PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Factory Fly-in

jdmcbean
01-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Decided to have a poll regarding the 2015 Factory Fly-In.
In 2013 we had the fly-in in McCall ID... It was well received and enjoyed. There are still those that like the idea of having the factory fly-in.... at the factory..
We are in the planning stages for this year and currently we are looking at the last weekend in August..
Should we do McCall ? Or in Homedale ?
If McCall the factory would be open for tours on the Thursday before.

SkySteve
01-30-2015, 10:14 PM
I didn't make it to the McCall fly in last year due to weather so I would say McCall. Seems like it has motels and cafe's close by, plus it's close to the backcountry. But the Homedale fly ins have been great. 1st choice, McCall, but I'm good with either.

Wheels
01-31-2015, 07:16 AM
MCcall would be first choice but I love Homedale, so no conflict.

PapuaPilot
01-31-2015, 07:43 AM
I hope to have mine flying and will probably still be in Phase 1 flight testing. Homedale would be within my radius, but I would rather go to McCall.

AirFox
01-31-2015, 07:54 AM
My first choice is McCall, but I will still go if it is in Homedale.

Scott

jgjoern
01-31-2015, 12:35 PM
Any thoughts to a different weekend other than Labor Day weekend? Maybe the first or second weekend in Sept?

Esser
01-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Doesn't matter to me. It will be tight to see if the kitfox is ready this fly-in. But I still hope to make it either in the cherokee or the aztec if my schedule works.

FoxDB
01-31-2015, 03:14 PM
Homedale, ID

Danzer1
01-31-2015, 06:46 PM
Any thoughts to a different weekend.....

Labor day is Sept. 7 - which is the 1st weekend of Sept. Last weekend of August works for me.

cgruby
01-31-2015, 06:54 PM
Both sound OK with me, but I would prefer New Orleans.

HighWing
02-02-2015, 07:51 AM
I like the August date and prefer the factory location. In my opinion, McCall seemed a tad impersonal vs. the friendlier environment of the factory location.

sourdostan
02-04-2015, 01:41 AM
I vote for Homedale for the reasons voiced by Lowell. Would prefer last weekend in August or Labor Day weekend.

neville
02-04-2015, 06:58 AM
If it is at Homedale where are motels and transportation? My self, my wife,
and our SS7 super sport will be there at either location.

jdmcbean
02-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Hotels are the main issue when in Homedale. Nearest is Best Western and La Quinta in Caldwell... Approximately 17 miles.
Nothing closer that I would recommend. The Hotel in Homedale is not an option.

offroute
02-04-2015, 10:34 AM
My vote is for McCall.

hansedj
02-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Is there a place to camp in McCall? If so does not really matter to me.

series7
02-11-2015, 11:42 AM
We made it as far as North Platte in 2013 and hope to get from Ohio to Idaho this year. I would prefer a weekend in September at McCall.

Ken Robinson

BobRS
02-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Back to McCall, submitted for my wife Kitfox Kath.

jdmcbean
02-26-2015, 09:16 AM
New Orleans ?? In August ?? :eek: Someday, maybe as far east as Canyon Lands... :D

Poll will be closing March 1st.. So if you're planning on coming this year let us know your thoughts.

Paul Z
02-26-2015, 01:01 PM
I like the idea of McCall or New Orleans. The only issue with New Orleans, who's going to be the designated Pilot, after we all visit Boubon Street. If it's August, I would recommend late August so John, Debbie, Paul can catch up and rest from the Oshkosh Flyin. I would say McCall sounds good, less issues with shuttling back and forth from the Factory to the Hotels, and I would imagine the resturant situation is better. Currently I have it on my calendar for the September 11, 12, & 13, as close to the dates for the last Factory Flyin. I sure hope I am able to make it this year!

TahoeTim
02-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Hey if we can pick any city we want, I vote for Lake Tahoe. :D

Slyfox
02-26-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm for the date John stated, August. I also like the location in McCall because of the motels.

flythebee
03-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Add one more vote for McCall. Had a great time at the last fly-in exploring the town. Also had a great time flying into a few backcountry strips.

AirFox
04-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Anyone hear the final date and location yet?

jdmcbean
04-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Ok... There has been LOTS of discussion going on and here is the verdict.

Technically it will start on Thursday, August 20th at the factory.. So for those that want to visit the factory most certainly can. Kind of an open house all day Thursday and Friday morning. Then Friday afternoon there will be a departure for McCall.. An informal get together Friday night... Possibly a planning meeting for a Saturday flight into the back country for breakfast... Then a dinner Saturday night. Sunday more or less a free for all... those that want to go back country and others that need to plan for home or maybe play around McCall for the day.
We will have a great time! Hope all can make it!
More details will be posted soon. But there are the dates for you to plan on...
Put it on your calendar.

SkySteve
04-26-2015, 08:57 PM
On the calendar. Really looking forward to it. Kris and I will be there.

Paul Z
05-03-2015, 12:33 PM
I called the Best Western Plus 211 S 3rd St McCall ID, their rooms are already starting to fill up. They said no block discount has been set up. $149 & $159 per night for a Double Queen room. I'm calling the Holiday inn next.

jdmcbean
05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Latest Update: See the attached PDF

Please RSVP to Kitfox-fly-in@kitfoxaircraft.com

We are still working on some other things (back country fly-out) and will post them as they are completed.

Esser
05-07-2015, 09:01 AM
I like camping out of my plane. Is there anywhere around to fly in camp that is nice? The Kitfox probably won't make it this year so the camping spot needs to be able to not beat up a cherokee too bad.

SkySteve
05-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Esser,
Garden Valley is fairly close to McCall. Next to a nice river, trees, and you could land a 747 on the grass airstrip.

skbenson
05-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Stan and Kathy Benson will be driving up to McCall from Reno and have reservations at the Holiday Inn Express

jdmcbean
06-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone if you're planning on attending the Factory fly-in please send an RSVP kitfox-fly-in@kitfoxaircraft.com

Look forward to seeing everyone!

SkySteve
07-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Sweet, very sweet!

TahoeTim
08-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Nancy and I will be there. We are driving from Tahoe. Are there any opportunities to jump in empty seats for the back country flight?

Kitfox Aircraft
08-05-2015, 03:30 PM
THIRD Bi-Annual

Kitfox Mountain Fly – OUT

Offered and coordinated by Stick & Rudder Aviation (Paul Leadabrand) in conjunction with the Kitfox Factory Fly-in.

August 21st & 22nd 2015

The plan:
To gain some mountain flying proficiency
To see beautiful Idaho
To land off pavement
To eat a good breakfast (

@ Sulphur Creek Ranch)
To further the Kitfox social

Where:
Direct to Sulphur Creek Ranch (ID74) – Eat breakfast - circuitous return down the “Middle Fork of the Salmon” river to Indian Creek (S81) - then up the Indian Creek drainage, over the Stibnite Mine, and down the East Fork of the South Fork of the Salmon” to the famous Johnson Creek (3U2) – then return to McCall via the exciting dramatic low weather canyon route - past an old B23 bomber crash site (Loon Lake) - and back into McCall over Payette Lake

http://tighar.org/Projects/Histpres/courses/ID2000/loonlake.html (http://tighar.org/Projects/Histpres/courses/ID2000/loonlake.html)

If the pilots attending are sufficiently experienced – and the airplanes are appropriately configured – other more challenging airstrips will be possible.
We will travel as a group - based on the slowest, least experienced & equipped.
The pre-trip meeting will determine this.

When:
SATURDAY 9/14/2013

0730 wheels up from McCall – en masse (that's French)
An informal pre-trip meeting will be held Friday night at approximately 8:00 pm. @ the South Side Grill - helpful handouts and a sign-up sheet (no limit) will be passed at that time.
Estimate return to McCall by 11:30-Noon.

Logistical Details:
● This will be a follow the leader – show me tour. This is not formal flight instruction (as I'm not sitting in your right seat).
● I will offer suggestions how to cross the mountain passes & “Shop” the unfamiliar airstrips for arrival, go around, and departure corridors.
● We will all communicate on a discrete frequency – with the leader (me) communicating our flight position on the backcountry frequency.
● We will all stick together – we will not leave anyone behind – we will travel at the speed of the slowest Kitfox. I have assigned an airline captain friend who recently completed a Kitfox Super Sport as the “tail end charlie” - he will assure no one is left behind.
● I have made reservations for Breakfast at the lodge. There is plenty of outside and inside seating. There are only 2 ordering options - “full” and “half - the price is $20/$15 the bill is on your own.
● We will stretch our legs (bathrooms) at each of the 3 airports listed.
● Round-robin flight time should be about 3 hours, so fuel should not be an issue. If you have an emergency need – auto gas is available at Johnson Creek, if you bring your own gas can! I can carry some extra gas in my plane - as needed.
● Based on our route – mountain pass altitudes will only be 8,000'. Although environmental conditions could send the Density Altitude even higher.
● No maps are needed – I will provide you with an enlarged copy of the route.

● For pictures, videos, descriptions, and advise - please review these links prior to our flight:
●Sulphur Creek
●http://www.idahoaviation.com/idahoAirstripDetail.php?id=53 (http://www.idahoaviation.com/idahoAirstripDetail.php?id=53)
●http://sulphurcreekranch.com (http://sulphurcreekranch.com/)

●Indian Creek
●http://www.idahoaviation.com/idahoAirstripDetail.php?id=56 (http://www.idahoaviation.com/idahoAirstripDetail.php?id=56)

●Johnson Creek
●http://www.idahoaviation.com/idahoAirstripDetail.php?id=29 (http://www.idahoaviation.com/idahoAirstripDetail.php?id=29)
●http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mnyxm2QF0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mnyxm2QF0)

●(Don’t forget to click on the “View Airstrip Diagram” AND the Web Cam links - within the Idaho Aviation Web site)

● If arranged ahead of time with Email addresses - Family and friends back in McCall or back home can monitor our route, via a web site, to my personal satellite tracker.

Please RSVP to:

Stick & Rudder Aviation

Paul Leadabrand - founder, managing member, chief instructor

Email: kitfox.training@gmail.com (kitfox.training@gmail.com)

208-477-1318

Web site: stick-rudder.com (http://stick-rudder.com/)

Kitfox Aircraft
08-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Sorry.. Here is the PDF for the Fly-out info

TahoeTim
08-06-2015, 05:45 PM
two seats needed please will buy breakfast and gas

P Morel
08-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Listed on SocialFlight.com

http://www.socialflight.com/event-details.php

Check it out and don't forget to RSVP

DesertFox4
08-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Large wild fire closing in on Homedale, Id. :(.
The Soda fire has grown to over 200,000 acres as of today. Only 20% contained. Large TFR over the area for firefighting crews.
Maybe say a little prayer for our Kifox Aircraft families and their neighbors tonight.

Paul Z
08-12-2015, 08:52 PM
I pray the McBean's are safe, and all associated with Kitfox Employees and families are safe.

God Bless you all!

Kitfox Aircraft
08-13-2015, 06:26 AM
Thank You!!
All safe here.. Kitfoxes tucked away in their dens... Looks like they are getting a better handle on it and it is supposed to cool down tomorrow.

DesertFox4
08-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the update. Good news. :)

neville
08-13-2015, 12:13 PM
fire boundary available at:

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4475/

Slyfox
08-13-2015, 12:25 PM
my aopa flightplanner shows all the tfr's. if things stay the same I should be able to fly to Lewiston and straight down the McCall.

Kitfox Aircraft
08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
It's time for our Bi-Annual Fly-In and we have had a number of sponsors contribute to our prize give away at our dinner on Saturday night. We would like to feature these event partners here and tell you about some deals and their prizes!

Over the years, Western Aircraft has become one of the West’s largest aircraft services companies, offering maintenance, aircraft sales, avionics sales & installation, aircraft parts sales, FBO services, airline fueling, aircraft charters, and aircraft management.

If you've flown with Stick & Rudder Aviation you've probably experienced the excellent service and beautiful facilities at Western Aircraft!

They are generous enough to provide us with 2 gift cards to be given away each good for 25 gallons of fuel. But they didn't stop there, if you mention the Fly-In on your fuel stop, you will get an $0.80 per gallon discount on your fuel. THANK YOU Western Aircraft!!

www.westair.com

Slyfox
08-13-2015, 02:53 PM
It's time for our Bi-Annual Fly-In and we have had a number of sponsors contribute to our prize give away at our dinner on Saturday night...

ok, I'm confused. Which isn't hard. Is this the FBO in McCall?

Kitfox Aircraft
08-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Western Aircraft is the FBO in Boise.

Slyfox
08-16-2015, 12:14 PM
to let everybody know, there is a temp tower starting tomorrow at McCall.

this is the Notam: 08/004 - SVC TEMPO TWR LOCAL CTL 134.325 GROUND CTL 132.425 DLY
1400-0300. 17 AUG 14:00 2015 UNTIL 02 SEP 03:00 2015. CREATED: 16 AUG 18:25

Paul Z
08-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Sly fox, I hate to be dumb, but are your referring to a TFR flight restriction area for the fire near McCall? I’ll have to go look up the NOTAMs.

I should read the post in its entirety. I read Notam McCall and was thinking because of the adjacent fire they were shutting down the airspace for the fire. After reading the Notam on line it is about a temporary Tower, but I would imagine it is because of the air traffic fighting fires near McCall.

Slyfox
08-16-2015, 02:27 PM
no this is the notam for the tower starting tomorrow at McCall and running through September 2. seems the times will be 8 to 9 daily. has the tower freqs as well

Slyfox
08-16-2015, 02:37 PM
absolutely. here in Spokane, CDA airport in Idaho was made the airport for fighting fires, it normally doesn't have a tower, but it does now for fighting those fires here locally.

Slyfox
08-16-2015, 02:38 PM
If you are going to the fly-in you need to write down the freqs for tower and ground so you can have them ready to use.

jiott
08-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Does anybody know how the local fires are affecting visibility in McCall and in the backcountry flyout areas for Saturday morning?

jdmcbean
08-16-2015, 06:04 PM
McCall is currently mostly clear vis 10 miles... Much of the back country is still good.. Although not perfectly blue skies, still good vis.

SERVICE TEMPORARY AIRPORT CONTROL TOWER LOCAL CONTROL 134.325 GROUND CONTROL 132.425 DAILY 1400-0300. 17 AUG 14:00 2015 UNTIL 02 SEP 03:00 2015. CREATED: 16 AUG 18:25 2015

Don't get discouraged easily, we are still 4 days away.. Things can change quickly (good and bad) and we'll have a great time regardless. Most of all be safe.

Homedale is hosting the heli tac firefighters.. It is not in the TFR and they are not planing to include it.. They are aware of our fly-in and have been great to work with. I would suggest landing 31 if winds permit.. Otherwise land long on 13.

Kitfox Aircraft
08-16-2015, 06:59 PM
SPOT offers peace of mind by allowing you to track your assets, notify friends and family of your GPS position and status, mark waypoints, track your progress on Maps or notify rescue officials in an emergency.

SPOT Gen3 provides location based messaging and emergency notification technology that allows you to communicate from remote locations around the globe using satellite technology more reliable than cellular service.

We use em at the factory and we swear by them!

SPOT has provided a SPOT Gen3 and one year of service to one of our lucky attendees! THANK YOU SPOT!!!

www.findmespot.com

DesertFox4
08-16-2015, 11:11 PM
SPOT will be riding with me to the factory fly in. Don't leave home without it.

kitfox2009
08-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Hi all
I just got home and been thinking about possibly heading down to the flyin with C-FOXK.
Is there anyone with a room booked that would like to split it with an old Canadian.
The weather looks good, I just have to figure out all the security stuff at the border.
If interested, send a private message.
Cheers
Don

Slyfox
08-18-2015, 02:12 PM
The smoke is the bad thing. I had 3 mile vis this morning on my daily flight. I did just fine, I found that flying close to the ground was better than in the soup. the smell, nauseating.

Kitfox Aircraft
08-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Here is the latest update for the Kitfox Fly-in festivities...

Esser
08-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Work work work in the way again. Hopefully I will see everyone in 2 years!

offroute
08-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Dianna and I hope to make it to McCall on Friday afternoon in 42DF. We're up for the breakfast fly-out and banquet if space allows. We're watching the smoke and will make our decision tomorrow.

Kitfox Aircraft
08-19-2015, 07:39 AM
We're pleased to announce that Rotax flying and safety club has stepped up in a big way and has partnered with us to sponsor the Kitfox Fly-In banquet dinner! So if you've pre-registered for the dinner, the cost is being cover by Rotax flying and safety club.

THANK YOU ROTAX!

We are also glad to welcome Rotax personnel to the event who will be around all weekend.

Paul Z
08-19-2015, 07:41 AM
I'm sitting in the Lubbock airport weathered in IFR with 20 - 25 MPH winds. I get to sit and wait. Hopefully it will clear up by noon. Long Cross Countries can be such fun. Very nice Pilots Lounge at Lubbock Aero.

DesertFox4
08-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Thank you Rotax. 😃 Very nice. See you at the fly in.

Paul Z
08-19-2015, 09:44 AM
I'm still waiting at 11:45 AM, it still shows IFR with 20-25 for winds. I guess I'll get a second night in Lubbock.

neville
08-19-2015, 12:11 PM
So the weather is going to stack-up against the Cascades on Friday
causing big problems getting over the big hills. (Seattle area). I am departing Thursday, going to Lewiston (KLWS), spend the night and drop down to McCall Friday. Great news about Rotax and Dinner.

Paul Z
08-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Well another night in Lubbock, the weather is still Marginal IFR, with winds. I did get a good 1 1/2 hour nap.

Av8r_Sed
08-19-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm out, didn't even launch. Solid IFR with numerous T-Storms for the past two days in the upper Mississippi valley. Now with frontal passage we've got screaming low level winds on the nose. I'll try again in two years.

I wish everyone who makes it a great time. I hope the smoke allows the fly-out on Saturday.

kitfox2009
08-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Decided to stay here. Things don't look good in eastern Washington.
Hopefully those that make it have a super time.
Cheers
Don

Paul Z
08-20-2015, 06:10 AM
After fighting persistent headwinds Tuesday trying to get behind the front, then IFR ceiling & high winds in Lubbock until 4:30 on Wednesday, and I still need a hard day and a half to get to McCall. That would put me there Friday Afternoon. I have decided to head home. I hope you all have a great time at the Fly In maybe next time. I really wanted to see the new STOL Kitfox, and to see all of my Kitfox Friends.

offroute
08-20-2015, 07:19 AM
Fred and Dianna will not be making it in 42DF. We hope all that do have a safe and wonderful time.

DesertFox4
08-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Dan B & myself left Phoenix about 6:20 am local time as a flight of two. We had clear skies until we got to Ely,Nv. Smoke got pretty thick. We cruised at between 10,500' and 12,000' to pick up nice tailwinds and smoother air. Both of us had oxygen systems aboard. Got to try my new Stratus 2S with Foreflight's synthetic vision. Very nice system and comforting to have in the lower visibiliy of the smoke. Found ADSB coverage through a few areas of Nevada needs some improvements. I even had the optional external antenna for the Stratus and found large areas where no towers were being received.
Got into Homedale around 5:30 or so Idaho time.
John said they had a good turn out for factory tour day today. Off to mcCall in the morning.
Please be safeif flying in.

SkySteve
08-21-2015, 09:05 AM
DF4 & Dan,
Several of us are in McCall waiting for you!! Clear and sunny in McCall

DesertFox4
08-21-2015, 02:31 PM
At McCall. Maybe 15 Kitfoxs already. Sky is clear so trip up from Homedale was pretty smokie in the valley but clear north of Boise all the way to McCall.

DesertFox4
08-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Photo from McCall.

Slyfox
08-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Have fun. I can't get out of here if I wanted to. Right now the vis is 1.5 mile. no good. winds are awful to boot.

Kitfox Aircraft
08-22-2015, 10:37 PM
A perfect ending to a GREAT Fly in! Surrounded by terrific people.... Makes it all worth it!!!

Av8r3400
08-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Sorry I missed it. Hopefully next time… :o

skbenson
08-23-2015, 08:16 PM
What a great time Kathy and I had at the fly in. Really fun meeting neat people that love to fly and build fun airplanes. The CAR trip home will be the last, Next time we'll fly ours up and experience the breakfast at Sulphur Springs. Thanks John and Debra for all the work putting that together.

SkySteve
08-23-2015, 08:40 PM
Kris and I are home and tired, but it's a good tired. We had a great time. John & Deb, you did a great job. Thanks to all the sponsors, too. Even though the smoke was bad, it was a wonderful time. This fly-in provided more time to talk with others and get to know them. We met new people and made new friends. Being together in a couple of hotels was a good idea. Thanks again for a fun time. See you all two years in the future!

Kitfox Aircraft
08-24-2015, 03:09 PM
We just want to take a moment to thank EVERYONE who made our Fly-In this past weekend a total success!!! Despite the smoke we had a great time and enjoyed the company of those who made it. And for those who planned to attend and were unable to for whatever reason, we missed you and hope you can attend next time!. Thank you to our many sponsors for their contribution to the dinner and raffle.

Event sponsors:
-Rotax flying and safety club
-Western aircraft
-SPOT
-MzeroA.com
-Hazebusters
-AeroLEDs
-Dream scheme designs
-Kitplanes magazine
-Foreflight
-Sulpher Creek Ranch

Thank you to Stick & Rudder Aviation for coordinating our breakfast fly out and briefing the night before! Well presented and professional as always!

And lastly, thank you to John and Debra who put in countless hours to make the event happen!

TahoeTim
08-24-2015, 03:51 PM
It was a great weekend. We enjoyed meeting everyone and putting a face to the forum handle. Thank you John, Debra, and the whole Kitfox family. It was fun to meet the people who built my kit.

Nancy and I are still here in Idaho. I finished my first day of training with Stick and Rudder. Aaron is great and I am frustrated with my skills but I will get the hang of it. I don't have good coordination skill. That ball is p###ing me off!

I can't wait to get home and push my build over the finish line.

DesertFox4
08-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Random Factory fly in photos. More soon.

jiott
08-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Some more fly-in photos of the backcountry excursion. The last one is yours truly to prove, mostly to myself, that I actually did it. My first time in the Idaho back-country. Many thanks to Paul Leadabrand and Preston Riley for my excellent sport pilot training two years ago that prepared me for this kind of fun flying.

Paul Z
08-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Just a little smoke. Looks like you had fun! I love the panoramic photo of all of the Kitfoxs.

HighWing
08-26-2015, 10:31 AM
I also have to chime in with a thanks for the pictures and reports. I do confess firm plans to be there that were mitigated to extinction by the many fires and attendant issues. In my case, Two days before the fly-in I flew to Jackson, a half hour or so south of Cameron Park for a BFR, and in the smoke it wasn't fun. I then projected that onto a six hour flight and didn't like what I saw in my mind.

Again thanks for the reports and pictures. It looks like fun overall.

DanB
08-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Desert Fox 4 and I flew two-ship up from Phoenix and did have to battle the smoke from CA while flying through NV. It turned marginal at times but we were able to maintain a visual of each other as well as the ground.

The arrival at McCall Friday around noon kicked of this great weekend. The McBean's were there with tables set up outside the FBO handing out t-shirts and refreshments.

Planes flew in throughout the afternoon connecting friends that had not seen each other for two or more years.

Friday night we were treated to a nice dinner and Paul Leadabrand of Stick and Rudder Aviation (http://www.stick-rudder.com/)gave a detailed pilots briefing for the following mornings flight.

DanB
08-27-2015, 05:57 AM
Saturday morning came with much anticipation. The smoke was a factor and did change the original plans. We were going to fly out in two groups of about 9 planes, but the call was made to cancel the gaggles. Flying into the strips with those numbers in good visibility may have been a challenge, but for this day...the smoke forced us to play the card of safety. Several chose to go in small groups. As a "flat-lander" from Phx. with almost 0 time mountain flying, I was fortunate to find that Stick an Rudder had an instructor (Aaron) available to keep me out of trouble. It turned out to be an awesome learning experience as our first strip was Sulfur Creek. Many went in to have breakfast and had a great time.
9681 9682 9683 9684 9685

DanB
08-27-2015, 06:31 AM
While at the Sulphur Creek breakfast, we learned that Galen Hanselman (author of several books) was there. He had copies of Fly Idaho there so I took the opportunity and had him sign a copy. If you are interested in one of these book sets, I learned that Kitfox Aviation has them available.

Next it was off to Indian Creek

DanB
08-27-2015, 06:40 AM
Our last strip was Johnson Creek and she did not disappoint. A nice lineup of Kitfoxes and a shot of Aaron (my instructor with Stick and Rudder). Thanks again Aaron for the assist!

Rooster
08-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Wow! Wow! Wow!
You people don't realise how much those pictures mean to me, as I have just finished a book on Idaho back country flying by Dick Williams and another by Harold Dougal!

It is stunning to see the airstrips that they write about in your photo's.

And that sign "Salmon Air", made me relive the stories those pilots have written about......

Thanks guys, and I wish we South Africans could join you lot for one of those fly-inns.

Reid

Slyfox
08-27-2015, 10:26 AM
looks like a good time. I had to make a decision based on safety. between here and there was very bad. Looked like a lot of smoke there. I followed the reports and at McCall was with a poor vis on Saturday and sunday looked real bad also. I been trying to fly around here with 5 mile vis and it is real tough. Last night at about 6 I went up and did some pattern stuff, it was 5 vis. I thought, I'll go out for a little run about 10 miles away. I was playing around and kept the tower for felts on. A super cub went up for pattern work and all of the sudden the tower told the super cub that the vis is going down. He set up for landing and I raced back. I do 120mph so I did make it back right after that, but 3 miles out it was like bad. Tower was concerned and I was talking to him. I had to use the gps and follow the river back, I could see that. I have 3000hrs out of this airport, it still scared me. I got lined up and when I was 1000 feet out I could see the runway real good, I told the tower, his response back was, I can't see the runway, I said, I can. landed and that was that. I didn't like it. The tower guy said it was like 2.5 to 3. to him. THis came up real fast, I think within 5 minutes at best. :eek:

DesertFox4
08-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Steve, I can sympathize with your visibility concerns. 3/4 of mine and Dan B's flight from Phoenix to Homedale was in like smoke and visibility. The back country strip flight was worse. Really couldn't have made the back country strips without Paul Leadabrand and Preston and Aaron and John McBean and Brandon leading small flights in and out. Really spooky at times with no horizon. I was happy I had synthetic vision on the IPad and the Stratus 2B. Dan had a Dynon and he and I had Aaron to keep us well. We had a blast and all but safety was upper most. I couldn't imagine trying to lead 8 or 9 aircraft in two gaggles as planned. Would not have been wise.

HighWing
08-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Steve, I can sympathize with your visibility concerns...... I couldn't imagine trying to lead 8 or 9 aircraft in two gaggles as planned. Would not have been wise.

This pretty much says it all as far as my decision not to venture out. I had a wing man lined up but he wasn't able to complete some work on his airplane. I would have felt much more comfortable with another set of eyes, ears and brains to help evaluate what we were doing.

Slyfox
08-27-2015, 01:44 PM
I myself ain't gonna fly unless I can see and respond on my own.

DesertFox4
08-27-2015, 02:32 PM
We could always see about 3 airplanes ahead with good spacing and could see down so small gaggles were ok with experienced leaders who by the way knew exactly where they were at all times. You had forward visibility even in the worst smoke and could see the mountains , but some would not feel comfortable in this situation I understand.

My advice to those thinking of Idaho back country adventures. Get some training from the experts in this type of flying if you've never flown there before regardless of how many hours you have in the log book.

Slyfox
08-27-2015, 02:41 PM
I fly in the mountains all the time, taken several mountain classes. the biggest thing I've always been told is make sure there is good visibility and no winds over 15 kts.

jiott
08-28-2015, 09:44 AM
To make clear the safety of this flyout, we were all on our own in small groups of 2 or 3, no official leadership or encouragement to go by the Kitfox people. I was with Scott and Doug who had been here in the backcountry before. There was safe spacing between the groups. We had about 3 miles visibility at all times and could see the ground and canyon walls to the sides and the planes in our small group. A canyon wall coming up was easily seen in plenty of time to maneuver (the climb rate and maneuverability of the Kitfox really gives a great safety margin here). Most of us also had GPS moving maps as a backup for terrain reference and elevations around us. The only thing I found somewhat stressful was the lack at times of a defined horizon ahead, but by frequent reference to my attitude indicator it was no problem to keep wings level, along with constant reference to the ground.

This is just my take on the flyout as a relatively new 400 hr pilot and certainly no expert on the subject. I found it to be a valuable experience and a lot of fun and at no time felt unsafe.

DesertFox4
08-29-2015, 07:03 PM
More Kitfox Factory fly in photos.

DanB
08-30-2015, 03:05 AM
Great pics Doc!

Rooster
08-31-2015, 12:10 AM
Oh Man!

Those beauties! Those mountains! Those airstrips!

What a match-up!
Like a good cabernet sauvignon and chocolate together......

Really jealous here in SA.