PDA

View Full Version : Mag switch on 912 ULS

Tomfox
01-22-2015, 05:16 PM
The installation manual for the 912 ULS calls for a 250V, 0.5A switch for the mags (or ignition switch as they refer to it). All of the switches I find at Aircraft Spruce or other places are rated only for 125V, but much higher amperage. Are these ok to use in this circuit?

Thanks
tom

Av8r3400
01-22-2015, 06:38 PM
I would think that would be fine. Remember the Rotax manuals are all from Europe where 220 vac is the norm.

Just stay away from the left-righ-both-start switch.

Kurt.A
01-22-2015, 07:29 PM
The installation manual for the 912 ULS calls for a 250V, 0.5A switch for the mags (or ignition switch as they refer to it). All of the switches I find at Aircraft Spruce or other places are rated only for 125V, but much higher amperage. Are these ok to use in this circuit?

Thanks
tom

To find the load carrying ability multiply the voltage by the amperage.
V x A =W
ie.
220 volts X 0.5 amps = 110 watts.
125 volts X 1 amp = 125 watts.
In actual usage if you are drawing 5 amps at 12 volts you would require a minimum load rating of 60 watts.

jiott
01-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Just stay away from the left-righ-both-start switch.

This is a very controversial topic and you can read many strong opinions on both sides if you do a search on this forum. Many of us have used the left-right-both-start switch that comes in the kit and most of the factory SLSA's have used it for many years now with few problems. I just hate to see this comment thrown out there as if it were a done deal with most people agreeing, because that is not the case.

Tomfox
01-23-2015, 03:37 AM
I have read many of the posts on the failures of the left-right-both start switch. In order to avoid restarting a religious subject, I won't post my opinion on those failures. But - I always wanted separate mag switches when I flew my Cherokee and that is what I wanted. However - if I am getting one of the LRB switches in the kit - what part of the kit does it come in?

Thanks
tom

Marvk7
01-23-2015, 04:47 AM
It comes in the firewall forward kit .