PDA

View Full Version : The build has begun

MOFlyer
05-25-2015, 06:26 AM
Got the kit Saturday morning and just completed inventory. I have come to the conclusion that there is no way the 1000 parts that came with it will fit in this airplane :) The son and I will be begin to organize and find a home for all the parts until they are needed. It is very exciting having it in the shop.

896tr
05-25-2015, 06:45 AM
I remember when my kit looked like that......seems like 7 houses, 2 states and 15 1/2 years ago, uh yea, it was.
Congratulations Mike! Your in for a lot of fun!

cubtractor
05-25-2015, 07:10 AM
That's awesome. I'm going to have to come down and check it out.

Dave S
05-25-2015, 09:33 AM
That's great!...brings back memories of when I felt like a kit in a candy store when the box-o-parts showed up!

Looks like you have a nice shop to work in.

I made the wings in the basement; and, yes, measured the stairway first:cool: so as to avoid that classical builder's conundrum:eek:.

Enjoy,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

SkyPirate
05-25-2015, 11:04 AM
Awesome👍 we will all have to come n check it out got the grill ready? 😎

DesertFox4
05-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Congrats Mike.

Mine looked like that not so long ago.

Now I'm rib lacing.

Enjoy your build.

dcsfoto
05-26-2015, 07:04 AM
Got My Kit sat afternoon.

KFfan
05-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Eggs are incubating! ;)

jiott
05-26-2015, 10:05 AM
I have been flying my Kitfox here in NW Oregon for two years now and am still discovering more other Kitfoxes around and more importantly more guys building and getting back to dormant projects. As Airfox and myself and these others show up at more flyins and pancake breakfasts with our foxes, I think the Kitfox fever seems to be building up around here. Its nice to see.

MOFlyer
05-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Thanks all and congrats on your kit as well David. I have finished the inventory and found the kit to be extremely professional in its part labeling, packaging, and identification. Still doing some organizing around the shop and barn to find a safe place for all items but couldn't help myself and starting sizing and laying out the ribs on the horizontal.

bbs428
05-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Glad you got your kit Mike. Now the fun starts.

Soon you'll be making airplane noises!! :D

Kahle76
05-27-2015, 04:47 AM
Enjoy the build. This forum is a huge source of information.

MOFlyer
05-28-2015, 07:44 PM
My epoxy beads don't look anything like the ones performed at the factory. I can work on my form but my question is, are these beads "thick" enough for the ribs on the horizontal?

TahoeTim
05-28-2015, 09:21 PM
I put two strips of painters tape around the tube at the distance i wanted. Add glue with a popsicle stick and then smooth with a finger. When you pull the tape it leaves a nice line.

your pics:
Be sure to scuff up the powder coat. Also, check your mix ratios. Your glue looks pretty dark to me. I weigh mine on a scale.

jiott
05-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Yes smooth it with a finger. It will give a nice radiused fillet (on both sides of the rib).

Weighing the glue mix is fine but not necessary. I used my wife's old measuring spoons to get good accurate 50/50 volumes.

Esser
05-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Wear a latex glove and dip your finger in methyl hydrate. it will leave a nice smooth fillet without sticking to your finger. The methyl hydrate is great for cleaning up wayward epoxy and other things after.

Jfquebec
05-29-2015, 02:40 AM
For me...it's simple...i spit some saliva on my finger and smooth the fillet...like the silicone around the bath...work really well..;)

MOFlyer
05-29-2015, 06:18 AM
Thanks all. The picture doesn't show it well but the powder coat is rough to the touch where the ribs are applied. I used the 50ml applicator with a 7 inch mix stick so the mix should be right. However, it doesn't appear that the applicator is doing me any favors. It's $20 per 50ml and it doesn't seem that it will last as long as I originally thought so it looks like I'll be getting a finger wet :) I also discovered that the epoxy acts as a lubricate when first applied. I had the ribs secure, or so I thought, so I just applied to one side of the rib and will go back tonight and apply epoxy to the other side.

TahoeTim
05-29-2015, 07:22 AM
I use my gunpowder scale to weigh my goop :)

jrevens
05-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks all. The picture doesn't show it well but the powder coat is rough to the touch where the ribs are applied. I used the 50ml applicator with a 7 inch mix stick so the mix should be right. However, it doesn't appear that the applicator is doing me any favors. It's $20 per 50ml and it doesn't seem that it will last as long as I originally thought so it looks like I'll be getting a finger wet :) I also discovered that the epoxy acts as a lubricate when first applied. I had the ribs secure, or so I thought, so I just applied to one side of the rib and will go back tonight and apply epoxy to the other side.

The 50 ml tubes can be very handy, but you pay for it. You can get a little better price than that from R. S. Hughes online (or save shipping costs if you have one of their locations in your area). The same with the mixing nozzles... they can be very useful, but everytime you use one you have to leave a quantity of unused epoxy in the nozzle that you throw away. But the tubes can also be handy for just squeezing out a small quantity of the proper mix in a dixie cup or on a piece of paper or cardboard, to then mix with a stick & use. A gloved finger, wetted with alcohol also works well for smoothing or cleaning up edges. It evaporates away faster than water & doesn't seem to affect anything adversly. I hate the taste of epoxy. :eek:
I've found that the Hysol seems to sometimes vary in consistency and mixed color from can to can or tube to tube. I'm not nearly as impressed with it's quality and properties as I am with the 3M 2216 structural epoxy that I've been familiar with in the past and that Kitfox used to use. It is less expensive though.

Kahle76
05-29-2015, 05:12 PM
I used quart ziplock bags with one of the corners cut off similar to a cake icing piping bag. They are very cheap and disposable. Used denatured alcohol with a latex gloved finger 30 min after the application to smooth out the fillet. I'm so cheap that I cut the fingers off the gloves so I could get 5 uses form each glove.

MOFlyer
05-30-2015, 07:45 AM
Much better. I love this website. I've still got to add the stiffeners and I'm convinced that the stabilizer ribs are held securely but can look at the elevator ribs with smile. Using tape and a finger to make the fillets just looks so much more pleasing to the eye. I also took the advice of the manual and used a small drop of super glue to hold ribs in place while I epoxied them. This kept them from sliding as they did on the stabilizer. If I had another stabilizer and ribs on hand, I am quite sure that I would redo it. As far as form, fit, and function, I believe we're good to go.

Esser
05-30-2015, 08:43 AM
This was the first step I did on my plane too. I would have suggested putting the stiffeners on first as I lived in a very high humidity area and I came back after installing the ribs and they had all warped. Some of them still look a touch funky but I got them fixed up.

Dutch
05-30-2015, 09:08 AM
I used the small sandwich size ziplock bags. I generally mixed the goop by putting in one or more plastic teaspoon of each component,(using separate spoons of course) along with micro balloons As far into one of the corners of the bag as I can get it. Then I mix it by squeezing & kneading it till the color is consistent. I then isolate that corner by wrapping a bread bag tie around it. Cut off a small corner,depending,how big a fillet you want, and you're all set. I found that, mixing in Dixie cups or other receptacles. I would mix up way to much.

Dutch

TahoeTim
05-30-2015, 04:33 PM
now you're on it:)

Paul Z
05-30-2015, 08:13 PM
I would recommend that when you have something you've never done before search the forum, or ask all of us. We've all more than willing to pass along lessons learned.

Jfquebec
05-31-2015, 02:18 AM
Right Paul....;)

MOFlyer
05-31-2015, 04:07 PM
The suggestion of sandwich bags worked terrific. Better than the cartridges. Does the epoxy need to cure 72 hours before I start to varnish the ribs?