PDA

View Full Version : clear doors

Wheels
02-23-2015, 05:38 PM
I have a Model IV and want to take the old lexan doors and the fiberglass separation part off and rebuild them with just lexan skin over the frames. Anyone been there done that?

Av8r3400
02-23-2015, 07:37 PM
LP Aeroplastics' bubble doors. (Can be had directly from Kitfox.) They're worth every penny, IMO.

WISDAN
02-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Again, I absolutely agree with Av8r3400. The LP bubble clear doors are the way to go and could not be happier with mine. The cool part is they give your doors very solid feel especially when closing and opening. Visibility is second to none.
IMO.

Wheels
02-23-2015, 08:24 PM
aren't they about 800 dollars a set?

Av8r3400
02-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Page 51 of the Kitfox parts catalog. $600 for a pair.

Their clarity and the fact that they widen the cabin by 6" (3" each side) are huge. Not to mention dripping some fuel on them doesn't cause them to immediately craze.

SkySteve
02-23-2015, 09:28 PM
I had clear doors. Changed to tinted and love them, especially in the hot summer sun. There is a noticeable difference in cabin temperature and glare reduction.

B767
02-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Hi guys....Great site!
I have been lurking in the shadows for a few months here and finally am finding the time to post a message.
I live in Calgary, Alberta, and just bought a Kitfox 4 with a brand new 912S in it. The previous owner has posted on this site several times and he was the one that re-engined it from a 912 to a 912S, as well as installing a whole new glass panel.
I have owned 7 planes in the last 8 years so i tend to get bored fast. I just sold an RV 4.....so now its time to fly low and slow again! I am looking forward to some off airport stuff as well as gravel bar landings. The plane already has the bush gear on it, but will require some larger tires in the near future. I'm hoping that this plane will do me for several years!
Anyway, I have hundreds of questions for the group and am happy to be aboard!!! This thread looked like a good starting point for me as I too want to upgrade to these doors, looks like a great way to go! My question is this:
My doors already have the "bowed out" middle section that consists of the two cross brace tubes. I understand that you use the same frame with the clear doors??? If so, how would these doors give you an extra 3 inches on either side?
Anyways....again, fantastic site!! Looking forward to lots of "chatting"

Cheers!!!!
Wade

Av8r3400
02-23-2015, 11:26 PM
The "bubble" doors are bubbled out 3" outside the center bars of the door frames.

Av8r_Sed
02-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Any differences when flying with the bubble doors open?

Av8r3400
02-24-2015, 06:22 AM
Not that I know. I've had my plane over 100 mph with them open before I realized with no ill effects.

Slyfox
02-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Hi guys....Great site!
I have been lurking in the shadows for a few months here and finally am finding the time to post a message.
I live in Calgary, Alberta, and just bought a Kitfox 4 with a brand new 912S in it. The previous owner has posted on this site several times and he was the one that re-engined it from a 912 to a 912S, as well as installing a whole new glass panel.
I have owned 7 planes in the last 8 years so i tend to get bored fast. I just sold an RV 4.....so now its time to fly low and slow again! I am looking forward to some off airport stuff as well as gravel bar landings. The plane already has the bush gear on it, but will require some larger tires in the near future. I'm hoping that this plane will do me for several years!
Anyway, I have hundreds of questions for the group and am happy to be aboard!!! This thread looked like a good starting point for me as I too want to upgrade to these doors, looks like a great way to go! My question is this:
My doors already have the "bowed out" middle section that consists of the two cross brace tubes. I understand that you use the same frame with the clear doors??? If so, how would these doors give you an extra 3 inches on either side?
Anyways....again, fantastic site!! Looking forward to lots of "chatting"

Cheers!!!!
Wade

I like to know why you didn't think an rv can be flown low and slow?

I also have the kitfox 4 like you do with the 912uls, I'm sure you won't be getting bored of that airplane, lots of fun.

B767
02-24-2015, 09:21 AM
I like to know why you didn't think an rv can be flown low and slow?

I also have the kitfox 4 like you do with the 912uls, I'm sure you won't be getting bored of that airplane, lots of fun.

Good point! The RV was a great plane for flying low and slow as well. But not built for rough fields nor could it get airborne and land in less then 300'. I am going to miss having a true airspeed of 180mph though. I go fast from point A to B for a living, so I have gotten to a point in general aviation where it is much more enjoyable for me to go flying and have that "land almost anywhere" attitude.
You probably need at least 2 or 3 planes to satisfy the whole spectrum (not gonna happen for me).

Slyfox
02-24-2015, 10:29 AM
that's why I have an rv and a kitox:D

tommg13780
02-24-2015, 11:35 AM
These are heavy and expensive but just look cool.

Paul Z
02-24-2015, 12:35 PM
I have them on my SLSA, and I concur they are cool. I would recommend using the black pan head screws like john does on the SLSAs you can't even tell they are there from a distance, and you don't need nearly as many as several people have put in. John also uses a very nice chrome plated dome headed nut on the inside of the door that make it a really clean installation. I think he uses about 12 to 14 total screws to install the bubble door. I must admit the bubble doors dive you a great view, and the extra 3 inches at the elbows make for a very comfortable ride. The upper left of the bottom picture shows the Domed Nuts

HighWing
02-24-2015, 01:24 PM
These are heavy and expensive but just look cool.
I was not excited by the "Heavy" especially on a IV and I can replace mine several times for the cost of the heavy. I didn't like the fiberglass center section so went with bent aluminum H channel.

What might be visually confusing in the lower door section is the seat pan without upholstery.

HighWing
02-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Welcome Wade. I think you found the right airplane. In my opinion, the best of the best - keep it light.

B767
02-24-2015, 01:38 PM
So the pictures that you guys are showing, are these the same ones that Kifox is selling?
How much heavier are they then the normal kit doors?

Paul Z
02-24-2015, 01:40 PM
My door is on an SLSA built by the factory

Slyfox
02-24-2015, 03:36 PM
I have the bubble door frame. than clear lexan is on the top and bottom with a strip of fiberglass in the center where the controls for the doors are. I really like this cus it's light and I can see the wheels when I land. yup like that part. I never look out over the top when landing, nope, quit that long ago.

oh ya another thing. I think the lexan is .060 on the doors. makes em even lighter.

megawatt
02-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Question about the bubble doors. Can anyone comment on how photos come out when taken through the "bubbles" instead of a flat window? Thanks, Dave

Paul Z
02-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Pretty good with an iPhone

Paul Z
02-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Over the Great Salt Lake using a iPhone.

Slyfox
02-24-2015, 11:15 PM
when I take pictures in my rv they are always bad, bunch of reflection, you name it, bad. In the kitfox, always good, no complaints.

Esser
02-25-2015, 07:17 AM
You can also open the door for a picture:)

jiott
02-25-2015, 10:31 AM
A friend who is a semi-professional photograher gave me a good tip: If you are using a digital SLR (not a cell phone camera) camera get a flexible lens hood for it. When taking a picture press the rubber lens hood up against the plexiglass; it will eliminate any problems with reflections. I tried it and it works.

SkySteve
02-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Paul Z,
Wow! What a great shot, what a great plane, what a great area to fly!!! :cool::D (you knew I would respond, didn't you)

Paul Z
02-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Sky Steve,
I think the reason that is such a great shot is because the two planes involved are some of Kitfox History, and because we are the two old codgers that are lucky enough to fly them. :D

Are you planning on attending the Kitfox Factory Flyin?

Paul Z (AKA St. Nick)

SkySteve
02-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Paul Z,
Yes sir. This "old codger" will be there. Looking forward to flying with you again.

Paul Z
02-28-2015, 03:04 PM
I plan on attending as long as the heat holds out, and the creek don't rise.

SkySteve
02-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Don't worry about the creek rising. Not enough snow this year to get the ground wet. The heat, well the heat might be unbearable. There may be lots of lake bottom to land on!!