PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Varnish

wapelhj
07-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Hi,

I've read all the previous posts on Varnishing and how miserable a job I have in front of me.

If you spray the stuff it will also coat the spars. Is this a good thing? What kind of prep for the spars.

I hate sanding and painting.

Jim:confused:

Dave S
07-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Jim,

Asuming you are using Poly Fiber products...

A long time poly fiber rep I bought my covering materials expalained to me that the epoxy varnish is entirely compatible with the epoxy primer and overlap between the two is a good thing as it best insures a good seal over both the aluminum and wood in the case of the wing.

I prepped the spars, varnished ribs next then sprayed the spars with white epoxy primer overlapping on the ribs..results attached. Maybe not the identical scenario you are considering, but the theory is the same on overlap.

A person needs to keep in mind prep of the surface (whatever the surface material) is essential to assure the epoxy sticks well whether it is epoxy primer or epoxy varnish but the two products are not all that different functionally except for the titanium dioxide in the white primer which gives it the white color.

Sincerely,

Dave S

KF 7 Trigear Flying
912ULS Warp Drive
St Paul, MN

TahoeTim
07-28-2015, 06:52 PM
I have one coat on one half a wing left to do. It becomes a sort of zen activity.

I have wondered if it could be airbrushed on?

Esser
07-28-2015, 07:34 PM
I didnt find the varnishing that bad. Grab a buddy, pick an interesting topic of conversation and have at er. Do it outside.

n85ae
07-28-2015, 08:32 PM
It's an afternoon project with a brush, no big deal. It's easy. You do not need
to be neat, once the fabric goes over, you will NEVER see the varnish again.

Jeff

wapelhj
07-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I guess what I was really trying to say is that if both the varnish and primer are epoxies will spraying the varnish on the spars act as enough protection?

Yes I am lazy.

Jim

TahoeTim
07-29-2015, 06:45 PM
LOL - I will tell you it is impossible to do "in an afternoon". It is simply not possible to apply three coats in one day. Plan a couple of weeks, applying a batch or two each day. It's two part varnish so you can't mix up the whole gallon in one batch and apply that much before it sets up.

I figured out that if I did the false ribs first and then the ribs after the false ribs dried, I got a lot less on my hands, arms, etc. In my mild weather and working alone, I can get 200 cc on before it sets up. That is my "batch size". I did 8 batches last Sunday and I was sore. One or two after work each day is a good pace for me.

wapelhj
07-29-2015, 08:31 PM
I'll repeat myself.

Is the epoxy varnish adequate protection for the spars?

PapuaPilot
07-29-2015, 08:48 PM
I would say no. The varnish is made to work on wood. You really want to use the epoxy primer on the aluminum spars.

Paul Z
07-29-2015, 09:48 PM
I concur with Phil's response. Varnish is not designed to use on aluminum is is intended to be used on wood.

wapelhj
07-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Well I tried.

Thanks for responding.

Jim

rosslr
07-30-2015, 02:19 PM
.... that said and agreed with, I don't think that if you sprayed the spars with he epoxy primer ( and didn't care about overspray) that the epoxy primer will harm the varnish. In fact, I think I read that it IS compatible to overspray the varnish - best check that! I saw a post way back where someone did this as said that they were not worried about the overspray as it will never be seen and posted photos. I couldn't bring myself to do it though, even it the issue was only a cosmetic one that won't be seen after covering.

But in the scheme of things, probably best just to give up a a few days, put on some talking books or that music you always wanted to listen to, and it will be over before you know it!

cheers

r