PDA

View Full Version : Piloting from the right seat

steelhead37
01-20-2015, 12:23 PM
I was just wondering if any other kitfox pilot's fly from the right seat. I like the idea of having my right hand on the stick and my left on the throttle. Any thoughts about problems? Any info or pics would be cool.

Thanks,
Eric

Building/covering
7SS

N981MS
01-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Had same thought but set mine up conventionally with pilot on left. I have flown it from right also. There is absolutely no problem with transitioning. In a Cessna you fly with the left and throttle with the right. Just not a stick. The controls become second nature pretty much instantly.

If you ever think you might possibly sell it, definitely set it up conventionally. If you want a conversation piece do it the other way. Some have done it pilot on right and like it but its not for me.

kitfoxnick
01-20-2015, 03:33 PM
I've never had a problem going from left to right. Such as a cub or decathlon then back to the Kitfox.

Dave S
01-20-2015, 04:05 PM
I fly our S7 out of either seat although I have more time in the left seat. I figured I had to do that anyway during Phase I testing since the aircraft has dual controls and the requirement is to test everything anyway. I have brakes on both sides & Throttle is in the center. As far as the flight instruments are concerned - they are centered on the left side but it is an easy glance across the panel plus we all fly VFR primarily by attitude reference anyway (Right?)

As far as transitioning from one side to the other - A person's hands are opposite on the throttle & stick for the right side - a person's fine touch will not be as good at first IMHO because opposite hands, which are not accustomed to it, are used. The site picture is a little different but the big stuff is the same. I wouldn't recommend going out and flying right seat the first time on a day the birds are walking because of the wind. Can't comment on a tailwheel aircraft as ours is a nosewheel.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear
912ULS WArp Drive

SkySteve
01-20-2015, 07:35 PM
My flying buddy flies a Bearhawk (side by side seating). Last year we flew together quite a bit, with two planes, and one plane, both in my Kitfix and both in his Bearhawk. I've got about 20 hours flying his Bearhawk from the right seat. It wasn't much of a problem getting used to it.

t j
01-21-2015, 07:04 AM
I have flown a cub a couple times. Throttle in left hand and stick in the right was easy enough as long as I had time to think about each maneuver. The cub reacts slower to control inputs than Kitfox does so I thought.."This is easy to switch over to".

Until......I tried a stall with full flaps. As soon as I retracted the flaps the nose pitched down...Kitfox pitches up when flaps are retracted you know...that surprised me and without time to think about what to do my throttle hand and stick hand stall recovery mussle memory took over resulting in some very impressive pilot induced oscillation.

Just beware it may seem easy at first but the conversion takes a few hours doing maneuvers with an instructor to bail you out.

Dave S
01-21-2015, 10:16 AM
TJ,

I think there is a lot of wisdom in your comments......Muscles and nerves undergo some kind of "learning"...when we use a different set; ar, use the same ones for a different purpose....it isn't always immediately intuitive.....as you said.....a person has to think about it for a minute.

Dave S

steelhead37
01-21-2015, 10:41 AM
I was so used to my fathers other airplane, called a Q-2 or Quickie 2. That we built when I was a kid. It was a rutan design, canard wing, throttle on left, stick in the center. But our second plane was a Cessna 120, throttle on the right. This was the plane I soloed in on my 16th birthday. Flying fighter simulators, the throttle is always on my left side. Like was said before, resale value if set up reversed might cause me a problem down the road. Thank you for all of you're input. I will set it up standard.

Thanks,
Eric

Micro Mong Bldr
01-27-2015, 06:07 AM
Never had any trouble switching. Probably different person to person depending upon how "handed" each person is. I'm lucky, equally uncoordinated on both sides! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Larry

av8rps
01-29-2015, 08:43 PM
I agree with what TJ posted;

I occasionally fly different aircraft requiring me to switch hands from what I am normally accustomed. Initially it always feels a bit weird, but learned that after I stop thinking about it so much I find myself adjusting to it rather quickly.

But I suggest anyone switching between planes be aware of the fact that if you have an emergency (like an engine failure on takeoff, e.g.), you might have to rely on reflex rather than the ability to process your hopefully very quick thinking to your appropriate hands. And not always will your hands do the right thing in that scenario. I had a situation like that once when flying a friends new plane, and it almost didn't end well :eek:

So I would suggest anyone wanting to switch sides go out with another pilot or instructor so you can fly from the right seat until you are comfortable and confident flying from that side.

I always wondered what they were thinking when they decided to build airplanes where you would have to reverse use of your hands depending on which plane you are flying? It was pretty dumb they did that, and only dumber that they never standardized the controls after all these years. Just imagine how many car wrecks there would be if every other car had tbe gas and brake pedals reversed?

TahoeTim
01-29-2015, 10:15 PM
I don't think it's quite that dramatic. The more accurate analogy is steering a car with either hand; something we do every day.

Paul Z
01-30-2015, 02:42 AM
I had never flow a Stick prior to getting a Kitfox, I purchased mine, went up with John for an hour or so and then started flying it. It actually was pretty easy to get use to. Breaking some of my old BAD habits like landing too fast has been harder than getting use to using my left hand to Take Off & Land.

av8rps
01-30-2015, 02:48 PM
I don't think it's quite that dramatic. The more accurate analogy is steering a car with either hand; something we do every day.

I disagree. Most of us are creatures of habit, and develop our automatic motor skill responses from habit. And since flying light aircraft like a Kitfox can require quick reflexes sometimes, especially in an emergency situation where you have little to no time to think, you may need to rely on your automatic response.

My opinion on this is based on having an engine failure 75 ft off the ground with most of the short runway behind me, in an unfamiliar aircraft being flown with stick in right, throttle in left when I was used to regularly flying both of my own aircraft with stick in left and throttle in right. Oh, and fwiw I learned to fly in a J-3 Cub, and later had learned to fly a Pitts S2. So I did have some experience switching "sides", but hadn't done so in the previous 5 yrs to that incident.

To better explain my point, how about comparing flying on the right to driving a stick shift car in England when you grew up driving in America? Millions have obviously done that successfully. But since I have three people around me today that have gone to England, I asked them how they felt about driving a car from the right side? Consensus was it freaked them out for at least the first few days, and were just happy they didn't have a wreck in heavy traffic. I asked if any of them had driven a standard transmission while there? Nope, all were automatics. And the one that drives a standard transmission VW here in America replied by saying "God no! That would have been really nuts".

And honestly, even that comparison is not accurate as we all know that flying a Kitfox (or any plane for that matter) is a lot more difficult than driving a car.

So I think it is a dis-service to tell our pilot friends here wondering about flying from the right side that it is no more difficult than steering your car with your other hand. After all, who doesn't occasionally steer a car with either hand? That in my opinion is not even close to an accurate comparison.

And yes, there are those like you that are very fortunate and can adapt to things like that easily. But that's not the norm. Those that can write, golf, bat, shoot pool, throw a football, play tennis, etc, etc, equally well with either hand I'm sure would adapt quicker. But how many of us are ambidextrous? Most people can't comb their own hair or brush their teeth with their other hand.

So I see no harm in telling people to get comfortable in the right seat by having another pilot fly with them? That's all I'm saying.

KFfan
01-30-2015, 02:58 PM
A fail-safe is not only a good idea, I feel it is mandatory.

FWIW, I don't intend to try it....