PDA

View Full Version : Landing lights

Nathaniel
06-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Anyone put lights in the leading edge of the wing? How'd you do it?

Nathaniel
06-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Tips? Must have missed that in the catalog. Thanks

Nathaniel
06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the link.

jonbakerok
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't know how much use wingtip landing lights would be with such a long wing. I had one leading edge light in my RV6 in the second bay from the tip and it was just about useless. All I could see was the runway edge markers. I always missed the cowl-mounted light in my Cherokee. Since I've got the "smooth cowl", I've been thinking I might try to figure out some way to put a light in the cowl this time.

Nathaniel
06-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Seems awfully difficult to put one in the leading edge with that spar. Like to have something for at nite. Tip may be enough, I dunno.

Dave S
06-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Nathaniel,

People have used many ways to mount landing/taxi lights. Appearance wise and drag wise - the leading edge or wingtip mounts are great - for a kitfox we are pretty much limited to wing tips...... :o

I couldn't bring myself to mount them in the nose cowling - brings back memories of Cessna nose mounts which seemed real good at euthanizing lots of bulbs. Told the FBO that if they ever managed to keep the landing light alive - they would have to do a check-out flight on me to see if I was able to land the plane at night WITH:eek: landing lights.....

Our aircraft has halogens mounted in the armpits of the landing gear - see attached photos. Mounting them is exceptionally easy in this case; although, some would make the argument that they add drag in this location (probably does). ;)

Dave S

jonbakerok
06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Seems awfully difficult to put one in the leading edge with that spar. Like to have something for at nite. Tip may be enough, I dunno.

You could stick it on the front of the LE, but it would add a lot of drag and might mess up the trim. I agree, the leading edge is the wrong place. I just don't know how much a wingtip light would help.

The fact that someone sells them doesn't mean they work. That "Duckworks" light I had on my RV has been on the market for 20 years, but any light that is recessed into the leading edge is going to be blocked from illuminating the centerline. Tip lights have the same problem, only worse, since they're farther away. I guess anything is better than nothing and they do serve the most important purpose of making you more visible to others. But I'd just like to actually be able to SEE what I'm landing on.

Another idea I had was to put one on a lift strut at the intersection with cabanes. That's already a high-drag area, so if you made a pod to fair it in, it might not hurt performance much. But that's my backup position. I'm hoping there's room in the cowl.

Slyfox
06-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Once upon a time I put the leading lights in my fox. I took them out. Reason, took to much power to operate. I couldn't see with them that good. If you have the 912 it only has a limited amount of charging system. With strobes, possision light, you will run out of available power for the radio if they are all on. Add the landing lights and it spells trouble. Just be wary of this.

hansedj
06-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Here is a picture of one I took a picture of, He got the lens from bluesky aviation and there are some really good leds out there.

Phantom
06-30-2009, 05:53 PM
There's a Kitfox currently listed on Barnstormers (Show Stopper Kitfox, ad posted recently) that has a landing light in the nose of each main gear wheel pant. These lights can be seen in several of the photos accompanying the ad. The contact e-mail & phone number would allow you to discuss with the owner how well that has worked out. I had talked with the owner about this Fox back when I was "hunting," but the in-flight adjustable prop took it out of the LSA.

--Andy
N109BB
Kitfox IV Speedster
912 UL
file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Dave S
06-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Steve makes a good point about the power draw and conflict with the limited output of the rotax alternator.

DJ - in the case of the LEDs you posted the photo for - any idea about the power draw on these?

FYI - when I did my earlier post about the dual halogens (which are pretty high draw) - I didn't mention, but should have - that I have the auxillary 40 amp belt driven alternator for the rotax - otherwise the system could not possibly support the position lights, strobes and halogens - none of these are LEDs so everything running at once does pull a few amps.

Sincerely,

Dave S
K7 Trigear
St Paul, MN

hansedj
06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Dave the draw is 2 amps on the aerosun 1600 here is some web sites on led landing lights http://www.aeroleds.com/ www.kestrobes.com kitfox has the aerosun in their catalog. I don't have any landing lights installed yet, but my postion lights, panels lights are led and I can turn everything on with no problems. Have heater kit and strobes also.

SkyPirate
07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I am going to make a retractable landing light for the bottom of my cowl with ,..a double element one for ground with tail down one for approach,..it's just a matter of making a hinged mount for the lights to set on,..and a cable retract system,..if your going to add the weight of the lights anyway ,..it wouldn't be that much more weight for a hinge and cable

Chase