PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on VHF radio antenna

LSaupe
05-29-2015, 01:41 AM
I am ready to purchase/install an antenna. This is for a model III. Plan to install at the top position behind the turtle deck.

Any suggestions on what works well (malke model) in this configuration? It will be hooking on to a hand held vhf radio for now.

Peteohms
05-29-2015, 02:57 PM
I am ready to purchase/install an antenna. This is for a model III. Plan to install at the top position behind the turtle deck.

Any suggestions on what works well (malke model) in this configuration? It will be hooking on to a hand held vhf radio for now.

Either of these should work. ebay

LSaupe
05-30-2015, 03:12 AM
Thanks Pete.

Av8r_Sed
05-30-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm using one very similar to the $20 model in Pete's post and it works very well given the slow speed of a Model III. I've got a Lightened mounting plate welded in which gives me a good ground plane. The ground plane is key for good performance with any antenna.

LSaupe
08-18-2015, 02:19 AM
Paul:

Were was yours mounted? I am planning on the top behind the turtle deck (factory antenna plate).

I used one of these antenna's on my PPC and it was fabulous. Not sure what it woud do at 100 MPH though (whipping around). Sounds like no issues with yours at all?

Larry S.

Av8r_Sed
08-18-2015, 04:13 AM
My mounting plates are welded in just behind the turtledeck, one for the com antenna and one for the ELT. Mine aren't on the center line which means I need to remove them to fold. Easy to do but it is another step.

I haven't had any issues with the antenna whipping, but I've only had mine up to 90 MPH going downhill.

chefwarthog
08-23-2015, 10:30 AM
I have seen one mounted in the rudder on this forum, but could not found the picture.....

mr bill
08-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Mine was done like this. It is a di pole, so it doesn't need a ground plane. The antenna is held by the wooden ribs and does not touch the metal structure anywhere. Works great !

chefwarthog
08-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Yes that's it!!! my will be done like that!!!:D Tkx Bill!!

MozingoJC
10-24-2015, 05:18 PM
I used a magnetic mount and mounted it on the plate behind the turtle deck but inside the fuselage. Therefore it is upside down in the body of the aircraft> Works great for me.

jtpitkin06
10-25-2015, 11:33 AM
I used a magnetic mount and mounted it on the plate behind the turtle deck but inside the fuselage. Therefore it is upside down in the body of the aircraft> Works great for me.

Just interested what effect the magnet mount has on your compass.
JP

MozingoJC
10-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Just interested what effect the magnet mount has on your compass.
JP

JP...I have not really used my compass because I fly so close to home I have everywhere memorized. But now that you mention it I can't see why it would not be off. The next time I fly I need to check it. Thanks for mentioning it. I am sure it was not a smart idea looking back on it. However it was the easiest solution.

John