PDA

View Full Version : Foreflight App vs Garmin pilot App

dalords
01-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Has anyone used either the Foreflight App or the Garmin Pilot app? How well do they work? do you loose the ability of the moving map when you lose a wifi signal? Living I idaho we have a lot of back country stripes, I worry that if using one if these apps to help navigate they wouldn't work very well due to not to many wifi towers out in the woods. Would It just be better to use a Garmin gps unit? What's the advice out their

Paul Z
01-12-2015, 09:42 PM
I flew Foreflight fro Texas to Idaho and back. It worked fine, only issue is Apple is **** poor in the Sunlight.

jrevens
01-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Has anyone used either the Foreflight App or the Garmin Pilot app? How well do they work? do you loose the ability of the moving map when you lose a wifi signal? Living I idaho we have a lot of back country stripes, I worry that if using one if these apps to help navigate they wouldn't work very well due to not to many wifi towers out in the woods. Would It just be better to use a Garmin gps unit? What's the advice out their

You only need the internet connection to load or update maps & info. You then use a GPS signal source (GPS receiver built into tablet, Stratus, Bad Elf, etc.) that locates your position & enables the moving map. No wifi needed in the air. They work very well. There are all kinds of discussions about these programs on this forum.

N981MS
01-13-2015, 06:24 AM
I have used Foreflight for 4 years and like it a lot. To have a standalone Ipad with GPS you need an Ipad capable of utilizing a cell service data plan. You do not have to use or pay for a data plan but the gps chip is only in those Ipads.

ie Ipad 3 wifi +3g.

All Ipads are wifi but a wifi only Ipad will not have a gps chip. You could still pair it with a separate GPS receiver. Some say these external GPSs are better but I have never had an issue with the internal Ipad GPS.

Here is a spirited link.
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5992&highlight=foreflight

Maxwell

n85ae
01-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Android tabs cost 50% what the iPad's do, and the Garmin Pilot works very well.
I have a Samsung Galaxy which I have it on. Total investment with Garmin
Pilot installed < $300

Jeff

n85ae
01-13-2015, 02:20 PM
If you are REALLY cheap, get an Android Tab and put Avare on it (free).

Jeff

KFfan
01-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Guess I'm REALLY cheap, but happy :)

dalords
01-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Safe to say then that my iPhone 6 would run firelight ok, even in the back country without losing a signal because it has built in GPS

n85ae
01-13-2015, 08:49 PM
Actually Avare is a very nice piece of software, the map resolution is
not as good as Garmin, but otherwise it's really nice. I like the way they
handle approach plates, etc. as well.

Jeff

Guess I'm REALLY cheap, but happy :)

N981MS
01-14-2015, 08:56 AM
What happened to the "I only fly with paper Jeff that we all know and love?" Is he turning to the dark side?;)

airlina
01-14-2015, 11:26 AM
What happened to the "I only fly with paper Jeff that we all know and love?" Is he turning to the dark side?;)

Maxwell , you got to him before I did , and I don't want to pile on,but I will-what sayest thou Jeff? (All in fun with the IO-240 group) Bruce

n85ae
01-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Okay this looks bad ... Yes, yes, I know we look disheveled and just crawled
out of the back seat ... But it's not what it looks like, honestly ...

Kurt.A
01-17-2015, 10:09 AM
So in everyone's opinion what are the ups and downs of Foreflight vs. Garmin pilot? Are the features between the 2 similar? Which is more user friendly?

Kurt

n85ae
01-17-2015, 10:47 AM
They are pretty much the same, if you go with the Apple solution you're in
the $600+ price range, if you go with Android you can get by nicely for under
$300. Which is part of the reason I'll never own anything that says Apple
since it's always been overpriced ever since the days of Mac Plus, Macintosh,
etc. Lot's more money for eye candy, but not much functionality over their
competitors.

Foreflight doesn't run on Android.

Jeff

kmach
01-17-2015, 12:15 PM
I started using foreflight in October 2013.
It was the only one at that time that had Canadian Navcanada data.
Foreflight totally replaced all my chart , cfs etc...
It covers all my needs and requirements for Canadian airspace.
Maybe others have that now , but that was and maybe still is an issue now.

P Morel
01-19-2015, 08:07 AM
I've been using fore flight for 2 years now with my iPad mini and it's easy to use.

For $99.99 a year, you get current chart updates for the lower 48, current fuel prices, weather radar, approach plates, documents, airport data, runway diagrams, meters and my favorite, synthetic vision.

There are many more extras too. It's by far, the best bang for the buck. Also I never had a problem seeing my iPad mini screen in the daylight while flying.

And the great thing is the iPad is used for so many other things than just a GPS.

Check it out - http://www.foreflight.com

P Morel
01-19-2015, 08:11 AM
weather, radar, ]

I meant to say weather radar, not weather and radar.