PDA

View Full Version : Sport Pilot License in Canada

jiott
12-30-2014, 02:43 PM
This was brought up by Paul Z in another thread, but does anyone know if there is any progress being made in allowing US Sport Pilots to fly thu Canada? I would dearly love to fly in Canada and transit Canada on the way to Alaska, but this restriction has me stymied.

jiott
12-30-2014, 02:46 PM
If I got a one time class 3 medical for the trip but retained my Sport Pilot certificate would this allow flight in Canada?

Av8r3400
12-30-2014, 04:33 PM
My understanding is that the Canadian government does not recognize the sport pilot certificate. Weather you have a medical or not is immaterial.

If I am wrong on this someone please correct me, because I fly under LS rules and would love to do Alaska someday, too.

SkyPirate
12-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Canada uses ICAO regs to control pilot eligibility, even the ultralight pilots have a class 4 medical, if the class 3 gets dropped for PPL, even a PPL could. Not fly into Canada due to the ICAO reg. the advantage from what I understand if actual pilots make the rules in Canada, if it's brought to thier attention enough in support of allowing SPL to fly into Canada, something might actually be done concerning this,
This addresses the LSA as far as the aircraft, but it states a PPL with 3rd class required for pilot

http://www.copanational.org/CAWMay10%2D1En%2Ecfm

Esser
12-30-2014, 07:59 PM
If you over fly Canada you don't need to clear customs because technically, you were never here. There may be a loophole for the LSA pilot that if you over fly and never land you may never be here. But of course the NAV Canada fee applies so maybe you are in our airspace and privy to our laws.

But that being said and I would say over fly Canada, don't land, don't ask, and don't tell. As long as your insurance company will insure you, you really have nothing to lose. If you get caught, which I am sure you won't, Transport Canada will give you a $700 fine.

This comes with a disclaimer that this is bad advice.

kitfox2009
12-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Hi Esser
I would underscore the "really BAD advice" comment!!! Also I would suggest some very serious modifications to your fuel system if you are flying from the lower 48 to Alaska (even just to the Panhandle) with out landing!!!
Have fun
Don

Av8r3400
12-30-2014, 08:44 PM
A couple farings and some wings, heck, I may be onto something…

http://www.fuel-togo.com/images/418_IMG_1447.JPG

Flybyjim
12-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Is the gas tank steel, stainless or aluminum?

WWhunter
01-03-2015, 08:10 PM
I posed this question to the EAA a year ago. As has been said, you can probably get into and through most of Canada without any worries. It is when you get to our glourious border and your problems will begin. Can't get back into the US without your medical...Kinda ironic huh, you can leave but not get back in...I won't even get started on the illegal alien problem.