PDA

View Full Version : wing tanks

jrthomas
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm about ready to hang my wings on a mod IV. The kit was produced in 1995. It has 2 13 gallon wing tanks. What's the best way to prep my tanks for ethenol laced gas ? The wings are finished and the tanks have never been filled.

WISDAN
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Hello jrthomas, I have the same fuel tanks that you have. With much concideration and some advice from a fellow builder with much experience in fiberglass tanks I chose to slosh my tanks with Kreem thinned to 25% with acetone. You have to make sure the tanks are clean, dry and I rinsed my tanks with acetone before I sloshed. I think the key is to not apply Kreem to thick,only a thin coat will due. The directions indicate sloshing a second coat during the process. Making sure the tanks are cured after sloshing is important, low pressure from a hose from an air compresser works well. Are you tanks already installed in you wings? If so this may be a challenge.Dan GallowClassic IV, Jabiru

WISDAN
06-23-2009, 03:50 AM
I have also heard of the Kreem peeling in the tank. My research has discovered if you have the coating too thick it could peel, as in the stories we have all heard. Thin coats with no puddles is the proper way to apply. It is very important to fully cure Kreem after applying. Of course every builder should decide on their own which sealer to apply.

jrthomas
06-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks WISDAN for your advise. I know many of you have been through before me and I value all the advise I can get. Yes, my wings are finished and tanks installed but with a little help, the wings are light and should be easy enough to slosh. Airhog, I've read enough of your responces to realize you know your stuff so your advise will be highly considered. I hope others who have experience with this subject will respond. Team Kitfox has been a little slow lately. Maybe we can get things jumpin again like the "Which is best, O200 or 912. Thank ya'll.

jrthomas
06-23-2009, 06:21 PM
My wings are finished and ready to be mounted. I really don't want to tear into my wings to replace the tanks.But I will keep your suggestions in mind. Keep 'em coming.

jrthomas
06-24-2009, 03:34 AM
I have the fuel line situation covered. Just was unsure how to treat wing tanks. When wings are on I'll add a clear fuel filter on each line between wing tanks and header tank to keep an eye on any junk that might come through. No O-200. Just a plain old 912.