PDA

View Full Version : Covering question

Xengineguy
02-22-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm about to start covering the wings on my IV speedster. I will be using
Poly fibre system. My question is gluing the fabric to the last rib? Mine has removable wing tips, do you cover over the aluminum strips and nutplates
And rap under? I don't think rib stitching is an option on that rib? Fabric
Rivets? What did you guys do??:)
Thanks. Mike

N213RV
02-22-2015, 08:06 PM
I wrapped the fabric around the rib, then riveted on the wing tip doubles. I then put finish tapes over the rivets.

mr bill
02-22-2015, 09:18 PM
I did the same. Better pictures tomorrow.

mr bill
02-23-2015, 09:11 AM
These pictures show more clearly the attachment of fabric before installing the aluminum wing tip retaining strip.

Xengineguy
02-23-2015, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the responses, I thought that might be the better option,however
On my wing the aluminum strips are glued and riveted to the rib already.
I like putting the fabric under the strip. :)

scanman55
02-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Mr Bill.
I am not ready to start covering, but I am trying to learn as much as poss before I start so here is the question. Just to clarify, fabric first, then tip mounting strip, then seam tape??

mr bill
02-23-2015, 07:16 PM
That is correct.

scanman55
02-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks, another one for the notebook.

Bryan
02-24-2015, 10:58 AM
I covered mine with the strips on. Glue the fabric to the rib. Once dry I then cut about 6 cuts up to the rib edge. Then take an iron (I use a hobby iron here) and form the fabric down to the aluminum strip, this is helping to get a nice job on the 1/8th inch drop that you have before the strip. Once this looks good glue the fabric down onto the top of the aluminum strip. With a little work this lays down nice and doing it in the 6 or 7 pieces helps with making it easier. Once dry I then cut my remaining fabric so that when I glue it to the bottom side of the aluminum strip it has plenty of surface area. (I take it up to the rib). I then cut the fabric out where each anchor nut is located, heat the fabric so it forms around the aluminum strip, then glue the fabric down between each nut plate. All that is left to do is burn the holes out with a solder gun so the screw will attach.
This allows you to finish this area just as you do the rest, and I always have felt like once the tips are attached this helps hold any fabric.

Xengineguy
02-24-2015, 08:52 PM
I covered mine with the strips on. Glue the fabric to the rib. Once dry I then cut about 6 cuts up to the rib edge. Then take an iron (I use a hobby iron here) and form the fabric down to the aluminum strip, this is helping to get a nice job on the 1/8th inch drop that you have before the strip. Once this looks good glue the fabric down onto the top of the aluminum strip. With a little work this lays down nice and doing it in the 6 or 7 pieces helps with making it easier. Once dry I then cut my remaining fabric so that when I glue it to the bottom side of the aluminum strip it has plenty of surface area. (I take it up to the rib). I then cut the fabric out where each anchor nut is located, heat the fabric so it forms around the aluminum strip, then glue the fabric down between each nut plate. All that is left to do is burn the holes out with a solder gun so the screw will attach.
This allows you to finish this area just as you do the rest, and I always have felt like once the tips are attached this helps hold any fabric.

Thanks Bryan. That may be the way to go for mine,also looking at fabric rivets instead of rib stitching?? Thanks again. Mike:)

avidflyer
02-26-2015, 06:55 PM
I think a lot of guys are afraid of ribstiching. When you look at the pictures of the knots, it's easy to say, must be a better easier way. I ribstiched my Kitfox 4 wings after looking for an easier way. It ended up being easy and fun. It did take a bit of time, but I was glad I did it when I was done. At any rate, don't think it's to hard. It's really not. Jim Chuk