PDA

View Full Version : Temp lift strut brace

Nathaniel
06-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Opening pages of wing construction reference a temp lift strut brace crafted from a 2x4 approximately 36.5 inches long. It is still unclear to me exactly where you attach this to the wing. It sounds like it runs between the spar and the strut to keep It rigid and immobile, but they are very specific about where it goes on the bracket and I just can't "see" it. Thanks in advance.

darinh
06-19-2009, 11:24 AM
This simply supports the wing strut (and spaces it generally for mounting to the fuse) until you get the wing on the airplane and the jury strut installed. You will cut the 2x4 and put it lengthwise between one of the strut members and the spar, then use a bungy or strap to hold it in place while hanging the wing. Once you have done this the first time and rigged and attached the jury strut it is not necessary anymore. Hope this helps.

Dave S
06-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Nathaniel,

2 X 4 and duct tape - works even for us norwegians.

cpdutch
10-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Dave,

Must be that I'm not Norwegian, but I'm having a tough time visualizing what this temporary lift strut brace does as well.

Is it oriented with the longest dimension vertical or horizontal? If horizontal, does it run parallel to the fuselage or perpendicular? Does it go only between the spar and the strut, or does it contact the ground to hold the strut up?

I've scoured the Teamkitfox forum and not found any build pictures showing the brace in use.

Kinda feeling a little stupid, but it's just not clear to me.

Thanks,

Charles

Nathaniel,

2 X 4 and duct tape - works even for us norwegians.

patrick.hvac
10-17-2023, 10:27 AM
Dave,

Must be that I'm not Norwegian, but I'm having a tough time visualizing what this temporary lift strut brace does as well.

Is it oriented with the longest dimension vertical or horizontal? If horizontal, does it run parallel to the fuselage or perpendicular? Does it go only between the spar and the strut, or does it contact the ground to hold the strut up?

I've scoured the Teamkitfox forum and not found any build pictures showing the brace in use.

Kinda feeling a little stupid, but it's just not clear to me.

Thanks,

Charles

Check here: http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/Kitfox3.htm
Picture of the brace in use halfway down the page.

cpdutch
10-17-2023, 11:38 AM
Thank you! Now I get it! And if you don’t mind I’m going to bookmark your build log. It’s very nicely done, and may come in handy at my next turn in the project.

Check here: http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/Kitfox3.htm
Picture of the brace in use halfway down the page.

patrick.hvac
10-17-2023, 12:25 PM
Thank you! Now I get it! And if you donÂ’t mind IÂ’m going to bookmark your build log. ItÂ’s very nicely done, and may come in handy at my next turn in the project.

I would love to take credit but I cannot. That is not my build log. I found it very useful during my build as well.
Good luck!