PDA

View Full Version : Advice replace rubberengine mounts model IV with 912

teamkitfox7788
05-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Its time to replace rubber dynafocal engine mount isolators on an early Kitfox model IV with a Rotax 912.
For those of you who have done this, how much have you had to take apart other than the engine mount bolts? Exhaust? cables, coolant lines?
Any suggestions from lessons learned so I do not waste time while doing the work.
It appears that the tubular steel of the engine mount is very close to a lot of stuff and being able to tilt or rotate the engine a bit while lifting it might allow me to replace isolators sequentially, thoughts from the voice of experience would be appreciated
BJ Kitfox IV 912, Warp Drive

Jono
05-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Give it a go (would be interested to know)

We had the engine off not too long ago to replace a cracked engine mount we also did the rubber mounts at the same time. Quite straight forward when the whole engine is off.

My gut feeling however is that the bolts running through the middle of the rubber mounts are too long to do in place (I think they'll hit the engine)

mr bill
05-04-2015, 08:40 PM
With a dynafocal mount, I found it easier to install the mount onto the engine, then attach the mount to the firewall.

HighWing
05-05-2015, 02:13 PM
I don't know if this will be helpful since my mount is a home brew ring mount - but.... I borrowed an engine hoist to support the engine weight using a couple of straps between the two. Then I removed one side and by swinging the engine was able to replace the donuts. Then I did the other side. The only things I had to deal with were some of the wiring between the panel and engine didn't have enough length for the engine swing. Some had connectors I had installed for such an event, but others - ground and starter cables - required disconnecting and reconnecting as did the throttle and choke cables.

Spook712
05-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Where can I get the rubber donuts and parts to exchange then, and at what cost?

kmach
05-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Kitfox has them . If I remember correctly, they were not expensive. give them a call.

DesertFox4
05-06-2015, 09:02 PM
I got mine same place kmach did.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/

Jono
05-06-2015, 09:41 PM
On my invoice from Kitfox from when I got them a few months back they were refered to as:

Isolator Kit Dynafocal 912(S)
Part# 64804.000

Wheels
05-06-2015, 10:50 PM
I did the engine mount replacement last year. I'm with bill. Remove the engine on a hoist. Fix, clean, photograph, replace, etc. Then after your done torquing and rechecking, remount your engine.

I did it on the plane 5 years ago, not worth the effort and frustration.