PDA

View Full Version : Loading and Unloading Kitfox SS7 on a Trailer

neville
06-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Here is a link to see how I trailer my tri-gear Kitfox.

https://youtu.be/k5zG3tFOvYs

SkySteve
06-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Excellent. Thanks, Neville. Do you have any up close photos of your tail dolly?

DesertFox4
06-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Richard- first off, great looking Kitfox.

Second- that was probably the best video I've seen yet on how to safely load, transport and unload a Kitfox. Love that dolly you have and the remote control winch is sweet.
Every step was spot on. Also the converted boat trailer is so much healthier for a Kitfox with its lighter springs. Thanks so much for posting.

P.S. - I made this a "sticky" so folks can find it when searching for the correct way to trailer their Kitfox.

KFfan
06-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Nicely Done.
Very good looking plane and tow rig

neville
06-24-2015, 07:05 PM
as requested here are some photos of the dolly.

SkySteve
06-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Thank you Neville. Looks like you've been busy splitting and stacking firewood, too.

neville
06-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Steve, here are two more pics which show the telescoping of the cradle shaft. As the cradle cannot be disconnected from the A/C until the wings are unfolded, the cradle must follow the fuselage. Hence the telescoping. Otherwise the entire dolly would be lifted as the tail rises.

ken nougaret
11-04-2017, 12:36 PM
John McBean asked me for pics of my trailer so i decided to post here. If you want more John or sent somewhere else let me know.

ken nougaret
11-04-2017, 12:40 PM
I hit the wrong button. Here's the pics.

ken nougaret
11-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Note the removable triangle and scissor jack at front of trailer to lower tail so it can fit in the garage. Now i may have to to do slight mods because John has me talked into 8.50 tires.

jiott
11-04-2017, 03:32 PM
That is a really nice trailer and looks very functional and easy to use.

efwd
11-05-2017, 07:30 AM
That is just what I need. Do you have plans for that? I need to have one built if I am to succeed at keeping this plane at home. Is that a 7ft garage door?
Eddie

airvet68
11-05-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm in the midst of purchasing a Kitfox IV and expecting to need a trailer. What length boat trailer is needed?

kitfox2009
11-05-2017, 11:47 AM
That is just what I need. Do you have plans for that?...Eddie

That is a great looking trailer Neville.
The one I built is not nearly as "flash" but very useful. Built it from an old Bowler trailer with 14 inch tires and torsion bar suspension. Total cost under $500. Getting the wheel ramps low to the road is very important both for traveling and loading/unloading.
Lots of pics on kitfox2009 Albums and pics.
Winter here today and we were supposed to have a practice flypast flight for November 11. Weather permitting we will do it early on the 11th and then again at 1100. Usually a lot of fun as well as showing respect.
Cheers
Don

ken nougaret
11-05-2017, 04:43 PM
On mine, from the ball hitch to the back of the trailer is 22'.
Ken

avidflyer
11-05-2017, 07:50 PM
The first Kitfox I bought was a project that became one when a wing attachment brace came loose and the wing swung around and hit a sign on the side of the road. That had happened before I bought it. I've always worried about that happening again, so in addition to the wing brackets, I also tie the flaperons together with a short length of rope. I can always look in the rearview mirror and see the rope is still there. Probably wouldn't see if the steel tube came loose till it was to late. JImChuk

ken nougaret
11-06-2017, 06:43 AM
great minds think alike. I had read about that wing swinging open and think about it every time i trailer. So i secured the flaperon weights with a piece of velcro that you can see in one of my pics.

Dave S
11-06-2017, 10:52 AM
The first Kitfox I bought was a project that became one when a wing attachment brace came loose and the wing swung around and hit a sign on the side of the road. That had happened before I bought it. I've always worried about that happening again, so in addition to the wing brackets, I also tie the flaperons together with a short length of rope. I can always look in the rearview mirror and see the rope is still there. Probably wouldn't see if the steel tube came loose till it was to late. JImChuk

I don't know what has been out there in the past for transport parts; however, the transport kit I purchased from Kitfox uses drilled bolts, drilled pins, castle nuts and "hairpins" to secure the transport braces and lockback braces. We have used this to transport a couple kitfoxes. Very secure and quick to put together and take down. :)

I do keep extra castle nuts and heavy safety wire in the plane in case of an "oops" with the hairpins in the tall grass.

My wife sewed up a tail pad with foam inserts which the flaperons rest against.

For a belt and suspenders approach - have to agree the rope safety is a good idea.

Scot
03-25-2019, 12:55 PM
I have recently purchased a nearly complete Kitfox 4 1200, which currently has the wings and horizontal removed. I need to get an enclosed trailer to transport the aircraft and all parts about 1400 miles, so I'm wondering what is the overall width LE to LE with the wings folded ?

ken nougaret
03-25-2019, 04:50 PM
I can only speak on a model 7. It is 8' 1 5/8".

Scot
03-26-2019, 03:27 AM
Ken-

Great looking trailer and mounting system. I have a similar trailer for my as yet unfinished Kitfox 4. What is the length of your trailer, from hitch to wheels ? Do the main gear ramps pivot off the ground automatically when the wheels roll past the pivot point ?

Do you still have this trailer and aircraft ? I may want to come have a look some day if you are in Zephyrhills.

neville
03-26-2019, 06:02 AM
I have recently purchased a nearly complete Kitfox 4 1200, which currently has the wings and horizontal removed. I need to get an enclosed trailer to transport the aircraft and all parts about 1400 miles, so I'm wondering what is the overall width LE to LE with the wings folded ?

Scot, My distance LE to LE folded is 8 ft 5 in. The issue here is what padding will be used to keep the flaperons from contacting the vertical stabalizer. I use the factory transport kit including the pad. That adds about 6 inches to the folded distance. There are several methods to retain the flaperons which show up in forum trailering threads. Another issue is that my machine is a SS7 and I do not know if the wing cord is the same on your aircraft. Neville

nosubt2
03-26-2019, 08:37 AM
I transported a classic 4 1500 miles with a 24 foot enclosed trailer but had to take it apart as the width was 7 foot 10 inches. The inside of most trailers are 8 feet, but the frame around the door is 2-3 inches and door cable restricts it further21953The key to making it without damage is buy a large supply of moving blankets from harbor Freight, and a cradle that supports the wings. place the flaparons in the cradle with wings. There was plenty of length in trailer. you could use a 20 foot also.
Mark

ken nougaret
03-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Ken-

Great looking trailer and mounting system. I have a similar trailer for my as yet unfinished Kitfox 4. What is the length of your trailer, from hitch to wheels ? Do the main gear ramps pivot off the ground automatically when the wheels roll past the pivot point ?

Do you still have this trailer and aircraft ? I may want to come have a look some day if you are in Zephyrhills.
Ball hitch to the aircraft's wheel axle is 20'3". Ball hitch to tail wheel axle is 7'. Yes the ramps pivot as the plane rolls past the pivot point. I've been using trailer and plane nearly every weekend since completion over 2 years ago.
Absolutely all visitors are welcome; I'm in zephyrhills.
Ken