PDA

View Full Version : Another First Flight

JohnB
06-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Oh, I got that Kitfox grin today and haven't been able to wipe it off.

Spent last week at Stick and Rudder learning the ups and downs (and bounces and swerves) of tailwheel flying from Preston. He did a great job of preparing me for my first flight. Although I think I may have been a bit of a challenge for him since I hadn't flown as PIC in 17 years and had no tailwheel time at all.

Felt right at home in my plane and she flies very nicely. Maybe just a hint of a left roll tendency, but very minor and not enough to worry about until I get some passenger weight in her to see if that changes things.

The only thing I'm changing for the second flight is a little more pitch on the prop as I was flirting with the red line even in the climb.

Thanks to all on this forum for helping to make my dream come true.

https://youtu.be/DyafECWL2Pw

SkySteve
06-24-2015, 02:42 PM
John,
Nice plane, nice flight, nice comments from the camera woman. Nice, nice, nice!!

rosslr
06-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Congratulations John! What a great achievement after a long layoff from flying and it all looked totally professional!! Look forward to more posts of your flying adventures - and the wonderful enthusiastic commentary from the camera person as well!

cheers

ross

Paul Z
06-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Oh, I got that Kitfox grin today and haven't been able to wipe it off.

Spent last week at Stick and Rudder learning the ups and downs (and bounces and swerves) of tailwheel flying from Preston. He did a great job of preparing me for my first flight. Although I think I may have been a bit of a challenge for him since I hadn't flown as PIC in 17 years and had no tailwheel time at all.

I love your Quote “learning the ups and downs (and bounces and swerves) of tailwheel flying”. Describes it well, Preston is a great instructor. You left out my favorite, my daughter always yells “Oh S**t we’re gonna die!”

I definitely does put a Grin on your face! Have fun and keep the tail wheel behind you! I love the Color, the dark maroon & white looks great, my school colors! That is a very nice paint scheme, and I like your wig wag lights!

Meyertheflyer
06-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Beautiful aircraft and paint scheme! I love that grass strip too. Congratulations!

av8rps
06-25-2015, 07:13 PM
John,

Congats!! That first flight video looked like you had done it a hundred times before. It looks like you have yourself one sweet Kitfox.

Oh, and prepare yourself...that grin won't leave as long as you own it...:)

Paul Seehafer
central Wisconsin

PapuaPilot
06-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Congratulations John! That is so exciting to see. :)

I think I better get a few hours at S&R before I do the first flight in my KF. I am really hoping to have it ready to fly by this fall.

Are you based at the Fitch Beach airport in Charlotte or somewhere else?

JohnB
06-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Congratulations John! That is so exciting to see. :)

I think I better get a few hours at S&R before I do the first flight in my KF. I am really hoping to have it ready to fly by this fall.

Are you based at the Fitch Beach airport in Charlotte or somewhere else?

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Phil,
I have my own private grass strip on my farm that I'm flying from. I must say that I like your Idaho weather much better for flying than our recent soggy weather in Michigan.
I can highly recommend Stick and Rudder. The instruction I got was invaluable in preparing me for the first flight. I'm just hoping that no one got video of my early attempts at takeoffs and landings out there. I'm really glad that Preston was there to save the day.

GWright6970
06-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Well done! Love the video!