PDA

View Full Version : Adding Mode C

skipdvm
06-05-2015, 09:14 AM
what is involved with adding a mode c to a IV with a 583 Blue Head. I understand the engine driven system/generator may not be able to handle it.

And then there is Nexgen and 2020 and ADS-B "out" mode S WAAS (automatic dependent surveillance broadcast system)

for now I just want to get a mode c going and see what happens in 4 years.
BTW I know a lot about Nexgen as I just finished my CFI re-currency training if anybody wants the skinny.

rv9ralph
06-05-2015, 10:28 PM
You will need to determine the power output of your generator. Then, calculate the current draw of all components. i.e. lights, strobes, radio, etc. You can get Mode C Transponders the draw less than one amp (trig). You will also need a transponder for altitude reporting. It will also draw possibly less than an amp depending on model. I would also make sure that any transponder you get will be compatible with any future ADS-B upgrade.

If the electrical draw of your various components is greater that the output of your generator, then the battery will not charge. If you have electronic ignition, the you will also to include that in the total current draw.

Ralph

RobS
06-06-2015, 03:54 AM
Ameri-King's AK350 powered at 14 volts only draws 0.20 amps once warmed up and 0.60 amps for 1 minute when first turned on.

skipdvm
06-06-2015, 05:50 AM
any advice on low amp transponders that are available? Electronic ignition? ---Isn't that handled by mags? The starter doesn't matter as no other electronics will be on during starting? Any companies you would recommend selling low power requirement transponders?

RobS
06-06-2015, 03:23 PM
As rv9ralph said, Trig makes a transponder that draws less than 0.50 amps in active mode.

RobS
06-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Bendix King KT76A at 14 volts draws 1.8 amps max and 1.1 amps standby.