PDA

View Full Version : induction/heat box

ken nougaret
01-19-2015, 05:08 PM
I need opinions. Im installing an O-200 and the firewall forword kit came with a nice new heat box. However there was no mention of what to use to feed the heat box with air(filter assembly). Where to mount a filter etc with a scat tube? I cant even find a filter assy that isnt a heat box from aircraft spruce. Im thinking of just using the old heat box off the engine.

beeryboats
01-19-2015, 05:15 PM
I would check out WagAero for inspiration.

mr bill
01-19-2015, 06:19 PM
I would not run it without an air filter of some sort. Will the old box mate with what ever you are using for a carburetor? That would also give you carb heat. which is a must with an O-200. Can you fabricate an adapter for a Brackett filter that would attach to the airbox in the picture?

ken nougaret
01-19-2015, 06:23 PM
The old heatbox will match up to rotec tbi i am using. I will definitely have a filter and carb heat.

ken nougaret
01-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Can you fabricate an adapter for a Brackett filter that would attach to the airbox in the picture?

Thats the other thing i was thinking of. But its hard to believe that i would have to fabricate such a thing. Why isnt such a thing for sale?

vetdrem
01-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Ken, here is some discussion on the airbox for the rotec tbi.

http://www.rotecaerosport.com/faqs/tbi-air/

They even have drawings of good and bad ideas.

Hope it helps.

Louie

ken nougaret
01-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks louie, im gonna check it out

MotReklaw
12-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks louie, im gonna check it out

Ken did you ever get this problem solved.? I saw on the list of "Customer Sourced Items" that Kitfox gave me a K&N filter. If the description is right I think it will fit in the air induction hole in the baffling, then the scat tubing will run down to the carb heat box intake.

I'm lost. The instructions just stopped when I got to the air induction. No documents, just some parts with KF part numbers but no instructions/drawings. Dunno what happened....

Tommy Walker in Alabama

ken nougaret
12-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Hi Tommie, I never found anything that I could buy. So I made a cone type shape out of fiberglass that would fit a filter at the inlet end and scat tube at the other. Not perfect, but hoping it will work when the time comes.
Haven't heard from you in a while, are you back working on the project? Ken

MotReklaw
12-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Hi Tommie, I never found anything that I could buy. So I made a cone type shape out of fiberglass that would fit a filter at the inlet end and scat tube at the other. Not perfect, but hoping it will work when the time comes.
Haven't heard from you in a while, are you back working on the project? Ken

I've had cancer and that slowed me down. I'm gonna call the McBeans and check on the do:umentation. I ordered the k& n filter today. Hope it works I'll post a picture of the results. I need two flanges for the carb heat and cabin heat hoses. Any leads would be appreciated.

I'm still here and still working but it's been slow for the past 18months

Paul Z
12-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Tommy hope you the best with you cancer. I have been there done that. It took me 2 years to start feeling better, but I'm still not 100%, and I doubt I ever will be. Good luck with your fight.

ken nougaret
12-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Tommy, sorry to here of your health situation, i had wondered what you were up to.
Send some pics. I'll pm you with pics within a week. Take care, ken

MotReklaw
12-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys. I'm better and that's good. Holding to get this project running by spring. Ken I've ordered the k&n filter hope to get it next week. Would like to see your pics of carb and cabin heat.

Thanks,

ken nougaret
12-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Tommy, heres a few pics of what i made. Im not real happy with it, so if you get something better i will change. I have the rotec tbi not carb, but using the same heat box. Not gonna have cabin heat. Ive had my pa28-180 for 11 yrs and never put the heat on. Ken

MotReklaw
12-15-2015, 10:46 AM
That looks good Ken. I'm not familiar with the tbi carb, but the rest of your setup I can follow. I won't know about my fresh air intake until I get the K&N Filter. We think we've got the whole thing figured out but.... will wait till we get the filter.

Where did you get the flange on your baffling for the carb heat? We didn't get one with our engine kit.

ken nougaret
12-15-2015, 11:01 AM
I ordered the 2" alum flange from aircraft spruce. p/n 08-04135

GWright6970
12-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Tommy,
You are in my thoughts and prayers....positive thinking...you WILL BEAT THE CANCER! It's great to read that you are back on your build!! Looking forward to see how you approach this part of your build.

Grover

MotReklaw
12-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Thanks Grover. The. C word made me rethink a lot of things. I appreciate the things I took for granted; wife, two daughters, 4 grandsons, my brother, my building partner and so on. My belief in a higher bring is stronger too.

Ken, I ordered two of those flanges, should be here by Friday. Will send pictures.... thanks

ken nougaret
12-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Tommy, i sent you a pm.

MotReklaw
12-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Here's a picture of my air induction system. Thanks Ken for the lead on the sleeves to hook up the Hot Air and the Cabin Heat.

The Air filter is a K&N filter, recommended by Kitfox. I think this is going to work well for us. Now, to continue hooking up the throttle, mixture, and heatbox cables. Here's a picture.

Ken, I'm supposed to talk with my mechanic tomorrow and I will PM you what he says....

MotReklaw
12-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Couldn't upload pic earlier

mr bill
12-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Amazing how you got everything suspended from the ceiling.

Pilot4Life
12-22-2015, 02:55 PM
And just a quick flip of the stick (with some rudder to keep her straight) and voila...

ken nougaret
12-22-2015, 03:45 PM
I like that tommy. May i ask the price?.
Does it connect to a 2" scat tube?

MotReklaw
12-22-2015, 03:46 PM
And just a quick flip of the stick (with some rudder to keep her straight) and voila...

HAHAHA!!!!

Thanks! I tried to upload it from my computer and it kept stopping and kicking me out of the forum. I was able to upload the pic from my tablet, but somehow the picture got flipped. Believe me, I don't fly upside down....

MotReklaw
12-22-2015, 03:59 PM
I like that tommy. May i ask the price?.
Does it connect to a 2" scat tube?

Ken, Kitfox supplied a 2" flange of 1/8" material with my kit. It fits in the inlet hole and the K&N filter attaches on one side and the 2" scat tube (sceet tube?) attaches on the inside and runs to the Kitfox heat box.

The filter cost about 45.00. As you probably know, the filter can be washed and dried and sprayed with the K&N oil so it can be reused many times.

I can get you the p/n for the 2" flange I think. Also the p/n for the filter when I go to the worksite tomorrow morning.