PDA

View Full Version : FWF adjustments for Longer Starter in 912ULS?

SWeidemann
05-29-2015, 10:22 PM
In my new engine installation I found the new starter now interferes with the rear cylinder exhaust on the right side. The manifold makes contact with the rear part of the (apparently longer than the old one) starter housing. My immediate thoughts are that I could cut off the two "ears" on the back of the starter maybe there is a new version of the manifold available.

I am starting with a question to you Kitfox folks first. If there is no information or comments I will call the McBeans.

Thanks,

Skot

birddog486
06-02-2015, 03:46 PM
It's acceptable to remove the two ears on the high torque starter. I bought one from LEAF last year for my Avid and they had already removed the ears.

Travis

TahoeTim
06-02-2015, 04:02 PM
I read a post on the Rotax owners site that said it was ok to take the housing apart and rotate it 180 degrees.

SWeidemann
06-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Regarding starter "ears":

I got a short ok (to remove the ears) from Ronnie Smith (South Mississippi Light Aircraft,, where I bought my engine), plus a post on Zenith site including a photo and right here on Team Kitfox. So, this afternoon I sawed them off & exhaust pipe fits now.

Skot

kmach
07-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Hi Skot,

I am putting a new 912 uls on my Model 5 outback .
I cut the mounting lugs off the HD starter , it clears #4 header but not by much.
I was wondering what kind of clearance you have , thats from #4 header to the starter cap socket bolt and the starter body.