PDA

View Full Version : Warp Drive on a 582

skyraidertom
05-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Is anybody running a Warp Drive prop on a 582 with a 3:1 C box? I am having a hard time trying to decide what to replace my 3 blade GSC with.

avidflyer
05-26-2015, 06:00 AM
I had a 3 blade warp taper tip on one of my 582s, it seemed to be ok. It was 72" diameter, and I kind of felt like it was to much prop for that setup. I've also run a 2 blade 74x49 Culver (originally supplied from Avid on their kits) and a 3 blade IVO with good results. In a way, I liked the IVO best, but you have to use the knurled hub if you are running on a 3-1 ratio. IVO props have had some issues with blades moving when run on a 3 - 1 gear ratio. Jim Chuk

skyraidertom
05-26-2015, 02:01 PM
I talked to Darrel at Warp Drive. He recommended either their 3 blade 68" with square tips or a 69" 3 blade with tapered tips. the tapered tips are suppose to give a bit better cruise and be a little quieter. I decided to go with the tapered tips. The Ivo is a good prop but I was uncomfortable running the ultralight model since it is not recommended by Ivo and the standard prop seems to be designed for higher ratio gearboxes along with higher horsepower engines.

avidflyer
05-26-2015, 03:16 PM
One thing I did notice about the warp drive prop was that when I set the prop and was showing 6250 static, it was a good bit less in a full throttle climb out. That may have been somewhat due to the prop being a bit on the big size for the 582, I'm not sure. At any rate, might make sense to pitch it just a bit on the high side RPM wise. I used the protractor supplied, but I also built a gizmo that I could hook a laser to to compare one blade against the others. It was very accurate, shinning a beam 20 feet or so across the hangar. Here are a couple of pics. Notice the reddish line on the wall where the laser is pointing in the first pic. Jim Chuk

skyraidertom
06-11-2015, 05:57 PM
I received my new prop today from warp drive. Not sure how many degrees to set it at initially. Do you remember what you had yours set at Jim?

avidflyer
06-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Hi Tom, I don't remember what that prop was set at for degrees. I would probably try to set it about 5900 static and see what it will do in climb out. Also, might be a good idea to ask warp drive what they recommend for you engine. Might not be perfect, but it's a starting point. Jim Chuk

soiux201
06-13-2015, 09:18 AM
If your flying a seaplane/ warp the only way to go, STAINLESS STEEL LEADING Edge!!!!

Av8r3400
06-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Warp offers a nickel leading edge as an option, not stainless steel.