PDA

View Full Version : Complete Rebuilding 1993 Mark IV, what to include?

Jakethebosun
05-03-2015, 03:05 PM
I am an experienced multiple kit builder, and a Commercial bush pilot who has somehow bought a Kitfox Mark IV. Its in pretty good condition, and original basic. The 1050# Gross version.

I have stripped it down and have now replaced fabric. Pulled the engine and will likely replace it for 582 ?( Everything I own has Lycoming or Continental, this ROTAX stuff is pretty new to me.)

Now, I know there are some pretty experienced people on Mk IV's out there, and I have NO KITFOX experience. Any advice is appreciated. (IE What to check for wear or failure, mods to do now, sources of drawings or photos, etc. etc)

Jake

Jono
05-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Hi Jake,

I'm sure everyone will have their 2 cents...

My suggestions would be keep it light.. as light as possible...
1. Replace the fuel tanks to the newer ethanol resistant ones
2. Install a Rudder Trim tab (just a static one that you set on the ground)
3. Enlarge the holes in the windshield around where the leading edge of the wing root (bigger circles = less stress cracks in perspex in years to come)
4. Go with the 912 (80 or 100HP) - IMHO 80HP is perfect for a 1050 MKIV
5. If you want to go fast... go for a different prop..
6. keep it light

Hope that helps :-)

Jakethebosun
05-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Thanks very much.
Light weight is key all right, in every airplane! Has there been an issue with ethanol in the tanks? (See this is why I come here to ask these questions.) Tab is easy. I will cut the windshield with you in mind. 912 would be nice, but price makes it nearly out of reach.
When I need to go fast I have an RV.
Thanks again.

Jono
05-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Hi Jake,
Yes the original tanks from that era (the ones I still have) were fiberglass and coated with this cream coloured sealant called "kreem". Do a search for "kreem" or "Sloshing"

Have Fun

cap01
05-03-2015, 10:31 PM
jake , if your really ambitious , you can install a elevator trim system . probably one of the most useful changes I've made to my 1050 . i have also installed the larger classic rudder and made the vertical taller to match the rudder . mine also has had some mods accomplished that increase the gross weight to 1200 . the grove gear is a good upgrade also as the structure where the bungees attach is a weak area with failures in that area .

Oneninerwhiskey
05-04-2015, 06:53 PM
I would definitely install a parking brake valve if it did not have one. Has been very useful. I flew the first year without one and couldn't leave the plane for even a few minutes without tying down even in light winds.:eek:

Jfquebec
05-05-2015, 04:37 AM
On my classic 4 i add the trim tab..( not finished) a lock on my flap handle(easy)
The landing ( i thinking about that)...

I really like my flap handle...