PDA

View Full Version : Super STOL Kitfox Wing

jiott
07-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Anybody heard any details on the new super STOL wing option for Kitfox?

Esser
07-24-2015, 06:52 PM
Just that it is interchangeable with existing 7SS and 100 foot take of and landings with 100HP at 100mph cruise.

Paul Z
07-24-2015, 09:57 PM
A short video on Facebook, about 4 post down.

https://www.facebook.com/KitfoxAircraft?ref=ts&fref=ts

herman pahls
08-21-2015, 12:15 AM
Last year at Oshkosh I asked John McDean if he had any modifications in mind to shorten the take off and landings of the Kitfox's to compete with the Highlanders, Rans S-7.....
He told me to be patient.
Now I know what he meant.
I hope the STOL STi wings will retrofit to a Model 4.
A few months ago Dan Denny had a Model 4 listed on Barnstormers and his ad said it was modified for even better STOL than a stock Kitfox.
Denny's wings in the photos had end plates and fences on the wings similar to the new Kitfox Stol STi.
I tried to call Denny to ask about modifying my model 4 but he did not return calls.
Looks like John and Debbie have the answers.
Unfortunately the STOL STi wing hurts the cruise speed which makes the Kitfox unique in its class.
Please post information as it becomes available regarding the STI.
Thanks
Herman

chefwarthog
08-23-2015, 12:52 PM
This is a litle vidéo John explaination truly those new wings kit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K5A8qlRVqw

Esser
08-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Did anyone in the fly in see this in action? Any first impressions?

jiott
08-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Yes I was at the flyin to the backcountry strips and the new factory STOL was there flown by Brandon, the wing builder. I watched it land and T/O several times and it was definitely shorter ground roll in both cases and climbed very good. The new landing gear with shock absorbers appeared to deal with the bumps very well. My impression was that Kitfox has achieved their goal quite impressively. The downside of course is the reduction in cruise speed; there is no free lunch.

Paul Z
08-28-2015, 11:55 AM
John needs to task Brandon with Practice, Practice, Practice, and then have him enter the STOL contest at Oshkosh. I'd love to watch Kitfox compete, and give the Just Aircraft SuperSTOL some competition.

Av8r3400
08-28-2015, 06:12 PM
I've been lobbying for that for years, now.

In the right hands, a Kitfox isn't just any old airplane....

FoxDB
03-06-2018, 07:09 PM
I am curious if this is the early Kitfox airfoil with stol fences? I have a model 1 with the under cambered wing and yes it does have a slower cruise. Have we come full circle?

Av8r3400
03-06-2018, 08:08 PM
It is nothing like the old under-cambered airfoil.

It's a thicker, longer chord version of the Riblett airfoil.

RobbieCard
11-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Has anyone besides Trent and the factory kitfox used the STI wing? The only planes I can find on YouTube/ google that have the STI wing are those two. Thinking about adding it to a model 5. Wanted to see if there were others flying this wing and had reports/ thoughts on it.

Rob.

Esser
11-07-2019, 11:29 AM
It is a newer wing and since most planes take several years to built there aren’t a ton out there but there is:
Mic and Darren in Alberta
John Moriarty in Idaho
the Dickerson’s in Utah

So at least 5 more

3 tracks
11-08-2019, 07:34 AM
I've had both the standard wing and the STI . With the standard wing and grove gear,26 airstreaks,72" airmaster cruise was 110 mps. With the full STI gear wing and 29 airstreaks 75" airmaster cruise is 100 mph. The cruse is the only area the standard wing beats the STI, and the standard wings will fold, STI fold but not far enough to transport. Very happy with the STI. Going to have a Edge Performanc STI 154 HP. very soon, Just waiting for Jason at Badass Powersprorts to get it built.Dustin Dickerson has this setup maybe he will chime in with some numbers he's getting with his.

efwd
11-09-2019, 11:47 PM
I believe Dustin did post very similar numbers about two weeks ago on his build log. Look back on Shadowrider posts about two weeks and you will find what he is recording.