PDA

View Full Version : Console Side Panel

MOFlyer
07-02-2015, 05:08 PM
I have read and re-read the manual and it does not state to put the flange of the side panel under the floor board. Is there something in the upholstery kit that makes not putting it under the floor board ok? I've already drilled the panel to the center face but I can always cover that up if needed. I would also need to re-trim the floor boards to make it work. Hopefully, somebody tells me that the upholstery kit makes this ok.

Mike

TahoeTim
07-02-2015, 06:31 PM
The carpet floor will cover the flange.

Mesteve
06-22-2019, 07:37 AM
At the risk of resurrecting an old thread...

I had the same question but mine is triggered by how much I will need to trim off the top edge to make it flush with the console top.

jrevens
06-22-2019, 08:39 AM
I think that you need the floor panels, as well as the top in position in order to accurately trim those side panels, if necessary, Steve.

Mesteve
06-22-2019, 09:04 AM
I “assumed” as much. But, some of the things I find myself having to trim boggle me though, thinking that Kitfox does this as a production aircraft, do they really spend this much time trimming all of these pieces? I mean I understand we have to “fabricate” some, but it always make me second guess if I’m looking at a problem the right way...

airlina
06-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Now mind you, mine is a Series 5 and back then we put the flange of the side console under the plywood floor, as not evreybody including me , used carpet on the floor. I made thin aluminum foot panels over the plywood for plywood protection, thus that flange wood show so under the floor it went. Bruce N199CL

bumsteer
06-22-2019, 06:03 PM
FYI, my Series 5 manual (1998) has a note that the flanges on the side panels go under the floor panels as airlina has stated and match drilled to the tabs.

Rick

aviator79
06-25-2019, 08:47 AM
I think flanges on top is a better idea if you plan to add upholstery. I imagine most everyone has something they may want to inspect or service in the center console (fuel lines, wiring, rudder pulleys, etc). It's convenient to remove a side panel to do this. With the factory upholstery kit, if you put the flange under a floorboard, I would think you'd have to at least loosen the seat so that you could pull out the floormat, so you could remove the floorboard before you could remove the side panel.

jrevens
06-26-2019, 07:50 AM
I think flanges on top is a better idea if you plan to add upholstery. I imagine most everyone has something they may want to inspect or service in the center console (fuel lines, wiring, rudder pulleys, etc). It's convenient to remove a side panel to do this. With the factory upholstery kit, if you put the flange under a floorboard, I would think you'd have to at least loosen the seat so that you could pull out the floormat, so you could remove the floorboard before you could remove the side panel.

I agree with you, Brian. That's how I did it.

Mesteve
06-26-2019, 08:04 AM
Makes sense. That’s why I love these forums! There is no way you would have that hindsight before installation outside of waiting for a buddy or builder to come by and take a look-see...