PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a weapon on board?

TahoeTim
12-29-2014, 06:52 PM
I got a new "toy" today and I was wondering if you carry a gun on board for survival situations.

Any other gun nuts here?

Esser
12-29-2014, 06:59 PM
In Canada we can't carry hand guns where ever we want. It is pretty tight but I have a factory sawed off double barrel. One with buck shot and one with a slug. How useful it is, hopefully I will never know. But I was also thinking about getting one of those folding .22

This is probably illegal in the US

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/dominion-arms-outlaw-double-barrel-shotgun-12/

jrevens
12-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I do Tim... especially if going into the wilderness (like downtown Denver ;)), for airplane camping, or whatever.

kmach
12-29-2014, 07:11 PM
What are we talking here? .50 BMG Barrett or something slightly smaller?:)

jrevens
12-29-2014, 07:13 PM
In Canada we can't carry hand guns where ever we want. It is pretty tight but I have a factory sawed off double barrel. One with buck shot and one with a slug. How useful it is, hopefully I will never know. But I was also thinking about getting one of those folding .22

This is probably illegal in the US

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/dominion-arms-outlaw-double-barrel-shotgun-12/
It's legal if the overall length is no shorter than 26" and the barrel at least 18", by federal law, here in the USA. Local laws vary... wouldn't want to be carrying that thing around in California, New York City, New Jersey or a few other places I could think of.

SkyPirate
12-29-2014, 09:00 PM
These are cool http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

Av8r3400
12-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Before all of my firearm collection was lost in a tragic boating accident, this was often found on or near my person…

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6918105004/9742394/mvc-073f.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Smith & Wesson model 629

Also tragically lost was my normal carry gun of choice. (I am licensed for concealed carry)

http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13768&d=1361326590

Ruger LCP in a Wallet Holster

Someday maybe I'll buy another gun. :rolleyes:

Paul Z
12-29-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm usually carrying a Colt US Government .380 auto. I check the Reciprocity laws prior to a trip. If the State laws I am traveling in does not have reciprocity laws I leave it at home.

GuppyWN
12-29-2014, 10:04 PM
I too had a tragic boating accident and lost all of my firearms but if I were to ever carry a pistol while flying/hiking/camping I would carry a Springfield .45 with solid points.

SkySteve
12-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Those boating accidents are terrible things. I've lost so many firearms due to boating. But before I took up boating I conceal carried a .380, 38 cal, 357 cal just like my AmEx card. Never left home without one. My friend has a friend who has carried a Winchester model 94 lever action chambered in .357 mag, a .243 and a 7mm Mag in a scabbard strapped to the jury strut when going into the desert. Good stuff.

GWright6970
12-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Carry a weapon? Survival?? NO.... if survival is the mindset, then I like it best when my ride IS the weapon... she brought me home after almost a full year of flying in a hostile environment!

Now for the Kitfox, I am thinking of......... well..... it will be un-fair advantage....

BerkutFX
12-30-2014, 04:42 AM
Smart to always carry in my opinion... I always do. If you conduct any off airport operations then some form of credible self defense is a must. I would not feel secure in remote areas of Southern & West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or California without a weapon these days.

digital_photog
12-30-2014, 06:29 AM
I'm thinking that I should sell my boats. So many tragic boating accidents. :confused:
I too haven't been able to carry since my boating accident.

TahoeTim
12-30-2014, 06:44 AM
Wow, i'm overwhelmed by all the gun enthusiasts here.

I have made a mental note of those of you that have had boating accidents. You probably aren't great pilots either. :D

Here is my new carry on item. I am a lefty and like 1911 style guns.

SkySteve
12-30-2014, 07:32 AM
TahoeTim,
Nice looking Sig. I like the size, and, I hear they float! Good choice.

TahoeTim
12-30-2014, 07:48 AM
too funny

I live at the deepest and largest lake in the US. We have boating accidents here and at 1600 ft deep, nothing is ever recovered. Such a shame...

I like Sigs. I have a 1911 in .45 and the full size .22 Sig 1911 for the wife and son to shoot.

neville
12-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Springfield armory 410/22mag over-under breakdown survival gun. Offshoot of Airforce survival equipment.

n85ae
12-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Hey Grover -

You probably recognize this one ...

Jeff

kmach
12-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Sig is a very nice gun , in my military days I carried a SigSauer P226 for close in, and other heavies for far . The P226 was very nice, worked well in all conditions.;)
For in the kitfox , if I thought the flight warranted it, I would pack a 12 gauge pump shotgun with various types of shells, slugs to bird shot .

BerkutFX
12-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Hey Grover -

You probably recognize this one ...

Jeff

I was also 1st Cav in the 80's... "C Troop 1st/9th Cavalry" then we were re-designated to "C Troop 1st/7th Cavalry" in 86 or 87.

AH-1S "Prod" was my baby! ;)

n85ae
12-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi -

I wasn't in the First Cav, I was Navy (Grumman E-2C's), my Uncle is in
the image I posted (Cpt Enn Tietenberg rt. side) . he was the C/1/9 XO
in 1969 at the time Grover was in the unit. He died a few years ago, and
I ended up as his executor and inherited all of his stuff. During the process
of handling his affairs I met a good many Charlie Troopers.

Regards,
Jeff.

BerkutFX
12-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Very cool! Yes indeed - I served with some of the best and I had some great years serving the US Army!

AIR CAV :cool:

Back in the day we would carry various "small arms & ammo" in the ammo bay of the Cobra. Does the Kitfox have an ammo bay? :D

t j
12-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Fighting fire in Alaska they issued me a 12 gauge with one box of buckshot and one box of slugs. If I wanted bird shot I had to buy that myself. I never loaded the shotgun. A Bell 212 was much more effective at running bears out of camp.

If it came to shooting, the best practice was to dive for a low spot to keep from getting hit in the crossfire. Most all the native crews carried 44s in their packs.

SkySteve
12-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Does the Kitfox have an ammo bay?
Absolutely. Under the passenger seat.

vixenrookie
12-30-2014, 12:28 PM
the real deal! :) made in 1917 , issued in 50's

Spook712
12-30-2014, 01:30 PM
I used to fly around with this ;-) but it's too big for the Kitfox

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71WQw-ImC1L._SX466_.jpg

Paul Z
12-30-2014, 01:47 PM
I used to fly around with this ;-) but it's too big for the Kitfox

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71WQw-ImC1L._SX466_.jpg

Just think hang it on the bottom of the kitfox, put in about 5 gallons, pull the trigger and fly backwards.

Dave S
12-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Regarding John Evan's comment:

" wouldn't want to be carrying that thing around in California, New York City, New Jersey or a few other places I could think of."

For such places afflicted with extreme political correctness......there is an option...may even be affective in certain circles...:D...can easily be purchased at any Wal Mart without a background check.

DS

jamesmil
12-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I carry a ameacan arms 22 mag in my pocket at all times no matter the state laws. I had rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6. When I had to leave the Kitfox in Cheyenne Wo, because of weather and catch a smoker home I had to hide my 22 along with my judge 410 pistol in the Kitfox. Felt naked without it!

GWright6970
12-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Jeff,
YES I do know all four of these Troopers! Our C.O at the time, Maj. Galen Rosher is standing next to your uncle... amazing times!

Your uncle did NOT share this photo with the troop.... he may not have know where it (they) were.... are there others you might have that we can post for the troop?

Please PM me, and we will do this away from the forum.... thanks Jeff!

Cheers,
Grover

FitchUpNorth
12-30-2014, 03:39 PM
I am almost never WITHOUT a weapon, or 5. The big plane has several onboard. I am licensed for conceal/carry. Good idea to check reciprocity laws though. But the only time I ever had even a remote problem was in Indianapolis. Ramp check, asked why there was a box of .45ACP in the galley. LOL I was honest, told him, showed him my C/C card, all weapons licensed to me. As long as they didn't leave the aircraft, he said they had no problem. To me my guns are my insurance. It's better to have them and never need them, then vice versa. Plus, a smart insured has several "policies" Be safe, smart and ethical. Just remember, it's your right to arm bears.....or something like that. ;)
Denny

jrevens
12-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Regarding John Evan's comment:

" wouldn't want to be carrying that thing around in California, New York City, New Jersey or a few other places I could think of."

For such places afflicted with extreme political correctness......there is an option...may even be affective in certain circles...:D...can easily be purchased at any Wal Mart without a background check.

DS
Hah!!! That's a good one, Dave. I might have to get one of those to use against my younger brother. :p

chefwarthog
12-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Well for me, I purchace a 4 pcs fishing rode and a nice 300 WSM BLR Lightweigth, Take Down, Browning level action rifile juste to fit in the fox!!! so I can go hunting and fishing anywhere!!!

Rooster
12-31-2014, 03:42 AM
My kind of people!

I am keen on a .22 Winchester Model 63.

I have one that I tracked down but is very old, and would love to replace my childhood companion with a newer one.

Anyone know of how to get hold of them.

Here in South Africa, you can carry it, but if you get robbed of it and it wasn't in a safe, then they take away ALL your weapons, and as a farmer that leaves me and my wife vulnerable to farm attacks, so I would rather leave them at home and not land where I have to watch out for the big 5.

Of course we don't have bears to contend with like you poor fellows!

Dave S
12-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Chiefwarthog,

I do like the option you have....to be able to go fishing & hunting at the drop of a hat:)

If we could just work a nice grouse gun into the picture - we'd have it all.

How many times have I landed to find a nice hunting ground or body of water containing fish immediately next to the 'port!

A little joke on myself.......I used to fly out of a metro reliever airport populated with jets, turbos and a way too frequent gaggle of canada geese....Cooincidentally, one day I was taking my my old Belgian double 16 pheasant gun in the plane to have some tune up work done on it at another site......on that somewhat busy ramp & training crowd I got the reaction.."Now, Dave.....no reason to take it out on the Geese!"

Oh well.

DS

cap01
01-01-2015, 10:29 AM
i think things are getting confused . personal protection while camping , in my opinion , nothing beats a 1911 . survival if forced down is another story . i would probably starve to death if gathering food with a .45 was what i had to do . some years ago , i think it was h&r made a o/u .223 and.410 that would have made a good gun to carry in the plane . i really should include some sort of a weapon in my survival gear . if i should survive a forced landing in a remote place, i don't plan on being there long enough to get hungry any way because my plb will get help in a hurry. i think they advertise 45 minutes

Paul Z
01-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Protecting yourself in a Survival situation in South Texas. I would be more concerned with Cartel Members trying to rob, or steal my plane on landing at one of the Airport in the Valley, Falfurrias, or Laredo than I would be concerned with survival, and the need for food in a crash landing. I landed at Dallas North after one of my Cross Country, and as I was unpacking the plane the DEA & Plano Police come flying in, they surrounded the plane tha taxied in right after me. Ever since I have referred to small airports like Mesquite Hudson Airport as Mesquite International, it is surprising the amount of nefarious activities goes on in addition to drug running through south Texas airports. I would imagine the same is true for New Mexico, and Arizona.

Besides when my wife helps me to pack for a trip I'll have enough food & water to survive several days.

Lion8
01-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Well, if there is any sort of concern about safety, invoke the "it's always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" clause.

SkyPirate
01-01-2015, 08:57 PM
I've got 2 knifes a flashlight and a lighter, if that isn't enough to hold me over in a temporary survival mode situation then the U.S. army sure wasted it's time training me,... But if I had a choice I'd take an SPS 30-06 with a Burrus scope please :)

Paul Z
01-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Well, if there is any sort of concern about safety, invoke the "it's always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" clause.

I completely concur. However, most people that live in Del Norte , North of the Red River, do not understand the issue with the Cartel, & their hit squads. My family settled in Texas, when it was referred to as Tejas. We have had all kind of nice visitors like Pancho Villa commander of the División del Norte, and ever since my family settled in Tejas. Survival is more than surviving a crash, and finding something to eat.

Paul Z
01-01-2015, 10:09 PM
I've got 2 knifes a flashlight and a lighter, if that isn't enough to hold me over in a temporary survival mode situation then the U.S. army sure wasted it's time training me,... But if I had a choice I'd take an SPS 30-06 with a Burrus scope please :)

Actually a good handgun is more than sufficient, a 30-06 iron sight or scope would be more than sufficient. However, a Tracking Point .308 bolt action would be nice.
http://tracking-point.com/precision-guided-firearms/precision-guided-308-bolt-action

Or maybe a XS4 PRECISION-GUIDED 338 LM BOLT-ACTION, now that would just be the cats meow.
http://tracking-point.com/precision-guided-firearms/xs4-precision-guided-338-lm-bolt-action-hunting-stock

If I didn't have a Kitfox I might consider getting an XS4.

SkyPirate
01-02-2015, 01:08 PM
27,500 for that 338 ..ouch lol I could buy 27 SPS's :)

Paul Z
01-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Yea but you can't miss, and that is out to 3/4 of a mile!

Av8r3400
01-02-2015, 03:04 PM
With my Smith 629, (lost in that tragic accident) you didn't have to hit the target. If the bullet passes by within 15 feet the shock wave from the giant projectile will kill you… :D

Danh
01-02-2015, 09:29 PM
I have a Springfield armory M6 Scout rifle, breaks down in half, and stores in a case or bag. It's an over and under 22 hornet and 410 I also have 410 flares along with the shotgun shells

neville
01-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Danh, Where do you get the 410 flares?

Danh
01-03-2015, 08:26 AM
The 410 flakes I picked up quite a while ago maybe 10 years?, they may not even be any good any more. I remember I had to search hard for them and they were expensive , after a quick internet search today it doesn't look like I will find any more. I may have to go beyond the web to try to replace them

Jfquebec
01-04-2015, 02:59 PM
I look a lot to on internet...the m6 scout from springfield are not in production now...but chiappa make an kind of replica.....the chiappa m6 and the chiappa x-caliber...look's nice

Jch
01-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Picture was taken before I shortened the 50 cal. by about 18 inches. Flys great btw.

SkySteve
01-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Ohio, huh? Thinking much fonder of Ohio now. Nothing quite like a snub nose .50 cal.

ClickClickBoom
01-05-2015, 08:37 PM
While I dont often carry onboard, when I do I prefer one of these:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=juUJdzFFORs
Prop synch is tough, keep buying new props because of timing issues....

Paul Z
01-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Just mount it where the luggage pod goes. We could use one to patrol the southern Border.

Danh
01-05-2015, 09:21 PM
M6 Scout, stainless 22 Hornet, .410 GA 3" + flairs.

Paul Z
01-06-2015, 07:23 AM
Noe that is just cool, I have never seen one before.

WWhunter
01-10-2015, 08:44 AM
I have been on the search for one of those M6 Scouts in SS for quite some time. I occassionally find the blued models but harder to find the ones in SS.
Would prefer a .22/410 but any caliber is good I guess since it sure wouldn't be an daily carried item.

As far as carrying a weapon on board, well, I don't think there have been many days in my life I don't have something. Normally it is either a Kahr PM45/PM9 or my current favorite, an H&K HK45CT. If I know I will be venturing into country with big bears, etc. I carry one of my .44 mag. revolvers.

kitfoxnick
01-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Here's one on Gun Broker
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=461818126

Ain't cheap

WWhunter
01-10-2015, 03:25 PM
LOL...gee thanks Nick....you are a big help!! Trying to make me spend more money? ;)
I have been browsing GB occassionally and of course gunshows trying to find one for a fair price. I should have bought a crate of them years ago when they first came out. No one wanted them back then so they were cheap.

jrthomas
01-10-2015, 05:24 PM
How about the small block Chevy of 22 rifles? http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

jrthomas
01-10-2015, 05:54 PM
The Ruger 10/22 can be bought for less than half the price of that little 2 shot and there are magazines with 50 round capacity. It makes a great little survival rifle, at least down here in the south. The takedown model is a little more expensive but it's easy to pack. For those times when I need to be discrete I like my little Ruger LCP .380 auto. It's much easier to conceal than full size autos. With a pocket holster it's completely undetectable when wearing shorts and t-shirt. Most of the predators we'll encounter down here are the 2 legged kind. I'd much rather be armed with a .45 but most of the time it's just not practical. James Thomas http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html

Danh
01-31-2015, 12:02 AM
Check out this packable unit
Foldable 12ga 3" / 22LR
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2677

Jfquebec
01-31-2015, 03:10 AM
Last week i calling chiappa canada...and they said ,,"we need more order to start production of these caliber"?????
So i wait:(

SkySteve
01-31-2015, 06:44 AM
That's a pretty cool firearm. I have a Rossi chambered in .410 and .17 cal that's always in my 4 wheeler. Or I did have, before the boating accident.

TahoeTim
01-31-2015, 07:54 AM
If I wasn't facing the purchase of a new Rotax 912 engine, this would be my next toy:

Rossi 410/45LC in a revolver

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=190&category=15&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=