PDA

View Full Version : Will not charge

tconeal@hotmail.com
06-27-2015, 08:05 PM
I have a kitfox 4 with a 912, it will not charge what do I need to check?

Av8r3400
06-27-2015, 08:50 PM
First place to start is the connections on the voltage regulator.

(I had a charging problem that tracked to a bad connection of the wires coming off the engine to the voltage regulator.)

rv9ralph
06-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Here are a few things to check.
* Check the current load... add the rated amperage draw of each of your electronic things that draw current (radio, transponder, lights, strobes, intercom, etc.) The built in generator is rated for approximately 20 Amps, the ignition system takes about 5 Amps, leaving approximate 15 for the system load. If all is used, nothing is left for charging.
* There is a 25 Amp fuse between the rectifier/regulator and the battery. If the fuse is blown, the battery will not charge.
* Here is a link to a short article on testing the rectifier/regulator:
http://pointsforpilots.blogspot.com/2012/12/testing-rotax-912914-generator-and.html

Gook Luck,
Ralph

beeryboats
06-30-2015, 05:25 PM
We rebuild alternators and starters at work. Most of the time someone brings back an alternator the first thing we ask the customer is if they checked their grounds. It's amazing how a little corrosion on the connectors can degrade a good ground connection.

cap01
07-29-2016, 04:20 PM
i realize this is an old post but ill try . wondering if anyone has had any problems with the insulation on the yellow wires going to the regulator? i have seen two engines that the insulation has degraded to a point that the insulation was gummie , could be scraped with a fingernail . both these engines were late 90s or early 2000 vintage . one of these engines has never been started so it can't be caused by chemicals.

Av8r3400
07-30-2016, 04:25 AM
Yes it does happen. That's why there was a recall to replace the stators. Unfortunately that has long ago expired. Now it will have to be paid for. I've seen the adhesive in certain tape cause the insulation to soften.

If the engine is not installed yet, you may be able to replace just the wires more easily, but be sure to inspect their entire length.

cap01
07-30-2016, 06:48 AM
thanks, I had thought that this condition could have been related to the stator recall. seems strange that insulation on the unused engine would soften just from age. neither of these engines are on my plane, I haven't had any problems but will have to check the insulation . my engine is a early 90s vintage.