PDA

View Full Version : MGL Explorer Lite

Timberwolf
08-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Well though it isn't a KF, I'm going to be installing the MGL Exp Lite here soon. I saw the original post last year on here about the discovery lite and knew I had found my panel. I just wanted something a bit bigger. So with the new panel coming out I put my order in for it, MGL V6 radio, RDAC for engine monitoring, and navworx adsb in/out.

I'm planning on keeping my old Microair radio in the panel too as secondary comms so I can talk to the flight while flying formation and still be talking to appch on the primary. Biggest issue I'm seeing is wiring in the headphone portion. The MIC/PTT will be wired into a DPDT ON/ON switch so that part isn't an issue. The issue is the MGL radio is stereo and the Microair is mono. My thinking is to wire up 2 diodes to the microair mono output and put each on each side of the MGL. That way I would still hear it in both ears. Anyone have any experience with such a thing? I'm all ears to suggestions. Not looking to use an audio panel as those get way too expensive in a hurry and gain nothing over what I'll have now.

Anyway's I'll post pics when I'm done for anyone interested in MGL or the NAVWORX ADSB systems.

TahoeTim
08-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Couldn't you feed the microair output into a MGL aux input? It has two mono aux inputs and two PTT inputs so you don't need the dpdt switch either, just two ptt switches. Pushing one will mute the other, as I read it.

DesertFox4
08-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Shane, I'll be watching for your MGL install pics. I chose the Explorer Lite to install in my 7 SS with an IPad Air 2 with Stratus S2 as back up and a Garmin Aera 500 with weather/traffic. MGL's V-6 com also.

http://www.mglavionics.com/assets/images/iEFIS_Explorer_625.jpg

Timberwolf
08-01-2015, 10:45 PM
I could feed the Microair line into the V6, but then anytime there was a transmission on the V6 it would mute the other. I want full control over both. Also I think the DPDT switch is mandatory either way. The dual PTT switches on the V6 are only for the V6 and will allow the pilot/copilot mic to isolate depending on which switch is pushed. The only part I'm really unsure of on the whole thing is splitting the mono audio from the microair with diodes to provide a feed to each stereo input. Using the diodes allows the signal to split without allowing one stereo side to bleed into the other

DF4, are you doing the engine monitoring and AP servos? I've inquired about the extender module but they said it is not out yet. AP servos will probably be added down the road for me. I've also been using MGL central to map out every single grass strip I fly into and making a GLS to them.

Once you get the panel simulator figured out, custom screens are also pretty easy. I've designed a seventh screen as well as custom engine/fuel/info modules for each page to match what I have and want to see.

I do have an ipad and XGPS160 I've been using and am still considering mounting an Ipad mini on the passenger side. The Navworx system has it's own wifi and would provide all the info to the ipad, however still wouldn't be able to use ADSB info with foreflight since they want to keep everything proprietary. :(

I'm deployed for another month, but everything should be at the house waiting on me to get back...then I'll get pictures rolling in

DesertFox4
08-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Engine monitoring yes, auto-pilot servos,not at first. The servos can be added anytime later. The build budget says wait for now. I will be looking at an ADSB-out solution also.

TahoeTim
08-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Your microair communication is secondary to your v6 communication. if you are on the microair when a v6 transmission comes up, it mutes the secondary. You simply let go of that ptt and push the other one to talk to the tower. Two ptt buttons on your stick and your done, right?

I use my v6 with music input. I don't follow how your mocroair is any different.

Timberwolf
08-02-2015, 01:25 PM
The music and radio are two different concepts. I need to be able to listen to the secondary (Comm 2, not necc secondary in importance) radio uninterrupted. that's the whole reason for the second one. Example would be getting ATIS in a class B or busy class C airspace. Approach would be talking so much you could never get it without punching off freq...which some places don't like you to do. The other is talking to other planes in a formation on one and having the other radio dedicated to appch.

I thought a bit about the Dual PTT setup and drew out the schematic to get a sense for it. It's a bit more involved than just hooking up two PTT switches. The PTT switch works by grounding the circuit. You cannot hook up the two Mic hot Lines to a single point either as this will mess with the intercom in the V6 (if I'm wrong on this, my whole theory goes out the window for the rest of it). So, doing it your way I could wire up two PTT switches, but would still require the use of a relay and a DPST PTT switch for the second radio. One pole would be used to ground the PTT and the other would be used to close the relay to switch it to COMM 2. This way seems like a whole lot more work just to add in more chances for stuff to fail (relay and switch VS. single switch)

There is just no way to ground out either PTT without some sort of switching device. Even in the simplest of terms you would be simultaneously transmitting on both radios.

If you can in fact hook the two mic hi lines together without affecting the intercom function on the V6, you could technically hook 2 PTT switches together using 2 diodes to block the PTT from the radio you are not using.

Sorry if this is rambling, but if any of it doesnt make sense or I'm way off base on this let me know. Wiring up a panel is already a cluster$&%* as it is and the less points of failure and confusion the easier down the road to modify/fix. Not to mention I'm wanting to do all this without the use of an audio panel as most would do...you know...the easy way.

Timberwolf
09-14-2015, 04:25 AM
Panel is coming along. I tore everything down last sunday and just 1 week later the new panel is all cut, painted, and mounted. All new electrical has been run and terminated. I had to call it quits early last night to get home at a decent hour, but at this point only have a few wires left to hook up to the switches, then turn it all on.

There are a few issues that I've noticed in these final stages of wiring. The pre-wired harness for the V6 on the music port does not come with phenolic washers. Need to pick some up at radio shack. Also, the 'dimmer' input on the V6 radio is not mentioned anywhere in the manual and I've gotten no response on it from the MGL forum. I tried hooking up a line to it from my PWM but it had no bearing on the backlight. So for now it's tied up for a later use.

The CHT bayonets for Lycs provided by MGL only have about a 5" lead. Extension wire is required. The EGT probes have nice long wires.

One more good day and everything will be hooked up and operational. I'm on my 12th week of waiting on the NAVWORX adsb system, but hopefully it will get here soon. I planned for it and put in provisions for mounting it for when the time comes. Pics soon to follow

jrevens
09-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Timberwolf,
It's nice to read about your progress. I'm in the same boat with Navworx... it's the last thing I need for my panel/systems, but I didn't order it until OSH this year. There was talk about them possibly shipping sometime in September but I'm in no rush for it. I hope you get yours soon!

TahoeTim
09-14-2015, 10:56 AM
from what I have read in the past, the leads have to be extended with thermocouple wire at least to through the firewall so might as well go all the way to the panel.

Timberwolf
09-17-2015, 06:17 AM
got a pic last night of it all just about wrapped up. Few more loose ends to tie up then take it out flying today if weather cooperates. I have some 31"s inbound as well so I'd like to get a little time on the tail with the new panel before swapping out for those. Still no word on Navworx system as of yet.

Tim- The MGL system uses a RDAC CAN BUS based device that mounts firewall side where all the senders hook into. Luckily no running of all those wires and cables into the cabin is necessary.

TahoeTim
09-17-2015, 07:41 AM
agreed but I should have been more clear emphasizing that the leads on the hot side should be thermocouple wire. That's what I learned on my first plane from Dynon. I placed my RDAC behind the dash so I ran tcouple leads all teh way on the Dynon last time and I'll do the same this time to avoid a "cold joint" as they call it. A cold joint will skew your temp readings. I think you are perfectly fine the way you have it.

Timberwolf
09-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Gotcha. Wires were extended using solderless connections and Type K extension wire to the RDAC. I'm waiting to install red cube until the hoses come in so I can get some flight time this weekend

Timberwolf
09-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Panel is done and test flew today. Few issues. When I first received the system I hooked it up on the bench and noticed that the screen/altimeter jumps around by a few feet. Airspeed would also randomly jump up to 34mph or so. I figured this was normal and would be worked out after I got it all installed and calibrated. Well doesn't seem to be the case. I can go into the MX menus and reset the ASI and AOA and it will stay at zero for about 3 minuted then jump up to somewhere between 34 and 76 or so mph. Tried a factory reset with no effect.

The fittings on the back for Pitot/static seem weak so I was extremely careful not to bump them during install. I think since it has happened since it came out of the box it's either a software or hardware thing. To add to it, I haven't been able to reach MGL in california for the past 2 days. Sucks. At least I added backup insturments so I can still fly.

Still trying to get the radio settings ironed out as well with the new V6 radio. Will post back up when I get some resolution on the issue

TahoeTim
09-18-2015, 07:31 PM
grounding issue?

just a wild guess

rv9ralph
09-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Try the MGL Forum at: www.mglavionicsusers.org

Ralph

Timberwolf
09-19-2015, 06:10 AM
Not a grounding issue and getting good voltage.

Ralph- Already posted it up there. That place seems dead though and I never get much in the way of info or replies. I can still fly so guess it'll have to wait until Monday

rv9ralph
09-19-2015, 02:31 PM
Try posting your problem on the support link at MGL US website. I recently had a question about RPM input for the E-1 and received a reply from Matt within a few days.
Ralph

Timberwolf
09-22-2015, 05:06 AM
Issue turned out to be the short length of tubing that they send to connect the Pitot/static to the aircraft's system. They are sooo soft and collapse very easily.

Now to get the interior finished so the V6 radio can deal with the noise in the cockpit.

Timberwolf
02-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Navworx arrived...finally. Lo and behold, their website is wrong (surprise!) and the dimensions are incorrect. I redid my panel and will have to figure out a different mount since it will not fit into the area I planned for it. Working on integrating it with the MGL. The setup for the Navworx seems easy enough, just requires a laptop and their software. I will be leaving the country soon, so working on getting it all going before I head out.