PDA

View Full Version : ELT recommendations

beeryboats
03-04-2015, 01:07 PM
It's been too cold to work on the airplane, so I've been going over items that still need to be done. I got to thinking about an ELT. I didn't recall seeing one in the aircraft! Duh! That needs to be fixed! I did some reading today and yes, it needs an ELT. But what's the best way to go. The regs say what you can't do, but what should you use? And on a model IV, where is the best place to mount the darn thing. I guess as this is a new install after 1995, it has to be 406 doesn't it?

jiott
03-04-2015, 01:10 PM
I think the 406 ACK is the best deal.
Mount inside alongside the baggage area.

Dick B in KY
03-04-2015, 02:30 PM
I agree. Mine works fine located there on my SS7.

Dick B

beeryboats
03-04-2015, 06:18 PM
I saw that one advertised at Wicks and Spruce. A little expensive to say the least. If I were flying in Alaska, or anywhere with any kind of wilderness, I'm sure it's worth it's weight in gold. Here in Indiana, the flattest place on earth, it's hard to get out of sight of humanity. I'm looking for reasonable safety with a reasonable price. I thought that 406mhz would have come down a lot by now. I'm really starting to wonder about the builder now. How did he get away with not installing an ELT in the first place? Did the inspector think he would always be in training within 50 miles of his home airport?

Flybyjim
03-04-2015, 08:22 PM
I bought a standard ELT and put money into a SPOT devise, I can use this anywhere as long as I can activate it.

PapuaPilot
03-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I got the ACK E-04 and think it is the best value for a 406 ELT. It is one of the least expensive 406 ELTs including the cost of the replacement battery ($/yr). It doesn't have a built in GPS, but you can input GPS data to it via a RS-232 wire.

I mounted mine in the tail because of my heavy engine. It's a tight fit behind the trim jackscrew, but it does fit.

Paul Z
03-05-2015, 11:22 AM
I got the ACK E-04 and think it is the best value for a 406 ELT. It is one of the least expensive 406 ELTs including the cost of the replacement battery ($/yr). It doesn't have a built in GPS, but you can input GPS data to it via a RS-232 wire.

I mounted mine in the tail because of my heavy engine. It's a tight fit behind the trim jackscrew, but it does fit.

I would highly recommend putting in the remote ELT switch. If you have a non emergency hard landing you may be pressed to remove the fairing to reset the ELT. I had a bad landing in a cross wind and mine was behind the seat, it was a Pain in the rear trying to figure out the best way to open the baggage area to hit the reset switch.

N981MS
03-05-2015, 11:33 AM
I believe all new installations require an indicator/switch in front of or visible to the pilot. I am near certain that was true circa 2003 when we completed our S6.

Paul Z
03-05-2015, 12:04 PM
My Kitfox SLSA 2009 did not come with one. I have since added it.

mr bill
03-05-2015, 01:24 PM
This is how I mounted mine to the fuselage tubing to the rear of the baggage compartment. The ELT and Com antennas are mounted in the vertical stab and the switch is on the instrument panel. The tubing clamps are made of steel.

beeryboats
03-05-2015, 06:46 PM
I sent an email to the builder last night about the elt. He told me one was installed at first, but he later removed it for his next build project. He included a photo which explained the odd, empty, mount bracket behind the baggage compartment. My question now is on the regs. It states that "new" installations must be with a 406mhz radio. If I put the same make and model elt back in the same bracket, does that still count as a "new" install?

I don't want to give the impression of being cavalier about safety, but here in western Indiana we are one big emergency landing field. I mean corn or beans by the square mile only separated by straight roads. But we have enough aviation around that a 121.5 beacon would be heard instantly.

mr bill
03-05-2015, 06:57 PM
As I understand it, 406mhz is recommended, but not mandatory yet.

PapuaPilot
03-05-2015, 07:23 PM
I would highly recommend putting in the remote ELT switch. If you have a non emergency hard landing you may be pressed to remove the fairing to reset the ELT. I had a bad landing in a cross wind and mine was behind the seat, it was a Pain in the rear trying to figure out the best way to open the baggage area to hit the reset switch.

The ELT came with the remote switch and it's installed in my panel. I am currently working on the panel and electrical system wiring. I just need to add the G3X Touch display and GTR-200 Com to finish the panel.

TahoeTim
03-05-2015, 07:26 PM
In my other plane I bought the ELT with the handheld antenna option. I mounted it in the corner of my baggage area and accessible. If I crash and the main antenna gets damaged, I can snap on the little whip antenna and also carry the ELT with me in the event I decide to leave the plane and hike to a road. It's always better to stay with the plane but in Tahoe I might be forced to hike out. The remote is also a good idea and easy to install. It connects with a phone line!

I will do the same with my kitfox. I already have my ELT and am looking for a good spot to mount it where it is visible and accessible.

I really like having the antenna in the fin.

Av8r_Sed
03-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Jay,
I still fly with a 121.5 unit. Similar reasoning to your's as I fly mainly in the flat farmlands of northern IL and southern WI. It would be likely impossible around these parts to make an off airport landing without someone calling the authorities. In addition, I use an Delorme inReach satellite tracker so my family can keep an eye on where I've gotten to. It also has an SOS button to summon help if I need it.

I'll probably upgrade my ELT to a 406 unit at some point if a good deal comes along on one with integral GPS (or if there's some other mandate to do so).

beeryboats
03-06-2015, 06:52 PM
That's a good idea on the tracker unit. I like that idea. I received an email from the builder again tonight about the elt. He also agrees with my reasoning with re-installing the older elt. What really strikes me about his advice is that he was a passenger in a fatal accident about six months before I bought the airplane from him. He was flying with a friend when the prop had an issue. They came to earth between two houses and caught fire. No real need for an elt as the whole damn neighborhood called 911. When we came to look at his Kitfox, that was not for sale, he was still in a compression bandage on his arm. Seems to me, he knows what he's talking about. Out here, it's either corn, beans, or a house. The first two won't kill you, the third is gonna hurt. Hoosiers seem nosey, but they are not. They just look out for each other. And I love it. That's better than any radio any day.

t j
03-11-2015, 06:50 AM
This is an Ameri-King AK 450 (121 old style). It fits nicely in the tray behind the model 4 baggage sack. The AK 451 (406) is supposed to be a direct replacement using the same panel switch and wiring if you need to upgrade later...
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/elts_zameriking.html

I cut a slit in the baggage sack so I can stick my finger through to turn it off when trailering.

beeryboats
03-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the photo Tom. I have to go look at the photo the builder sent me. His elt looks like that, but longer. Could be camera angle. Does yours have what looks like a phone cable that goes to a panel switch?
jay

beeryboats
03-11-2015, 05:27 PM
This is what was installed before, and what I want to replace.

t j
03-12-2015, 05:35 AM
Your mounting tray is different too. Mine is welded with the fuselage. It may have been an option. I can't remember.

The cable looks like a phone cable. I was not sure so didn't want to cut or replace it. Mine is about 20 feet too long so I made a big coil under the seat. An A & P mechanic told me to try a phone cable end and if it fit it would work. I'm chicken to try that. Does anyone known fore sure?

PapuaPilot
03-12-2015, 05:45 AM
The cable looks like a phone cable. I was not sure so didn't want to cut or replace it. Mine is about 20 feet too long so I made a big coil under the seat. An A & P mechanic told me to try a phone cable end and if it fit it would work. I'm chicken to try that. Does anyone known fore sure?

Yes, they use phone cables and it is OK to change it with one word of caution. Make sure the replacement cable has all 4 wires showing in the connectors. Often phone cables will only have the center two cables installed.

Paul Z
03-12-2015, 06:38 AM
Phone cable is for the ELT Remote that can be mounted on the dash, so it is easy to reset one those less than soft landings. If it is not hard and brittle I would worry about changing it.

t j
03-12-2015, 07:40 AM
Okay thanks for the ELT phone cable info. I am going to change it for a short one. My kitfox is low powered. I am always looking for ways to reduce weight. Besides that, coiling extra electronic cable or wire can sometimes cause some mysterious electronic problems.

beeryboats
03-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Those of you that looked at my photo of the elt, can you identify it? It looks like the battery is a lot longer than Toms.
Jay

Never mind. It turns out it's a ACK-01. I don't see any for sale anywhere.

tomec
03-12-2015, 04:49 PM
phone cable don't work. wired wrong

Av8r3400
03-12-2015, 06:23 PM
I took my ELT control cable to a local shop that does commercial radio and electronic type stuff. I asked if they could shorten it by 5 feet. They did it while I waited and the tech had me buy him a soda from the vending machine as payment.

rv9ralph
03-12-2015, 08:54 PM
A phone cable will not work... they both use RJ11 jacks, however, for phones the wires cross from end to end (the sequence in the jack is different). For the ELT cable they are the same sequence ... pin 1 on one end is the same wire in pin 1 on the other, and so on for all four. For details check the ELT manual, I found mine online, it showed the pinout for the jacks.
Ralph

jrevens
03-12-2015, 11:53 PM
You can shorten your cable very easily by yourself if you can borrow a simple modular plug installation tool - or purchase an inexpensive one from Radio Shack. Buy a small package of the plugs from RS also. Cut the cable to length, strip the outer jacket & install the new plug with the tool. Just pay attention & install it the same way as the original one in relation to the wire colors - it's simple. If you lived in Denver you could borrow mine, & I'd even throw in a plug! :)

t j
03-13-2015, 07:27 AM
I think I have the cable plug tool. Thanks for clarification on the wire locations in the plug.:)

KFfan
03-20-2015, 08:18 AM
From EAA website:

March 18, 2015 – The FAA has published a notice in the Federal Register (https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/03/10/2015-05500/emergency-locator-transmitters-elts) recommending voluntary changes for mounting Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs) for aircraft owners who have used hook-and-loop fasteners, such as Velcro, to mount the units in their aircraft.
In some recent accidents, ELTs secured with such fasteners have come loose on impact, severing the antenna connection and making the units ineffective. The FAA is not issuing an Airworthiness Directive or withdrawing TSO authorizations, as manufacturers have made adequate design changes for these ELT units.
The FAA recommends that aircraft owners who have ELTs secured by hook-and-loop fasteners voluntarily switch to a metal strap restraint instead.

fwiw

Dave S
03-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Lou,

I have one of the early Artex 406 units that came with the velcro strap.....I thought about that a bit when I put it in back in 2007.....it was pretty clear to me that careless assembly of the strap could result in less than satisfactory securement. It's entirely possible to screw up the threading of the strap. I've been careful to keep it clean and tight & assembled correctly; however, I do plan on fabricating a positive metal/hardware hold down.

I don't know if manufacturers other than Artex used the velcro strap; and, I see that the new Artex units no longer use the velcro strap.

BTW - When I replaced the battery. Artex has increased the replacement interval to 7 years from 5 years. :)

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive
St Paul, mn