PDA

View Full Version : butt rib - need photos

TahoeTim
01-12-2015, 07:27 AM
I have searched and read the threads on butt ribs. I didn't find photos of what attaches to them so I can figure out how much to trim for folding. I accidentally broke the top strip on one at the rear and am wondering if I can splice it back together, doubling the thickness to prevent future issues.

Anyone have photos of that area?

Tom Waid
01-12-2015, 08:42 AM
I have some photos here! (http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/Kitfox3.htm#Second wing fitting)

I'm not sure they show you what you want to see but, I offer them anyway.

rosslr
01-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Hi Tim,

this link has a few from my build thread too.
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5029&page=38

Bummer about braking the cap strip! I am not engineer, so I would take the no-guess approach and order another from the factory! However, there are others here with both a lot of experience and engineering qualifications who will probably venture an opinion for a fix. May I suggest you post a pic of the damage - you will get more responses that way.

I will take a pic this morning that shows the amount of trim I used and post it later if others haven't in the mean time.

There are also some discussions about the relative merits of reversing the butt ribs to allow more room for drilling the top cap strip for the windscreen. It would be worth thinking about this too if you haven't yet done so.

cheers

r

TahoeTim
01-12-2015, 07:36 PM
I'm not seeing exactly what I am looking. It looks like you cut the tails off the rib forward of the rear wing bolt. I broke the rib past that location so I may be ok.

Thanks guys...

rosslr
01-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Hi Again Tim. Are a few photos I took today - hope that help. You do have page 30 of of the Wing assembly section in the manual I assume? I looked there and the instructions are pretty good. Sounds like you may be lucky with where you broke the rib - yes, you cat it off back there as seen in the photos below.

cheers

TahoeTim
01-13-2015, 06:17 AM
perfect, thanks

the manual isn't that great on positioning the rib but I did find tips while hunting around the forum.