PDA

View Full Version : speedster mods

Dead Roman
06-14-2009, 11:33 PM
I have been looking for a list of modifications needed to make a standar IV a speedster. The only thing I have seen listed on the Kitfox website is the Tail section airfoil upgrade. Are there any other mods? I realize the wings are clipped but are they really just shortened? If so, does the shortened wing really lower the drag enough to increase the speed much? are we talking about 5-10 MPH or 20-30 MPH? Im sure the shorter wings increase the roll rate but what are the affects on takeoff and landing? how much is stall speed increased? and how far is the takeoff roll increased? Do the shorter wings put less stress on the spars during mild aerobatics.

I want to be able to do aileron rolls and MAYBE a loop here and there. Is a standard IV with all the speedster mods EXCEPT the clipped wing capable of pulling this off? thanks guys, I know thats alot of questions.

SkyPirate
06-15-2009, 02:23 AM
I cant answer any of the above questions but ,..I plan on getting a model 4 and doing all of the above maneuvers,..and I've thought of purchasing a second set of wings and clipping them ,..so I'd have the best of both worlds at the turn of a wrench :)..2 airplanes at the price of one so to speak,.as for the legistics of doing all that,..I'm not sure . the plane would probably have to be inspected in both configurations.

I'm sure one of the mods you won't be able to find for the plane is the "crowbar" add on ... you will need this in order to pry the smile off your face after flying the plane ..:D

DesertFox4
06-15-2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=15&pictureid=440

Kitfox Speedster:

Model 4:
Speedster wings ( one bay less than standard wings)
Airfoil tail surfaces
Electric trim tab
2 smaller flapperon mass balance weights per flapperon
wing strut fairings
wheel pants
thicker windshield ?
gear fairings (original bungee gear)
radiator scoop

Most from memory as I was unable to find any "Company" sales brochures, purchase orders ect. on line listing original Speedster options. There are many Speedsters in service so we'll likely hear from a builder/owner on the definitive specs.

Dead Roman
06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
So, in all reality, I could do the maneuvers stated in a standard kitfox.

jrthomas
06-15-2009, 04:59 PM
The paper work that came with my model IV speedster also listed the VNE at 140 mph. There are a lot of model IV's out there that the owners call Speedsters that only have a clipped wing but the tail surfaces are the standard flat surface, no power trim, and no alieron counter weights. I've not flown mine yet but could any of you tell me about how the Speedster flys compared to the standard model IV. I'm sure the stall speed is a little higher and the roll a little quicker. What about cruise speed. I'm planning on adding VGs after I've flown it for a while. I want to get there as quick as possible and land as slow as possible.