PDA

View Full Version : Butt Rib Close Out, final decision?

N213RV
05-09-2015, 09:27 PM
So, I've read all the opinions on the butt rib close outs..... What does everyone who is flying feel is the best choice?? My thoughts.... For sure I am going to cover the fore and aft rib holes (in front and behind the fuel sights). I'm planning on covering the bottom edge (top of the door area between the fuse and the bottom of the butt rib).

Question.... Do I fill the areas around the rear bolt and front pin? Or don't worry about it?

Thoughts? Thanks!!

AirFox
05-10-2015, 05:19 AM
I covered the front and rear openings. Don't think you need to closeout the bolt openings. I have not noticed any draft from the wings. The most drafts come from the flaperon slots and the horizontal access. I've flown my plane 265 hours in the last year. Good luck.
Scott

WISDAN
05-11-2015, 03:36 PM
I agree to cover front and rear as I did also. Seems looks determine how much you want to cover after that. Good luck.

jiott
05-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Closing out the front and rear carry-thru tubes (bolts) is not anything to worry about. It is a highly subjective decision having mostly to do with personal satisfaction. Its not even an aesthetic item because it hardly shows. Possibly someone flying in very cold weather might notice if they are not closed, but you can always stuff a wad of flexible foam in there for the winter season. I closed mine out just because I wanted to, but have got the impression that most guys don't bother. Its kind of a fussy, not real easy job. I made some thin aluminum cuffs Hysoled together after trial and error with paper patterns.

Av8r3400
05-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Great detail photos, Jim!!!

jrevens
05-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Closing out the front and rear carry-thru tubes (bolts) is not anything to worry about...

That looks very nice Jim! I don't think I'm gonna' close mine out like that, but I admire your craftsmanship!

Eric
05-12-2015, 11:11 AM
I have also closed the butt rib and the areas arond the spars.A lot of work but I like the result

Dorsal
05-12-2015, 04:38 PM
For what it is worth I am regretting not closing out this section better (on my project list). It is clear to me that this area draws a great deal of air out of the cabin which, in the colder months, causes a lot of draft from the back of the plane. Not an issue when it is warm out. These pictures are inspiring me to get it done before next winter, nice workmanship :)

colospace
10-22-2015, 08:16 AM
I just today closed out the fore and aft holes with a layer of Oratex. I put the red, finished side, inboard for appearance reasons. I could put another layer so as to have red outbd as well, but it won't be visible, or exposed to UV, with the wings on, so I think I will leave it as you see now.
The center "fuel gauge" window is plexiglass mounted inbd and I plan to bond that on after fuel gauge calibration.
The lower aluminum closeout is shown temporarily in-place (still awaiting Stewart Systems red to match the fabric) and will be held by the door hinge screws as well as bonded with 3M transfer adhesive.
The cuffs are not shown, but look to be close to what Jim did.

Dorsal
10-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Looks good, I need to get that done this year.

Flybyjim
02-08-2016, 08:10 PM
I am about to instal the butt ribs and I am not sure what determines where you cut the trailing edge of the rib. There is a rather long top and bottom rib caps that must be trimmed to even get the butt rib between the spars. After reading the instructions several times on the install of these I am still a bit confused, any help here would be appreciated.

jtpitkin06
02-11-2016, 07:18 PM
The butt rib cap strips cannot extend further aft than the rear spar hinge point. If it did, it would break off when the wing is folded. To ensure the rear spar clears the butt rib, trim the cap strips just short of the wing hinge pin hole on the fuselage. You may need to trim away some of the butt rib web/

The detail drawing "A" in figure E-1 shows the cap strip trimmed even with the skylight angle part [A]. That is misleading as the skylight angle does not extend far enough left or right to reach the cap strips.

I have no idea why the butt ribs are supplied with very long cap strips when most of the long strips get cut off.