PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need Cabin Heat?

Tomfox
05-26-2015, 04:39 PM
I live and will fly in Southern CA. If I travel to the cold country, it won't be when temps are cold.
Minimum ground temperature when I fly will be 32F.
Do I need the cabin heater? This seems to me to be a potential failure point and if I don't need it, I sure don't want to install it. Of course, I have already purchased it.

Tom Livermore
SS7 build

TahoeTim
05-26-2015, 05:28 PM
I can't answer your question but I may be interested in it if you decide not to use it. I simply don't fly when it's that cold. Here in Tahoe, the weather is rarely clear and calm when it's that cold.

Av8r3400
05-26-2015, 05:43 PM
IMO, the short answer to your question is yes.

To someone who lives in SoCal, 50ยบ could feel quite cold in a small drafty plane. It does to me and I fly in below zero weather, too.

Also think of it as a future selling point. When you are 143 years old and finally want to give up flying, your Kitfox will still be a highly sought after machine, especially if it has a heater. :D

Dave S
05-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Tom,

Another point to consider is the fact that as a person ascends into the atmosphere, you lose approximately 3 degrees Farenheit per 1,000 feet of altitude. If you climb 5,000 feet, subtract 15 degrees from whatever it was at the surface, 10,000 feet....subtract 30 degrees F. At 10,000 feet if you start with 32 degrees surface temp.....it's going to be 2 degrees when you get to cruising. Then there is the occasional non-standard lapse rate which can go eiher way.

FWIW - the kitfox heater core is pretty darn rugged..and uncomplicated.

In the end you need to determine what is right for you - I wouldn't be without a heater - just me:o.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear

Dorsal
05-26-2015, 06:34 PM
I would put in the heater based on your potential conditions and as Dave said they are pretty rugged.

DesertFox4
05-26-2015, 07:28 PM
My model 4 doesn't have a heater. Only 2 days I wished it had and that was flying back from Idaho in December. I could use an air conditioner though.;)

All kidding aside, my 7 SS will have a heater.

Paul Z
05-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Desertfox, the reason you don't want a heater is to save weight for A.C. We understand how brutal the Summers can be in AZ. You need to add an emotioncon tha has a guy sweating bullets. :D

jiott
05-26-2015, 08:45 PM
I fly a lot here in Oregon when its 40F on the ground and I am very glad I put the heater in.

Esser
05-26-2015, 08:46 PM
I vote yes, you do. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it....

If you want to have a bomb proof heater, you can go with an exhaust muff like the certified planes.

kmach
05-26-2015, 09:44 PM
I have used the heater on occasion , when it is real hot to aid in cooling on long climbs... window vents full open and heater throwing heat lowers the coolant temp fast , as well as cht's . it is a radiator.;)

I have had many early morning and evening flights where taking the chill off is real nice.

n85ae
05-26-2015, 10:35 PM
I do more flying when the weather is in the teens than any other time of the
year, hate flying when the airports busy, and in any case the nice days
I have family stuff to do. Usually do all my flying when it's MVFR, or cold
enough to require a preheat to start. So for me the heater isn't a choice.

Jeff

t j
05-27-2015, 05:54 AM
There is an alternative. My Kitfox is equipped with a biological stick shaker that alerts me when its getting too cold. Then I turn on my heated vest.