PDA

View Full Version : Electronic flight calculators

Kurt.A
03-11-2015, 11:58 PM
What are your thoughts on the various electronic flight calculators on the market? I am looking at the ASA CX-2 and the Sporty's model. Going to keep the wiz wheel E6-B but want to try out an electronic version for my own curiosity.

Av8r_Sed
03-12-2015, 05:00 AM
Why bother? I can see the value of learning to use an E6B while a student to understand how the necessary calculations work. Afterwards, it makes a nice collectible.

To satisfy curiosity, there are a lot of tablet apps that reproduce the various calculators. Mostly though, I personally don't see the need as these functions are built into apps like ForeFlight and WingX as well as glass panel units.

neville
03-12-2015, 06:31 AM
I have been using the Sporty's electronic E-6B for several years and have no complaints. Most common use is for weight/balance and density altitude. I commonly use the AOPA flight planner for cross country flight
planning.

jiott
03-12-2015, 11:38 AM
I used the Sporty's during my flight training and was happy with it. Have not used it since, except for some airspeed indicator calibration tests during my 40 hr Phase I testing.

n85ae
03-12-2015, 01:30 PM
When I fly VFR I go 100% paper, and use a mechanical E-6B. I find it is
very simple, and this is of course because I actually use it regularly ... If
you do NOT use one regularly, then they are a confusing pain in the butt ...

If on the other hand I do IFR flying, I don't use an E-6B at all, I pretty
much use the buttons on the GPS (Garmin 430W) for everything.

If you want to use an E-6B, here's a really good manual:

http://www.dc3airways.com/useful/downloads/files/e6b_manual.pdf

Jeff

n85ae
03-12-2015, 01:37 PM
If you go to Ebay, and search 'cpu 26a in militaria' you will also find a LOT
of very nice pocket size E-6B's cheap, and the military model is in my
opinion a much nicer E-6B than what the pilot shops sell. I actually
own three of these. The size, and quality is very good.

Jeff