PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Covering SS7

Tomfox
05-03-2015, 04:21 PM
I am ready to attach the fabric to the bottom of my SS7 build. I do not understand how to handle the plates where the landing gear attach, or the plates in the picture I have attached. The picture is of two plates that are welded right at the front attach point of the bottom fabric - center of picture - there is one on each side. Also - what are these two plates for?
So - do I put the fabric over all of these plates - including the landing gear plates - or do I cut around and put reinforcing doilies?

Thanks
Tom

rosslr
05-03-2015, 05:37 PM
I covered them all Tom and then added reinforcing patches. By the time you finish covering the bottom and add all the reinforcing tapes and patches it is a pretty impressive patchwork! You can use a hot solder iron tip to burn the holes for the attach points after covering.

Cheers

Paul Z
05-03-2015, 06:13 PM
The SLSAs have them covered with holes punched through with a soldering iron. I just had it converted from a Tri-Gear to a Tail Dragger, and you could see the holes punched through the fabric.

Floog
05-04-2015, 05:49 AM
My fabric starts at the center tube in your picture. (Not the leading edge of the fuselage.) I wanted access to the rudder pedal fasteners. The area where the floor board is shown is covered by the firewall metal. Sounds like I may have deviated from convention here??

jrevens
05-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Floog,

I covered mine the same way that you did. The pictures and instructions in the covering section of the build manual say to do it like that. I covered over the whole surface of those tabs/plates, but trimmed it around the forward part of them. I like having access to those fasteners also. I think that is the conventional way to do it, unless the convention changed?

jiott
05-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Did mine same as Floog. I believe that is per the book.

rosslr
05-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Tom - as Floog, John and Jim say - I did the same - sorry if I gave the impression that I covered right up to the front!

cheers

War Eagle
05-05-2015, 02:19 PM
How about a picture to see if that helps you visualize what people are doing on the bottom cover?

rosslr
05-05-2015, 02:35 PM
for what its worth

cheers

r