PDA

View Full Version : Rotecradial

av8ir
06-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Hello..

Can anybody tell me what kind of costs are involved in the firewall forward if using a Rotecradial engine. Also is there a dealer here in the U.S. that deals with that engine???

Dead Roman
06-28-2009, 10:29 PM
the engines are like 25k new. Can be had used for around 16k. I Imagine there are some serious airframe modifications to make that engine work with a kitfox. But If I could afford it I would do it.

jdmcbean
06-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Hello..

Can anybody tell me what kind of costs are involved in the firewall forward?

Give us a call.. We may be able to help.

Dick B in KY
06-29-2009, 01:53 PM
The last price I got from Rotec early this year for a 2800 was about $16,800 and then do the extras you want. Totaled out about $20,000. The cowling (or lack thereof) is the issue that has kept me from the purchase. If I figure that out I may still do it. I'm building a Super Sport.

Dick B

49LOOPER
06-29-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm currently installing a Rotec R2800 on a Classic 4 Speedster kit. I had purchased the engine for a single place project orginally, but put on hold because of the need for a two place. You didn't say the model Kitfox your contemplating installing it on, but there are a number of 4's and newer versions this has been accomplished with, all with good results. I suggest you visit Rotec's website ( WWW.Rotecradialegines.com ) where there are a number of Kitfoxs of all models to review under customer projects. The design for the engine mount and oil tank has already been done and Paul Chernikeef, head of Rotec, is installing a R2800 on model 4 Kitfox. I don't know what the current price is for the R2800 but you can inquire via the website. They have had Oshkosh specials in the past. I recently purchased the exhaust collector ring delivered to Texas via Fedex for $1237.00. Fuel injection is now avialable for the engine and I purchased it for there introductory price for around $500.00. I think if you do a comparision between the 100hp 912 Rotax and the Rotec R2800 and what you need firewall forward to get airborne they will compare very closely in total cost. The Rotax will provide slightly better fuel economy, payload and availability for serving but if you love the look and sound of a radial engine the Rotec is the best choice. The modifications to the Classic 4 for the R2800 are placing the battery in the tail for CG and cutting of the attachment horns on the boot cowl and refiberglassing. All the trailblazing has already been done on this engine installation and the results indicate it is a good performer with the R2800.

av8ir
06-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Thankyou for all the posts and info on the Rotec Radial engine. I am not sure of the direction I will go yet. I think the looks and sounds of a radial engine are spectacular. :D I am currently trying to learn all I can about the different engines and the best application for what I want to do in the future.

ME2
07-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I have 20 Hours now on a Model 4 with the Rotec Radial. 4 hours this last weekend. I am unable to get the smile off my face. I will attach photos if I can figure out how.

av8ir
07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Thankyou airhawg for the heads up... :D

av8ir
07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
ME2
Wow...... Your plane is extremely nice looking.. I am not suprised that you cannot get the smile to go away.. Keep me updated on how your Rotec is working for you as you get more hours on it...

av8ir

Lion8
07-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Very nice. Good luck with her. You did a really nie job. You should be very proud.

SaintAero
07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
There's a lot of work involved in the cowling. Here's a photo of my shell. I still need to build the joggles and stiffiners. Once finished, this will be a four piece cowling. Still trying to figure out what to do with the heat from the exhaust....any suggestions from builders? -- Don

ME2
07-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Regarding the Heat from the exhaust ring- I kept the cowling approx 1.25" from the ring - no heat problems. I have seen others with much less and seemd to be fine. My cowl is carbon fiber using MGS resin system. Paint is AIR TECH and has not been affected.

DesertFox4
07-04-2009, 04:20 PM
First hand report on (Me2) , Bill Proke's Rotec model 4. WOW!!!! This thing up close is spectacular. Had a chance to look it over this morning and it reeks of sexy. Sat in it too.:D It's a time machine back to the 1930's. Phil Laker said if you didn't notice those flapperons you'd swear 75 years had just been erased from the Calendar. Bill has a fair start on the 40 hour fly off and everything is working well. It is a radial so appropriate care and feeding is required. Bill says refueling takes about an hour. 15 minutes to fuel her and 45 minutes to talk briefly with all the people that she attracts. What a nice problem. Will you be able to see and hear it at the Kitfox Aircraft LLC Factory fly in 2009? ;)
Stay tuned for further updates. Way to go Bill and Matt and keep after those test hours . Sweeeet!!

SaintAero
08-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Regarding the Heat from the exhaust ring- I kept the cowling approx 1.25" from the ring - no heat problems. I have seen others with much less and seemd to be fine. My cowl is carbon fiber using MGS resin system. Paint is AIR TECH and has not been affected.

Thanks for the info on the cowling. Mine is a little closer, so we'll see how it works. Another question,..... did you install carb heat?
THX.

ME2
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I did make an attempt at Carb Heat using warm air off the plenum around the oil tank. The oil tank is behind the firewall and I made an aluminum enclosure for air to be passed through for use as carb heat and as cabin heat. The Temp delta is probably not enough for fully functional carb heat especially to melt ice. Probably enough if engaged when conditions are suspected but not iced up yet. It works for cabin heat and helps keep the cockpit cooler in that the plenum has ram air inlet and exhaust on opposite sides of the airplane. I am in the Phoenix Arizona Area so not a lot of concern with carb heat. I am a fair weather pilot ( a weather chicken). I will probably make a heat shroud at some point over the exhaust to be conventional. I did not want to diminish the aesthetics around the engine installation. Vanity has always been a downfall. I will shoot some pics of the carb heat box( carbon fiber) and the air inlet on the bottom of the cowl.
I have 44 hours now. Engine runs great. Love the airplane.

Best Regards
ME2

SaintAero
08-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Thx for the info. I recently bought something from Van's to try. I bought the cabin heater valve and the carb heat tube that connects to the exhaust. I'm also going to try using the cabin heat box with a flange to a valve for carb heat. EG., only one connection to the exhaust for both cabin heat and carb heat. Will advise (good or bad). -- Don

paulc
12-18-2009, 08:31 PM
There's a lot of work involved in the cowling. Here's a photo of my shell. I still need to build the joggles and stiffiners. Once finished, this will be a four piece cowling. Still trying to figure out what to do with the heat from the exhaust....any suggestions from builders? -- Don

There is ZERO work required with the model 3 and model 4 cowlings. The model 5 and on wards will require you to make some mods or make a new boot cowl.

On the earlier cowls (Mk 1-4 )you just cut off the fiber glass tabs touch up and go. I did this with my Rotec Model 3. NO COWL MODS!

John McBean of Kitfox is working on a Super Sport Rotec radial installation design and firewall forward it will be available soon. I suspect It will fit the Models 5 and onwards. Give him a call to be sure.

paulc
02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Agian I repeat, for the R2800 installed in the Kitfox Model 3-4

NO mods what so ever to the cowls or airframe. Battery at rear for balance. See attached 2 examples.