PDA

View Full Version : Trim actuator cable

phintz
06-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Hello everyone, I notice my last flight, that trim indicator was not moving when I went up or down with trim motor (jack screw works fine). I found the cable caught and bound up the nylon tube. I cut out the bad and reattached to fittings. Should I put a cable lube into the nylon tube??? What kind??

Thanks Patrick
Kitfox series 6, trigear 100 hp

phintz
06-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Has anyone else had problems with the cable binding up. It was installed per instructions.

Jfquebec
06-19-2015, 02:31 AM
I found this ...https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/cspages/cablelubeblock2.php?clickkey=779091

It is a cable lubrification kit for 26$ ...it is can prevent a other problem..

Jf

Jfquebec
06-19-2015, 02:34 AM
My friend use that kind of produc for his bike..Honda CRF:)

N981MS
06-19-2015, 04:59 AM
While I was building I had an award winning builder suggested I not bother putting it in stating his was either nonfunctioning or unreliable. I did not put it in. Here is the logic.

You only really need to visually know where the trim is before takeoff. I turnaround and look. Therefore I KNOW where it is trimmed. I am not depending on a mechanical device which obviously can fail. If it can fail how much do you trust it? Will you feel the need to look back and check anyway? If you do, you did not need the device in the first place. Once flying you let stick pressure be your guide.

As a caveat, as I get older turning around to look is not quite as easy as it used to be. I still would not put it in.

If you can't get yours lubed and working - take it out.

jiott
06-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Here's what I do since I did not put in a trim indicator:
After I have landed, or part of the checklist before takeoff, I run the trim to full nose down (you can tell by watching the stick with your hands off-it moves slowly then stops). Then I push nose up trim and count to two (one thousand one, one thousand two). This puts the trim in perfect takeoff position without looking. Works for me.

phintz
06-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Good info I may do that!!! Thanks of course when in the air I adjust according to stick pressure!

Patrick series 6

Maverick
04-14-2018, 01:02 PM
So, is the consensus to not put in the trim indicator? I did not put it in my first KF5 but, I thought I might do that this time. However, I did not miss it in the first plane and in looking in the S7 build manual, I do not find a reference to it. Does Kitfox even address this in the newer kits?

Esser
04-14-2018, 02:52 PM
It’s an option that I did not order.

mr bill
04-14-2018, 07:25 PM
It is nice to have them just before takeoff.

PapuaPilot
04-14-2018, 09:40 PM
If you are going to install a digital panel the KF factory sells a sensor kit so you can show the trim position on the screen. I put the cable trim indicator in my plane during my build and upgraded to the potentiometer that displays on my screen.

Personally I want an indicator and would not wan't to be without it.

ken nougaret
04-16-2018, 02:21 PM
I like having an indicator. Works very well.