PDA

View Full Version : Long range fuel?

Nathaniel
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Question about extended range fuel. What do you think of adding a larger header tank (removable) to beef up range? You could add 5 or 10 gallons to the baggage compartment as an oversized header tank. Just swap hookups from your existing header tank.

Just a thought. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Nathaniel
06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Just thinking out loud. Trying to find a reason why you could just have an oversized header tank, up the ante so to speak. Like I said, just a direct swap out for the header tank. Leave the OEM header installed, just moved the plumbing over and cap the 1 gallon tank.

Maybe I want to be able to do Knoxville, Tennessee non-stop Homedale. :D
(1578 nautical by the way)

jonbakerok
06-30-2009, 03:50 PM
You wanna be able to fly 15 hours non-stop in a Kitfox? I bet there's a whip and a pair of handcuffs hanging in your closet!

Seriously, there's no reason your idea wouldn't work, if that's what you're into. It's really kinda cool that the header tank connections are right there next to the baggage compartment. Of course, the extra fuel is going to use up all your payload, but if all you need for a 1500 mile trip is a toothbrush and a really big pee bottle, you're in business.

Personally, I've never understood the yearning for a pee bottle when there's an airport every twenty miles. Landing at new places is the best part!

Renard
07-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Jon, If you fly from Missoula to Homedale as I did yesterday you will understand the need for a pee bottle. There is NOWHERE to land for the first couple of hours. If you have the morning coffee as I did, you will understand.
Chuck