PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be a builder

MOFlyer
04-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Well, I've been stalking this forum for almost two years, surely seen every Kitfox video on youtube, read every published article, had several conversations with John and Debra, sold my Piper Cherokee, and ordered an S7 Super Sport kit this morning. Pretty excited and got even more excited when Debra told me that I can have it delivered next month. I will miss the Cherokee. She was a very reliable plane but truth be known, I logged more hours when I was renting a 150. I've been dreaming of building for a few years and would go back and forth on kits and scratch builds (and even own a few different sets of plans). The wife and I recently made a matrix of aircraft and established a scoring system on every attribute imaginable and the Kitfox was well ahead of every other plane in the final score. So for a quick introduction, my name is Mike and I live in southwest Missouri. I spent my young adult life in the Army and spend my current mid years employed by a defense contractor. I am married with 3 children and only the youngest still remains in the nest. The other two children remain in our home state of Texas along with my grandson. I have only been flying for 5 years but flying has consumed more daydreams in those 5 years then I could possibly compare to anything else. Haven't received my taildragger endorsement but there is a Rans S7 at a nearby airport that I can receive instruction in and rent to remain current. My entire point of this post was to announce that I too am now a Kitfox builder and I've seem to run on a bit. The amount of support in these forums was an attribute on my list and look forward to all ya'lls help.

Mike

DesertFox4
04-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Congrats on your choice of the SS7 Kitfox. You'll love the way it flies. The build is exciting and you'll have lots of support here and from Kitfox Aircraft.

bbs428
04-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Congratz on your decision on your S7 Mike and welcome aboard! Glad to have another Missourian among us. :D

Cubtractor and I are in and around the Joplin area, Skypirate is from Rolla, Mo. and is making us up some patches and t-shirts. Gawilkie is just east of Springfield, finishing his kitfox. Skypirate is an Army vet., I'm Navy, ret.

As I'm just a noob starting a Classic IV so I won't be to much help, but the lads here are a good bunch and glad to steer you right.

If you can make it, Skypirate and I will be in Miller, Mo this Saturday at the Hanger Cafe for the better part of the day. It's a bit northwest of Mt. Vernon, Mo. Look for the 1969 maroon 428cj mustang. The Mrs (Diane) or myself should be close by.
Skypirate will be flying over in his Kitfox.

April 4 – Miller, MO – Kingsley Field (MO9) 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM Hangar Kafe Second Anniversary Celebration. This will be an all day event drop in anytime for: Live Music, Great Food, Sky Diving, Car Show. Contact Phone: 417-452-2277 or 417-452-3831.

All the best,

Brett

SkyPirate
04-01-2015, 08:40 PM
Welcome Mike~!

I just sent you an E mail concerning this week end hope you can make it,..
for sure it should be a good time at Kingsley

that's a quick turn around for delivery Awesome~!

Thanks for your service in the Army

good chance we can get you a ride this week end in a tail dragger close to the same as the 7 : )

Im not far from Fort Leonardwood..went thru basic back in the 70's there and moved back here from Camp Lejuene NC about 8 years ago..wife is from Texas and desires to move back soon to Dallas area

SkyPirate
04-01-2015, 08:45 PM
you know I can't wait to see Brett's 1969 Mustang Mach 1! and I really hope he forgets and leaves the keys in that bad boy and a full tank of gas while he is eating lunch~! lol

bbs428
04-01-2015, 08:54 PM
"you know I can't wait to see Brett's 1969 Mustang Mach 1! and I really hope he forgets and leaves the keys in that bad boy and a full tank of gas while he is eating lunch~! lol"

...Probably so, but Diane's not as nice and congenial as I am :D

SkyPirate
04-01-2015, 08:56 PM
whats her favorite dessert? and gosh I hope they have it at the Cafe' :)

SkyPirate
04-01-2015, 09:39 PM
wont be hard to find me..look for the best looking guy on the field ..ha ha ha just kidding..I will be with Brett n Diane :) or near the white model 5 with eagle on the side ..the other great looking kitfox in the photo is Mike B's

Av8r3400
04-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Mike-- Good luck with the build. You will love the Kitfox. They are like driving a Ferrari compared to a Buick-like Cherokee. (I have almost 800 hours in Cherokees, too. :) )

Let me be the first to suggest that when you are nearing completion of the plane, take a vacation to Idaho and see Paul at Stick and Rudder to get some type specific refresher training.

Ad that to your future S7 time and you'll do well with the plane.

Again, Congrats and Welcome to the Kitfox community! :D

rosslr
04-02-2015, 02:08 AM
Good decision Mike!

The amount of support in these forums was an attribute on my list and look forward to all ya'lls help.

This is a a very important criteria from my experience - these guys are generous and wise - I have benefited from their generosity as I am sure you will too!

have fun

cheers

Paul Z
04-02-2015, 06:41 AM
I Second Av853400s recommendation, I took a week vacation an flew up to Boise so I could fly with Paul at Stick & Rudder. It was the best training I've ever had, well worth the time and money. I got my tail wheel endorsement, along with some Mountain flying in the Idaho back country. I got to hit some of the strips I've watched with envy on you tube that I really wanted to go try. I also did about three strips that I was amazed that I was able to land much less successfully take off from.

This Forum should help keep you motivated. I'm personally looking forward to your first Post in your personal Build Thread that shows hid crate has arrived:D, and the oh s * * t, I don't have the shop ready, or whatever the first revelation will be. I know we all have enjoyed threads like Oz, Desertfox4, and Esser.

Welcome aboard! It truly is a great bunch of supportive builders and flyers.

cubtractor
04-02-2015, 07:09 AM
Congrats Mike. I can't wait to see it and do some flying. SW Missouri is quickly becoming a Kitfox rich area.

MOFlyer
04-02-2015, 07:28 AM
The first time I flew into Kingsley it really inspired me to have a plane that I could open a window. I will make every effort to be there this weekend. Point of fact Paul, my shop is NOT ready. I did not expect such a quick delivery. Very excited to see all the prior service members and in such close proximity. Next thing you know, I'll find out that ya'll are into guns as well :) (my other hobby, have a small range at my place).
I was actually planning on going up to Stick & Rudder this summer and do some flying with Paul and pick up my kit but when Debra said she could have it next month, I immediately said YES!
I will absolutely post photos when the kit arrives.

SkyPirate
04-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Ok i have been needing to zero my brand new Remington SPS in 30-06 with the Burris 4.5x14 scope on it, there is a 1000 yd range not far my place, it has to be a good gun, i already taged a Buck with it just eyeball sighted the scope the night i picked it up, day before opening season :)

bbs428
04-02-2015, 08:27 AM
"Next thing you know, I'll find out that ya'll are into guns as well (my other hobby, have a small range at my place)."

Who us??? Not around here.... ;)

We will have to get together on your range or mine to enjoy some marksmanship exercises in the future. Of course after we work on the Kitfox's!

We can talk of such things in pm's as we need to stay on topic in the public forum.

:D:D:D

Av8r3400
04-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Here we go again (http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6199)...

:D

Paul Z
04-02-2015, 08:07 PM
[I] "Next thing you know, I'll find out that ya'll are into guns as well (my other hobby, have a small range at my place?...D

I've been wanting to practice my long range pistol shooting. I'll work for range privileges. :D

SkyPirate
04-02-2015, 08:19 PM
about 295nm Paul ..load her up and fly up sometime :) that slick fox your flying aughta make it in under 3 hours :)

SkyPirate
04-02-2015, 08:21 PM
I hope your around come the end of May..cuz I'm headed your way..2 weeks in Tehas is the plan

(by the phrase I hope your around I mean not on a flight to Alaska or Hawaii or sumpin :D )

Paul Z
04-02-2015, 08:23 PM
You are correct. About 2.7 hours. With one bladder stop I'd guess 3.5 hours. Have you found any land? You'll be here in 2 weeks, I know a good bar-b-que!

SkyPirate
04-03-2015, 02:23 PM
going to be there around the end of May for about 2 weeks ..checking out a few places ..BBQ sounds great~!!

MOFlyer
05-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Tick............Tock.............It's been 30 days since I ordered my kit and couldn't believe how soon it was coming. It's still scheduled to be here this week although I don't have a firm date yet. With that said, it has been a very slow month. Reminds me of being 10 and waiting for Xmas. Not getting much sympathy from non pilot friends and I thought, I know of some fellas (that's ya'll) that will understand my childish excitement. I have my building area sterilized, for the time being, and even put in a rolling tool drawer chest that has all the tools removed. I want to have everything prepared but figure I should start working on it first and that will determine which tools are most readily needed. With all this, I do have a question. I have the quick build wings and believe I will be working on fuselage first. How should I store the wings until I need to work on them? Should I hang them on the walls?

Mike

Agfoxflyer
05-03-2015, 08:27 AM
I know the anticipation. When I ordered my kit, I ordered Quick build wings. When the spars came in from the supplier the entire shipment was rejected by the factory because of scratches. Delayed delivery about about a month on kit. Factory volunteered to deliver the rest of kit and ship wings for free when they were ready. Didn't want them to spend the extra $$ to do that so I said I would wait. Ship everything together. One of the longest waits of my life!!

I built a wing rack to store wings. If you have the space it is a good option. You will need the rack eventually.

Esser
05-03-2015, 09:02 AM
You can hang them on the wall with those garage hooks that are covered in rubber. The kind people hang bikes from etc. Get a few. I found it handy to hang the struts, horz, stab, vert stab, rudder, elevator, and doors from hooks.

mr bill
05-03-2015, 09:19 AM
I built the tails feathers first, then the wings. After covering and paint, hung them on the walls to get them out of the way. Then with room to work, began the fuselage.

MOFlyer
05-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Awesome, thanks guys.

Mike

rosslr
05-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Hi Mike - I too understand what you are feeling - I had my kit shipped (literally) across the pacific and the shipping company gave all the details of the ship - so I tracked the ship every day as it frustratingly diverted to avoid weather and nodded its way slowly to Australia. Worth the wait though.

As for the storage of the wings, I reckon the racks that the guys suggest are the way to go although I just stored them o the floor of the hanger ( plenty of space) using the pink foam blocks they are packed with to support them.

You could also busy yourself making up some rotisseries for the wings if you haven't already done so - they are almost essential for covering and painting the wings later. There are plans for various versions of them on this site.

cheers

colospace
05-03-2015, 05:31 PM
I made a sling style "rack" using lawn furniture webbing. The webbing supports the leading edge over ~4 inches total. The rack/cradle holds both wings. In the photo, one wing is in the rotation fixture being covered (with Oratex), the other is complete and behind it in the cradle.

jiott
05-03-2015, 08:39 PM
As Ross said, I would highly recommend you build at least one (two are better) wing rotisseries. You will definitely need them to cover, stitch and paint and they also work great for storage while you do other things. It will keep you busy and your mind occupied while waiting for the kit.

MOFlyer
05-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Sounds like great advice. I will get started on them as soon as I get back in town. Thanks all

MOFlyer
05-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Found out today that delivery will be a little longer then expected due to the transporter. No biggie and will give me time to build those wing rotisseries. The good news is that Kitfox has everything ready to go.

Mike

DesertFox4
05-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Christmas delayed a couple days. Darn. The excitement builds.;)

Won't be long Mike and your shop will be filled with nice Kitfox parts.

Paul Z
05-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Mike,

Did you get the quick build wings, and that sexy Laker Leading edge?

I'm positive you have a great time building, and when you get stumped pulse this group, there are some great builders that enjoy the build process, and are more than willing to help the newbies.

MOFlyer
05-07-2015, 06:15 AM
I did get the quick build wings and laker leading edge :) I've looked at several rotisseries for the wings but can't seem to find the distance between the spars listed anywhere. Does anyone have a rough measurement? I can do exact fitment when the wings arrive but would like to start doing some cutting and ensure the height is adequate.

Thank all

Mike

colospace
05-07-2015, 06:24 AM
Mike,
Mine is 167 1/2 inch between so that I had a little room to work around each end rib.

jrevens
05-07-2015, 09:00 AM
I measure the center to center distance between the 2 parallel spar tubes at 27.5".

Brandon Petersen
05-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Hi Mike! I hope this helps the excitement and doesn't make the wait more agonizing. Here are your wings sitting in the wing shop rotisserie. There are a couple shots of the design we use. Pvc tubes are 27.5" on center.

It was my pleasure to build your wings!
Have fun!!!
B

Brandon Petersen
05-07-2015, 09:03 AM
One more...

MOFlyer
05-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Wow, thanks! I had to read it a couple times to understand that those are my wings. Very exciting.

DesertFox4
05-07-2015, 05:43 PM
You'll love the quick built wings.
Brandon does a great job.