PDA

View Full Version : FNG Introductions

g2em3
02-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Hello Kitfoxers...

New to this forum. I have been a fan of Kitfox planes since I first saw them at the Alaska State Fair maybe in 1984-ish. I wanted one then so bad but I was only 13 at the time.

Currently living near Oregon City Oregon, married with two children and have hit midlife in stride.

I'm very interested in purchasing a Kitfox, more of the Series 7 Bush Plane setup, very minimal with large tundra tires and minimal instruments.

My problem/s is I do not have the $ resources to obtain the entire kit on one purchase. Also need some guidance on how to convince the wife this idea to build a plane in the garage is THE BEST IDEA EVER!!!

What path of ownership is the best?

Thanks for any advice in advance...Ed

Dave S
02-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Ed,

Can't think of anyone I know who can afford flying.....:rolleyes:...That's not the point...the point is like this......I can guarantee you that NOBODY who has built an airplane, tested it and learned much from the journey shared with their family & friends, when they are 107 years old on their death bed will EVER say "Gee, I sure wish I hadn't built that airplane".

I think you already have thoughts about how to minimize the cost so you can "git 'er done"....having minimum instruments and no extras goes a long way. Just like the pounds on the empty weight can add up...the $ can add up if a person gets every accessory ever sold.

I was one of those people who had to mimimize my expenses so I could do it....most would consider it a little radical but I started by ordering a bare frame and weldments..no powder coating...done sandblasting & lots of painting in the past so that was no big deal....getting the slow build wings saves some $......I shopped the aeronautical wrecking yard....& didn't have to look too far to find some very basic and inexpensive but good instruments...seems that the rest of the world was taking them out and putting something called "glass" in the panels.

One thing that often isn't talked about on cost of a build is just how badly the total cost will increase if a person takes too long to get the build done. Costs never go down...builders insurance keeps sucking up dollars every year the plane is not done and flying. But, we all have our limitations on how much we can spend per year so set a total plan and stick to it as well as you can. Planning=cheaper. Not planning =not cheaper.

Having one's spouse on board - That's as good idea! Best ever argument...."Honey, if I build this airplane in the garage you will always know where I am for (insert amount of time in your build plan)". Many spouses also get involved in the build - it'a great to work together on a project. Then there is the deal when you get it done & tested....she needs a ride! You know, us humans, we are happiest when we are involved in activities that we are intensly interested in.....wives like happy husbands.... Supporting one's spouse in things they want to do goes a long ways too:) - gotta be fair!

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

896tr
02-15-2015, 04:20 PM
When I bought my series 6 kit in 2000 Kitfox (actually it was Skystar at that time) hooked me up with a bank that financed it. No regrets, I would do it again.

g2em3
02-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Very true Dave S.
Boats, Planes, Fast Cars all require $ we don't have but we make our dreams come true somehow.

Thanks for the Words of Wisdom, I will need to learn the fine art of used items and labor over $...I do have time and the stay in the garage trick will help. I'll be here honey, for about 4000+ hours.

896tr, I will look at loans, kind of want this paid for with no loans but maybe the whole time vs. money thing has me rethinking that angle. Thanks for the replies...Ed

DesertFox4
02-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Ed, welcome. Keep in mind that the kits can be purchased one at a time to lessen the checking account drain. Just know that you will incur more shipping charges that way but it may be one avenue to building a little sooner than you might otherwise. My advice is always to get the fuselage kit first if you do go this route.

Hope it works out soon for you. Like Dave said, no regrets when you build and fly your own Kitfox. So many regrets if you never do. Best of luck to you.

PapuaPilot
02-15-2015, 05:11 PM
I couldn't afford to buy a new kit, engine, avionics, prop, etc. I kept watching on Barnstormers and other sites for a new unfinished Kitfox project. You should be able to find these for less than half the price of new.

One of the things that helped me was to determine what I did not want and avoided them. I didn't want a KF IV-1050 or earlier model, a two stroke Rotax or an automotive engine. I really wanted a KF 5 (the newer series) or higher model with a Rotax 4 cycle or a certified aircraft engine.

I found several airframes without engines that I could have purchased. If you get the airframe at at a bargain price you still might have to buy a new engine, engine mount, cowling, prop and avionics and it is not much of a bargain. It turned out much better to buy an airframe and engine together. That way the engine mount, cowl, prop and other things were already a matched set. I would avoid buying a good airframe with an engine, mount and cowl that I didn't intend use; chances are there won't be much of a market to sell those.

You can also watch for a plane that was in an accident and possibly get a really good price, but do you have the skills to rebuild it? How deep did the damage really go? What looks like a bargain may not be the case once you totally tear down the airframe, engine, etc. I personally decided to avoid this.

As it ended up I found a model 5 Outback (tail dragger) with a brand new (in the crate) Continental IO-240 engine with matching cowlings, engine mount and prop. It did not include any avionics, which I was happy about because I got to pick what I wanted. FYI the Model 5 and 6 aren't a lot different from the model 7 and most of the changes can be incorporated if you so desire. So for about half the price of getting a new kit I have a new model 5. I should be done building it by this summer. :D

g2em3
02-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies, never thought of the used angle. Some good ideas here and good people...Ed

KFfan
02-15-2015, 06:38 PM
My input since my motivation is different, I think, than most others here.

I purchased a used flying Kitfox II. I am going to get my Sport license this coming summer. I have not held a license and my age suggests I would never finish a build. I will be able to go through instruction in my airplane and after obtaining my license, I have a plane to continue flying. I have no aspirations to go beyond sport flying.

fwiw

selenski
02-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Hate to be a prude, but I'm wondering if "FNG" is an appropriate term here.
Joe

g2em3
02-15-2015, 08:36 PM
I'll try to edit it selenski.

I tried.

Looks like I can't remove the Title, it seems time based.

If there is an admin who wants to edit it out feel free.

Was not trying to offend.

SkyPirate
02-15-2015, 09:04 PM
my story is similar ..I wanted a model 4 1200 or up tail dragger..rotax 912..if a model 5 or up it had to be registered LSA..took me awhile but finally found one,,went and test flew it bought it flew it home..a model 5 outback , I put the wheel pants on and new tires,,it had 800's on it and I changed out the panel

jiott
02-15-2015, 09:33 PM
G2em3 welcome to the forum. I see you are in Beavercreek, right around the corner from where I keep my Kitfox SS7 at Fairways airport. Could almost throw a rock and hit your house. Airfox (Scott) also keeps his SS7 at Fairways so you have 2 of us nearby for assistance. There is a 3rd Kitfox SS7 (Floog) based at Pearson airport, so there actually 3 of us in the Portland area who just finished our builds in the last year or so and are now flying.

rocketman2tm
02-16-2015, 03:27 PM
I've been doing what most people do when they build an airplane - buy components as you can afford them.

Desert Fox is correct, try to pay for shipping on the large components (read that as wings and fuselage) once if you can. I'm not sure what charges would be incurred with shipping the landing gear separately. Pretty much everything else can come when you need it.

Other than that, I think I might be running with a bad crowd that is taking me away from the minimalist category (fuel injection, not using the fabric that comes with the kit, recently bought a heated pitot tube, etc.) and I haven't even bought avionics yet.

The best way that I managed to convince my wife that this was a good idea was to include her hobby in it. She is a biologist that loves nature photography and enjoys camping, so selling a Kitfox to here was pretty easy. The parking outside thing is still a sore subject, but at least we only live in Wisconsin, not Boston. :)

I wish you luck.

g2em3
02-16-2015, 09:50 PM
I'll have to look you up Jim Ott.

This is the grass airport with the white hangers next to the golf course?

How much per month to park in the hanger?

SSFoxBuilder
02-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Ed,

Welcome aboard!

I am located in Hood River and I'm currently building a SS7 with my dad. Just finishing up the finishing tapes on the fuselage, then onto spraying the various coats. No wings as of yet, or the engine, prop, and avionics. Like you, the $$ wasn't immediately available purchase everything outright so we are just picking up the necessary items as we go along.

Many people will tell you it's cheaper to just go out and purchase one already completed, however, I'm sure nothing can compare to the accomplishment of building your own flying machine.

Anyways, give me a shout if you find yourself out in the gorge and would like to take a look and what we have going so far.

Dustin

jiott
02-17-2015, 10:39 AM
g2em3, Yes its the airport right next to the golf course and near Oregon City High School. Hangars are $140/month but they are nothing to shout about; some roof leaks, some buildings not very secure.

bbs428
02-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Heja Ed,

As a fellow #ng welcome aboard, lol ;) (np with me)

I concur with all the advise given. I'll add my own 2cw

In my case, I wasn't even looking tbo, just never thought I could find one or pay for one with the way things were. Found it through a friend who new the guy in a town 20 minutes from my home!
Once I saw it It rekindled the dream like a bonfire. Had to sell some toy's and promise the wife all sorts of stuff...:(
Bottom line is I scraped up the 10k that I needed to start on my dream.
It will take a while to finish it and it won't be easy but it will get done.

My point is - You can find it and you can make it happen - just do it sooner than later.
You only have so much time in your life account.

Just one more point. If your plane is done well, most of the money is not being thrown away. If you shop around and buy smart you will recoup a decent percentage of it when it's time to say goodbye.

You'll never recoup your labor so just forget it! :D

Fair winds Ed, best of luck!!

Paul Z
02-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the group from a F.O.G., that kind of fits as we get older our memory can be a bit FOGgy!