PDA

View Full Version : Use of Hysol epoxy

dalords
03-07-2015, 09:22 PM
is Hysol EA9430 the epoxy recommend by Kitfox for gluing in the ribs?

Brandon Petersen
03-07-2015, 09:32 PM
9460 is what you are looking for.

kitfoxrk
03-11-2015, 05:59 AM
Somewhat related - Does anyone have a guess how much hysol is required to complete an airframe with the quick build wings?

Esser
03-11-2015, 06:45 AM
2 quarts ( One A One B) Would be close if you went fast but it does expire.

jiott
03-11-2015, 10:47 AM
I agree, 1qt. of each should be enough.

rosslr
03-11-2015, 02:03 PM
I am on my second set of Part A and Part B and think I will use most of it by the end. Must admit to wasting a fair bit at first until I got a better handle on how much to mix up at any one time!

cheers

jiott
03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Yes, mixing up the right amount without wasting is the key.
I used 2 qts. of each, but I did not have quick build wings, and the wings use a lot.

Tomfox
03-12-2015, 06:14 AM
2 quarts will be enough for me. I found that it is easier to waste some and the 2 quarts appears to be more than adequate. I also bought the quick-build on the wings.

jtpitkin06
03-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Look at the factory made ribs to see how much "ooze" is required. I.e. Very little. Most builders use way too much adhesive judging by some of the pictures of home built wings.

I did wings, tail, stab and several other bonds. I was generous but not overly so. I have a little more than a pint left over.

I would agree the key to less waste is to mix less than you think you need. It will save a lot over the course of the build. It takes only a minute to mix up a dab if you need more.

John

jtpitkin06
03-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Just a reminder as we are still in winter. Hysol has a tendency to get lumpy or crystallize when it gets cold or old. Just put the amount you need in separate paper cups and warm the two parts with a heat gun. It will soften and melt back to a smooth fluid. Then mix up the amount you need.

cap01
03-13-2015, 02:10 PM
used to have to repair dents and tares in cargo bin floors with an epoxy . common practice was to put the A part and B part tubes on the windshield defroster vents with the heat on high of the pickup . the epoxy would be so thin that it would run out of the tubes after it got up to temp. only problem was you would have about a millisecond after the A and B were mixed to get it in place before the epoxy set up

Esser
03-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Just a heads up guys loctite says that once it goes below 7C it's garbage. Not sure if they are only covering there butts but... I have thrown out my cans that have gotten too cold.

jtpitkin06
03-14-2015, 06:57 AM
Just a heads up guys loctite says that once it goes below 7C it's garbage. Not sure if they are only covering there butts but... I have thrown out my cans that have gotten too cold.

Here's the CYA from Loctite

"Optimal Storage: 8 °C to 21 °C. Storage below 8 °C or greater than 28 °C [46 to 82F] can adversely affect product properties. Material removed from containers may be contaminated during use. Do not return product to the original container. Henkel Corporation cannot assume responsibility for product which has been contaminated or stored under conditions other than those previously indicated. "

I don't recall seeing a temperature controlled van delivering the product. The 8C to 28C range is so narrow I doubt any epoxy reaches the end user without exceeding the temperature range.

Using heat for mixing or cure is ok.

"LOCTITE® EA 9460TM can also be fully cured with heat such as; 6 to 8 hours at a maximum temperature of 149 °C."

After warming to ease mixing it cools down rapidly in a paper cup. I sometimes use a small space heater to speed the cure process. I don't think I ever get it up to 149C or 300F. Yeouch that's hot.

TahoeTim
03-14-2015, 01:51 PM
I keep mine at home. When I go to the hangar to work, I set the two cans near my heater to keep them warm. I mix 30 ounces of each per batch and have more ribs ready than I plan to glue so I always scrape my mixing cup clean. I glue the left over spots the next day. No waste. I always work all day on stuff and glue one batch at quitting time so I don't bump into anything with fresh glue.

The wife doesn't care about hysol in the house because i distract her with my dash on the kitchen table :)

896tr
03-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Hey! Look at John's avatar! He lost his captains shirt!:eek:

Esser
03-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Here's the CYA from Loctite

"Optimal Storage: 8 °C to 21 °C. Storage below 8 °C or greater than 28 °C [46 to 82F] can adversely affect product properties. Material removed from containers may be contaminated during use. Do not return product to the original container. Henkel Corporation cannot assume responsibility for product which has been contaminated or stored under conditions other than those previously indicated. "

I don't recall seeing a temperature controlled van delivering the product. The 8C to 28C range is so narrow I doubt any epoxy reaches the end user without exceeding the temperature range.

Using heat for mixing or cure is ok.

"LOCTITE® EA 9460TM can also be fully cured with heat such as; 6 to 8 hours at a maximum temperature of 149 °C."

After warming to ease mixing it cools down rapidly in a paper cup. I sometimes use a small space heater to speed the cure process. I don't think I ever get it up to 149C or 300F. Yeouch that's hot.

Hey John, Thanks for looking into this.