PDA

View Full Version : Rotax Coolant Elbow a thread Cleaner?

SWeidemann
06-04-2015, 03:11 PM
I am re-positioning several coolant elbows on my Rotax 912S. I am on a search for a M18 x 1.0mm tap & die set to clean up the delicate threads on these elbows and flanges. So far, the only ones I have seen are on EBay and are in China and won't come to my house for almost a month. Can anyone share a ready domestic source?

I'm going to try Lockwood tomorrow. So far I've struck out with Sears, local hardware stores, McMaster Carr & Leading Edge.

Anyone got an idea?

Thanks much, Skot

Paul Z
06-04-2015, 03:43 PM
I did a Google and found them on both Amazon & EBay

http://www.amazon.com/Metric-Right-Thread-1-0mm-Pitch/dp/B0085HAIFC

bumsteer
06-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Check the Enco website. They have the tap but I didn't look for the die.

Rick

jiott
06-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Call a local machine shop and ask where they get their tooling.

Av8r3400
06-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Are the threads damaged? Why do you want to chase them?

SWeidemann
06-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Larry, yes a few threads are damaged. The rest are not. In the Rotax video the video instructor recommends you get a M18 die to clean out the threads if you do this often. For me, it is the third time and I have several other pipes to go. In the process I have so far invested in a infrared thermometer (to keep from overheating that expensive flange, like I already have done). By the time I get my mission accomplished I should be as good as I should be.

Skot

SWeidemann
06-05-2015, 03:25 PM
As a follow up, I talked to John at Lockwood today who encouraged me to simply throw away the elbows once they are removed. The threads are so fine and the metal so soft, it is difficult to re-use them successfully. Armed with that new information I proceeded to cross thread one unit and successfully re-position another. So far I have destroyed two flanges and only one elbow.

Has anyone used coiled SPRINGS inside coolant hoses to keep them from collapsing when "bending" around engine mounts, etc? (This was brought up my John.)

Skot

Av8r3400
06-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Are you using heat to loosen the elbows?

SWeidemann
06-05-2015, 08:30 PM
Larry,

Yes I'm heating up the business with a propane torch & reading the temp with a IR thermometer (to about 200 degrees F), then inserting a metal tube inside the elbow to unscrew it. By hindsight I am sure I got the first one (I ruined) way too hot because though the elbow was easy to get off, the flange was distorted so much it wouldn't fit in the head. (This is before I got the Infra Red thermometer). The last one I did today recycled fine. I'm using green Locktite. I'm planning on changing the angle of the bottom two elbows on the water pump next.

Did folks get the question about whether anyone has used coiled metal springs inside the coolant hoses to keep them from restricting or collapsing in tight bends?

Skot

Dusty
06-05-2015, 10:39 PM
A coil inside a hose works well ,some factory replacement hoses here have them
Be careful to not have a loose end that may eventually damage the hose
Get creative with some long nose pliers:D

TahoeTim
06-06-2015, 03:16 PM
I used a heat gun to loosen mine. A torch seems to be overkill so be careful.