PDA

View Full Version : IV-Speedster Rigging Help

Allan
07-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Looking for some help with my kit fox 4 speedster My wings are out of adjustment I am flying it. I didn't build it so I don't know to much. But I can see that when folded wings my right one is a couple of inches lower. On takeoff the left wing jumps off the ground first and while in the air the right will drop if I let go of the stick. I have noticed that the adjustment in the stick is already maxed to compensate for the problem and the flapper on is also maxed out. What can I do to fix this

jamesmil
07-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Hi Allen, got your question on your 4 will be glad to help if I can. To start with do you have the build manual so that you can check the rigging as it calls for on the wings? That is the first place to start. Feel free to give me a call at 910/471/9026 with any questions, jimmy miller

Av8r3400
07-30-2015, 08:06 PM
I moved this question to it's own thread so it cam be searched for, away from the KFOTM forum.

Good luck with your rigging.

HighWing
07-30-2015, 09:29 PM
Allan.

First, welcome to Model IV land - a great airplane.

It is not unusual for the wings to be uneven at tips when folded. In the early manuals the instructions called for rigging the wings according to measurements in the open position, then folding and adjusting to level. Then a builder asked why we are concerned about the esthetics folded when it is in flying position that the real test comes. The factory rewrote the instruction manual.

A heavy wing is another question and it is often due to a washout issue - wing twist. You might focus on that first. Advice is to increase washout on the heavy wing by adjusting the rod ends at the upper ends of the lift struts to increase washout. This a pretty common issue discovered during test flying. It is interesting that your right wings tends to be the heavy wing - my heavy wing tends to be the left wing. I have played with the adjustment, but not perfect yet.

Paul Z
07-31-2015, 06:03 AM
Don't worry about the wings not matching up when folded, they should be rigged in the flying position, and the statistical probability of having the tip to tip positions when folded is virtually zero. There are three Service Letters on the Kitfox Site that cover the rigging the Model IV. I would recommend reading them before you get started with verifying and adjusting the rigging.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/support/service_letters/sl25.htm
http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/support/service_letters/sl25a.htm
http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/support/service_letters/sl25b.htm

Welcome to the Kifox Family, and have fun reading.

Slyfox
07-31-2015, 07:00 AM
I agree on all of the above. If you want to see how your wings are, then take and stand back behind your plane and look at the wings to horizontal on the tail. I did this on my R/C airplanes and I also did this to my flying kitfox 4. Kind of look at the back of the wings and than stoop down and look also at the horizontal. If they match up, you should be ok on wing placement. next would be to do what was mentioned about the rod struts. good luck.