PM
If in doubt , get a new one .

Slyfox
08-08-2015, 06:30 AM
time for a new one. makes me think lead from using 100ll also.

I also want to point out that I used my old cooler, but, I also used my flushing machine, you say what? I own a transmission shop, I have some pretty cool stuff. My machine allows heated trans fluid to flow through the cooler and blast with air the cooler clean, there is a racing filter that is in line and when that is clean, so is the cooler.

The solvent trick is old school. Don't feel bad about the material in the cooler and wasting your time looking for it. Now you know. You can now go out and buy a new one and feel good about doing it. :)